Which Major War Had The Best Films Depicting It? WW1, WW2 or Vietnam?

bogey_j

new love, same neurosis..
Daps
there are other wars depicted in film like the American Civil War, the Korean War, Afghanistan, etc. but the three most popular settings for War are usually (in no particular order) World War 1, World War 2 and the Vietnam War. I pretty much consider these their own subgenre of War films at this point because they all feel markedly different from eachother. World War 2 is unique because I don't think there's ever been a war as black or white as this one, with clear "good guys" and "bad guys"; the Nazis and the Axis of Evil couldn't be more villainous if they tried with mass executions, fascist ideologies, genocide, horrific scientific experimentation (Dr. Mengele & Unit 731) rape & pillaging, etc. history is always very complicated & nuanced, but WW2 is as clear-cut as it gets in real life conflict when it comes to who's in the right and who's in the wrong and why the opposition needs to be stopped. it's perfect for storytelling in cinema.

WW1 is a bit different. I think one thing WW1 films have in common is depicting the top military leaders, generals & politicians on all sides as incompetent, indicting them in the sacrifice of an entire generation of young men for minimal gains. playing war as a game of chess, throwing more bodies into the meat grinder, neglecting to see the human cost. All three "All is Quiet on the Western Front" did an amazing job at showing the detachment of the top brass from what was actually going on in the war.

Vietnam, and how it's been depicted, is the most morally gray war. there are no clear good guys or bad guys, just the disillusionment of young men that don't know why their fighting in a country they couldn't point to on a map. if you don't know what you're fighting for, it doesn't matter how much of a military superpower you are; you're going to lose. it's also about the dismantling of grand narratives and the war back home, when the American people really started questioning the true motives of their government. Vietnam films are usually more nihilist in tone.
Though I do think Come and See is the best overall war film, the Vietnam trilogy of Apocalypse Now, Full Metal Jacket & Platoon put it over the top as my favourite setting for War films

• Dap
Reactions: jeh

BobbyWojak

Superstar
Daps
Vietnam, and how it's been depicted, is the most morally gray war. there are no clear good guys or bad guys
:why:

I'd say the French and the US were pretty obviously the 'bad guys'

WW2 with Vietnam being a close second, The Great Escape is a timeless classic, whereas Apocalypse Now, Full Metal Jacket & Platoon are interchangeable.

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
WW2 has been done so much, but it’s arguably the biggest thing to ever have happened in human history.

I was never a fan of WW1 but I watched All Quiet On The Western Front this morning and it’s fukking amazing..probably the best war move I’ve ever seen.

I need to check out some WW1 movies.

BulletProof

Just a B@stard Living in a Suit
Daps
Reppin
Neck ties and boxing gloves.
Vietnam.

It gets a more honest, brutal portrayal of both sides thanks to the shift in political consciousness that took place in American society and culture.

It also asks deeper existential and ethical questions about war itself.

More so than any of that Greatest Generation bullshyt.

Difference between Clint Eastwood and John Wayne.

nose hair

Veteran
Daps
Vietnam

:damn::damn::damn::damn::damn:

3087397_sa.jpg;maxHeight=2000;maxWidth=2000

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
Movies that depict Vietnam also tend to have a dope soundtrack too
The war itself had the greatest soundtrack of all time. Literal beautiful music spawned from that war time. The answer to the OP is Vietnam. shyt is the most interesting war and it has a bunch of nuances to it. There are no real heroes in that shyt.

Daps
Reppin
Chi
WW2 has been done so much, but it’s arguably the biggest thing to ever have happened in human history.

I was never a fan of WW1 but I watched All Quiet On The Western Front this morning and it’s fukking amazing..probably the best war move I’ve ever seen.

I need to check out some WW1 movies.

Did you like 1917? I thought it was incredible

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
There was nothing black or white about WW2. Hitler tried to colonize Europe in the same manner that those awuropean nations had colonized Africa and Asia. Let’s also not forget that Nazi racial ideology and practice was heavily inspired by the United States.

With that said, my favorite war films were Vietnam films. There is something about jungles that make them the perfect backdrop for a war movie.