When was kayfabe dead to you

Lannister

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It was kind of a slow, complicated process for me. I had always heard it was fake on occasion, but I always disregarded it or rather didn't want to believe it. Then the outrageous stuff started to happen on tv like Mae Young's birth to the hand, the supermarket brawls, fingerpoke of doom.etc stuff like that. Then I saw how the wrestlers behaved off screen like heels talking to and getting along with faces. Then the final nail in the coffin was the internet where I saw the predicted match results, the wrestler's real names.etc so I finally accepted it.

I was at the age though where it didn't really matter anymore, and I think finally finding out for certain that it was fake actually increased my enjoyment of it.

Toe Jay Simpson

Searchin’
Daps
Reppin
Carmel City
Russo era WCW killed kayfabe and then salted the earth behind it

I remember some backstage segment with Lex Luger and Hogan or some two guys and after it was over they slapped five and said "good job" to each other and walked off. Worst thing about it was that even that part of the work, came off as a work...the actual segment between the two against each other came off more realistic to me

Walgreens

Be Well.
Supporter
Daps
When I was about 9 and my grandpa was like, "You know this is fake. Why do you watch this bullshyt?"

:to:

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field
When I was about 9 and my grandpa was like, "You know this is fake. Why do you watch this bullshyt?"

:to:

my uncle did this shyt to me. He was loud and adamant about it, too. Pointed out shyt like wrestlers stomping their foot when they throw punches, signaling moves.....

Selfish b*stard. I think he's always had a grudge against it or something.

It's odd, too. I grew up in a wrestling watching family. One of my fondest memories was of my grandmother hysterically trying to convince my grandfather (his parents, naturally) not to take a shotgun and drive to memphis after seeing Eddie Gilbert hit Jerry lawler with a car.

So I have no idea why my "I wish i was JJ from Good Times" ass uncle grew up with a grudge.

Last edited by a moderator:

ML29

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
My mother told me it was fake when I started watching in the 4th grade, I believed her but didn't care and kept watching anyway.

Rarely-Wrong Liggins

Name another Liggins hot I'm just honest.
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Staff
About the time wrestling got real hot in '97-'98. I was in middle school. It wasn't "real" to most of us, just kind of viewed like a live action comic. When I was younger my brother watched wrestling, this was like early 90s, and I'd catch glimpses. I remember thinking these dudes so mean :wow: Do they even love their mothers? :to: I also saw 1-2-3 Kid get attacked on the way to the ring and I was like :damn::mad::why:

Bob-omb

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Sacramento, CA
When I was 10, my cousin showed me the spoilers to Rock vs Brock at Summerslam

And that Torrie's dad/dawn marie storyline :heh:

CM_Burns

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I had some suspicions but didn't think about it too much until Chucky was threatening Rick Steiner. I had to either believe Chucky was real or wrestling was fake, as a 9/10 year old kid I wouldn't have slept if I believed in Chucky.

A little before that, "but they bleed" was my go to defense.

Ed MOTHEREFFING G

Chances make champions
Daps
Reppin
206 x 734
I had some suspicions but didn't think about it too much until Chucky was threatening Rick Steiner. I had to either believe Chucky was real or wrestling was fake, as a 9/10 year old kid I wouldn't have slept if I believed in Chucky.

A little before that, "but they bleed" was my go to defense.

:heh: everynow and then they just got outlandish/insulting...WCW with ROBOCOP and CHUCKY :wtf: :why: :comeon: