Where the hell do Filipinos get all that soul?

Admiral Ackbar

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bra, I thought y'all had some of that Espanol in y'all system. My bad. But aren't y'all like a mixture of different races/nationalities or whatever?
Some have Spanish. The Spanish looked down on the indigenous Filipinos and didn't want to breed with them.

We're mostly a mix of Indonesian/Austronesian, Chinese, Arab, Madagascan.

ChatGPT-5

Superstar
Daps
Lol I'm Filipino and have zero Spanish blood.

We have Spanish last names because the Spanish friars forced us to take Spanish names to simplify tax collection. They couldn't pronounce last names like Mangayayam. Gonzalez was easier.

To answer OP, us Filipinos can be accused of being culture vultures. I guess it's because we have been more or less African-American/Black adjacent because of military service. My dad was in the Navy and his friends were AA/Black because he didn't fukk with CACs. All my Filipino relatives on the West Coast also hung out with AA/Black kids growing up because of basketball, music classes, worked at the same high school jobs.
you guys can sing, I'll give you that, but it is just mimicking like someone stated earlier.

I would like to hear traditional non black style singing from the soul to put things into perspective.

Admiral Ackbar

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
you guys can sing, I'll give you that, but it is just mimicking like someone stated earlier.

I would like to hear traditional non black style singing from the soul to put things into perspective.
Maaaan. The 1960s-1970s was the golden era of OPM (original Pilipino music).

Brian McKnight had to drop a song in Tagalog too.

MMS

Intensity Integrity Intelligence
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Auburn, AL
I mean on a socio-cultural level, what is the story behind it. I've never been around any to actually find out, but when it comes to Asians... they are undoubtedly the most soulful. For example:

I can't say for a fact that dude is Filipino but he's gotta be. They're the only ones that sing like that. I can't find the examples I really wanna share but yall know what I'm talking about.... what is that??? :dwillhuh:

i spent good money in the phillipines and they did great work for me :yes:

i wanted to visit but covid happened

ChatGPT-5

Superstar
Daps
Maaaan. The 1960s-1970s was the golden era of OPM (original Pilipino music).

Brian McKnight had to drop a song in Tagalog too.

none of that was original. it was just black music in tagalog. in fact the first video sounded like YMCA by the village people.

I was talking more about ancient music before any idea of english/spanish speaking people. surely there's music before occupation.