Daps
Reppin
Love

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
Absolutely. Some parts of suffolk were marketed like that as early as the 1920s (ie Gordon heights).

About half of the folks in my neighborhood came straight from the south. I know some folks who came here in the 60s from NC and said it reminded them of home. The other half were those whose folks migrated from the south to NYC first, then moved out to Suffolk in the 60s and 70s. There's some other dynamics at play too, like employment opportunities at all the state mental institutions.
I do believe that some blacks came up here as seasonal migrant workers for some of the larger farms on the east end and wound up just staying.

And then of course there was small black communities that just always existed as early as the late 1800s.
That's interesting. I'd imagine going out that way and encountering a bunch of black folks with southern accents, in the middle of Long Island.

Geode

All Star
Daps
That's interesting. I'd imagine going out that way and encountering a bunch of black folks with southern accents, in the middle of Long Island.
Back in the day, most likely. I had a few friends who 1st gen northerners. My Queens cousins would always say people sounded country when they came to visit. Nowadays, not as much.

However, people behave and dress like they never stepped out the zip code :stopitslime:

And the community is slowly turning hispanic...

:stopitslime:
This sad video. Growing up in the early 90s, it was THE major event of the start of summer.

• Dap
Reactions: Meh

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn keeps on taking it.
Back in the day, most likely. I had a few friends who 1st gen northerners. My Queens cousins would always say people sounded country when they came to visit. Nowadays, not as much.

However, people behave and dress like they never stepped out the zip code :stopitslime:

And the community is slowly turning hispanic...

:stopitslime:
This sad video. Growing up in the early 90s, it was THE major event of the start of summer.
I remember back in the days when Main Street in Hempstead was all black. Now it’s little El Salvador.