When was kayfabe dead to you

Daps
Reppin
NYC
i thought it was real until about 7 years old. i don't remember the exact point in time in which i learned it wasn't, but i do remember hearing various rumblings. we had this neighbor, he was an older dude who loved wrestling, and i remember heading into wrestlemania 8 when hogan was gonna gace off against sid justice, he said something along the lines... "i heard hogan is gonna win and then take a leave of absence".... or something like that.

i don't remember how i reacted on the outside, but on the inside i was like :ohhh::patrice:.... shocked and skeptical at the same time. almost as if a part of me always knew it had to have been fake, but at the same time i wasn't quite ready to give it up yet. and so i think i buried it deep in the back of my mind and continued on like a mark.

my next test came in the form of wrestlemania 9 when giant gonzales smothered undertaker with a chloroform rag. i think i was watchin it with my uncle and he made some snide joke as if to say "aww come on!" when undertaker got back up.:mjlol:. don't remember exactly what he said but it was real hard for me to be in awe of it because there he was just basically no selling the shyt out of it. by this time i think i started to get the hint.

and yet still... when hogan came back and slammed yokozuna and took the title back that same night, i was like :krs::gladbron::blessed::blessed::blessed::stylin:!!!!!! i remember screamin out the fukkin window lmao. i was soooo happy.

so i guess a part of me still believed.

Ben Ovabich

All Star
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
Kayfabe was dead to me when I saw the Undertaker credited as Mark Calaway in that Suburban Commando movie… I was 6-7yrs old back then…

tumblr_lk6c1zRlMb1qis6pso1_500.jpg

GunRanger

Veteran
Daps
I was such a mark. I believed everything. I used to get scared when The Undertaker would come out. I legitimately bought him rising from the casket, and the Taker vs Taker match. I legit bought that Kane was his brother, and all that shyt.

I stopped caring around the mid-00s, when it seemed like everyone took it as a joke. Like wrestlers stopped caring about making it seem real. That plus the internet, and spoilers heightened the scripted nature of it.

I guess the first time I thought it was really fake, was when the WWF restaurant opened in Times Square and guys were all cool with each other. Same with them being on late night shows. I wanted them in character all the time, and I realized something was off then.

:heh: everynow and then they just got outlandish/insulting...WCW with ROBOCOP and CHUCKY :wtf: :why: :comeon:
iuQaGLovuPYPU.gif

iyDfEJ7DZxTds.gif

When Scott hall showed up in wcw and started going by Scott hall and I realized he wasn't cuban:dwillhuh: blew my 10 year old mind

That was the realest moment in wrestling to me. Coming out from the stands was such a genius idea. Everyone thought he was really taking over.

DocZulu

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I don't know exactly when I knew, but I became jaded when Hogan beat Savage after the elbow. The prior Wrestlemania Savage looked like an NBA baller, but now all of a sudden yellow man recovers like a monster from Creature Features. (You g's older than 30 remember Creature Features.)

SMH at Wrestlemania Five.

Trips

Superstar
Daps
Man this sucks. I don't have a vivid recollection of what was the key event. That made me go this is some fake shyt!

It's gotta be something in 91-92. But, I just can't recall. May even be early 93 cause it has to be after the Warrior/Papa Shango stuff. Cause I know I was tripping over what was happening to Warrior.

TNC

Hardbody
Daps
Not gonna lie... the Montreal Screwjob is what broke kayfabe for me.

Not only how that match looked and ended, but all of the antics that followed and then how WCW was clowning the shyt the next day.

I was like... Wait a minute :ohhh:... Bret and HBK hated each other and Bret never taps, but he TAPPED to his own move :hhh:... in his own country :why: and then spit on Vince instead of chasing HBK down :wtf:? Why he so mad if he got beat fair and square... :childplease:... unless... :ohhh:...