When/How Did Deadpool Become Popular?

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
For me, I don't know when exactly. I had a few random comics back when I was reading comics as a kid (Batman, Spider-Man, Xmen, the regulars)

I noticed him with cable I think and just thought this dude is crazy

But I don't remember what made me like him. I was extremely disappointed how the Wolverine movie made him so I know I was a fan before then. I just don't remember what and where I saw him that made him one of my favorite characters

I was the only person I know excited for this movie and it was actually on the top of my list for most anticipated movies.

I even had the Deadpool game at one point

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
There's a lot of factors to it. I liked him back in the day cuz he looked cool and had guns and swords and killed people with no fukks given. That was before all the comedy and breaking down the wall stuff took over which just increased his popularity and made him unique. So he became a cool character with comic readers but then you add video games to it and then you add the internet to it where he became a meme and then you add Marvel deciding to throw him in a million different series and given all his own little books, and then it's turned up a million through the marketing campaign. It's been a gradual increase in popularity.

that said I never expected the movie to do THIS well. FOX eating off this :wow: :wow: :wow:

R=G

Street Terrorist
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
After Magneto RIPPED Wolverine's admantium skeleton out, he left the X-Men in Wolverine #75. In Wolverine #88, I think he had some confrontation with Deadpool where the cover had Deadpool impaling him on his swords. I REMEMBER that being the point where I paid attention to Deadpool.
35935-4250-40118-1-wolverine.jpg

Birdie

Banned
Daps
Reppin
New York City
Deadpool became popular I think around the late 90s, the fans demanded he be featured more in comics by sending letters to Marvel. MVC3 is what made him more popular to people who were unfamiliar with Marvel.

Daps
Reppin
Charlotte, North Carolina
After Magneto RIPPED Wolverine's admantium skeleton out, he left the X-Men in Wolverine #75. In Wolverine #88, I think he had some confrontation with Deadpool where the cover had Deadpool impaling him on his swords. I REMEMBER that being the point where I paid attention to Deadpool.
35935-4250-40118-1-wolverine.jpg

:ohlawd: WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field
Yeah, comic wise, Deadpool's been popular since New Mutants/X-Force. Even back when Wizard (the comic magazine) was doing Top 10 Back Issues, that first appearance with the ugly cover with him standing there and the mutant faces looking like :dwillhuh: was always in the top 5.

384xNxNew-Mutants-98-600px.jpg.pagespeed.ic.D_G8L-PnUD.jpg

Over the years, got popular enough to get his own series (incredibly written) and he really took off.

Then, I'd say about 5 years ago? Marvel started REALLY pushing him to be their Wolverine replacement. I don't honestly think any of us had any idea what was going on behind the scenes as far as property.movie rights and all that.

The fact that a LOT of people know who the character was before the movie idea was taken seriously..... think of the folks who were mad about the "R" rating. They had never read a comic. They just thought he was a funny ninja who had "chimichangas" as a catchphrase.

That's cause Marvel pushed the shyt like that to the mainstream. 40 year old church moms seeing Deadpool and going ":gladbron: CHIMICHANGAS!! hahaaa :bryan:"

that's all marvel's doing. For a good while, they turned Wade into their Mickey Mouse.

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field
Nope and nope again. Cable & Deadpool sold like crap despite it being one of the best books on the stand around that time and before that Deadpool literally only pretty much appeared in his own series and X-Force.

The big push started with the relaunch of his solo book during Secret Invasion, after which Marvel started putting him in every event book they could on top of constantly putting out limited series of spin-off books (like Deadpool Corps). Almost all those books were crap but character awareness grew, and then mainstream audiences most likely latched on when they started pushing him in video games as well, most of which have been mentioned (Marvel Ultimate Alliance, Marvel Vs Capcom 3 and his own game).

Remember all those Deadpool variant covers?

Marvel had like 60 monthly books, each of those books had a Deeadpool cover that month. Wade had like 5 books out at once. Whenever one ended, 3 more would pop up.

I swear I remember one of us saying "They cancelled Secret Warriors and Captain Britain to put out more Deadpool!?"

lepard

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
All of you are wrong it was obviously that Xmen Origins Wolverine movie

:youngsabo: