Where the hell do Filipinos get all that soul?

pauljerico

Pro
Supporter
Daps
Iam pure Filipino living here in the Phils. and i love your culture..

Singing is everyones past time here ...every household needs to have a karaoke system for house parties..

num123

Speak like a child
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area/Chicago
Lol I'm Filipino and have zero Spanish blood.

We have Spanish last names because the Spanish friars forced us to take Spanish names to simplify tax collection. They couldn't pronounce last names like Mangayayam. Gonzalez was easier.

To answer OP, us Filipinos can be accused of being culture vultures. I guess it's because we have been more or less African-American/Black adjacent because of military service. My dad was in the Navy and his friends were AA/Black because he didn't fukk with CACs. All my Filipino relatives on the West Coast also hung out with AA/Black kids growing up because of basketball, music classes, worked at the same high school jobs.
From the Bay and went to school, worked and was friends with Filipinos all my life. One of my cousins is half as well. Very cool people for sure.

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
R&B/Gospel is still big over there. Like Whitney/Chaka Khan/Luther are like unofficial national guests like their records are played in lots of homes.

Plus both them and Black culture are big on Christianity.

Lady.Libra.

~balance~
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
VII

Twinkie & Dorinda did it way, way better:
Twinkie is a vocal beast and she scats on this song. Dorinda is flawlessly belting on this cut. Harmonizing is zinful.
RIP Mattie.

[For reasons unknown to me, after listening to this, I am thoroughly creeped TF out & very mad, lol.]

Edit - Damned autocorrect

Last edited:

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
The Philippines has a ton of cultural exchange with US Navy men and they are a former Spanish colony who are the most rhythmic of the Europeans.

It's kinda the same reasoning as to why Korea fukks with black culture so much. There's ALOT of Americans there at any given time for a myriad of reasons.

Buddy

Keep my name out of it
Bushed
Daps
Screenshot-20231222-125507-Instagram.jpg