When/How Did Deadpool Become Popular?

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
I think over the past 2 years with Ryan Reynold promoting the movie. Before that, he was just another character. Even in the books, he's written as annoying and treated as such.

• Dap
Reactions: flo

Wargames

One Of The Last Real Ones To Do It
Daps
Reppin
New York City
At its core it's been really good writing for a long time kept basically within the terms of a single comic. There isn't a "bad" run and even the team-up stuff is better than average like Cable & Deadpool or great like X-Force. It's funny but Deadpool was the Mutant version of GOTG in that it being a niche book allowed the quality to build naturally and the character(s) to be fleshed out.

Also a lot of that is due to the fact that Deadpool is a million jokes a minute. Then you would see people post panels that were always lmao. In the age of Tumblr and Instagram Deadpools 1 comic panel or 1 comic page jokes makes him really easy to promote.

R=G

Street Terrorist
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
Damn...I saw that Deadpool crushed the competition.... I saw little things on my news apps but I didn't check the numbers. Thought it did something like 70 milli...$hit did 135 million. Makes sense I guess since he's been pushed the hardest in the comic line next to Spider Man and Wolverine....he has ALL kind of top selling books out...wasn't sure it was gonna translate to the box office but it did. Good deal. Can't kill that X-Men line yet, f@ggots.

Cobratron

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
He's been slowly building his fan base ever since his first solo monthly book by Joe Kelly and Ed McGuinness back in 1997. To this day, his books still try to emulate that creative team.

He's the new Wolverine. Which means he's unecessarily everywhere in the comics but still is able to retain his popularity. It's insane how many one shots and minis they've given him over the last 10 years or so, all while keeping a few monthly books as well.

Airtrack360

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
In the comic book universe he's been popular ever since he was introduced. Literally having a role/part in every significant story line in the Marvel Universe.

In regular society, until this movie came out he was just as popular as ironman, maybe a little less, before his movie came out. But thats true for almost all comic heroes not named Batman, Superman, or Spiderman.

Daps
Reppin
Latveria
Marvel were shoving him in everything from comics to cartoons and they even made a video game

My Girl is Bow Legged

JUST DO IT LIKE
Daps
marvel has been pushing deadpool like nothing else for a few years now

it's gotten to the point where his shtick has completely worn thin in the books

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Sometime around his series with Cable probably.

In the comic book universe he's been popular ever since he was introduced. Literally having a role/part in every significant story line in the Marvel Universe.

Nope and nope again. Cable & Deadpool sold like crap despite it being one of the best books on the stand around that time and before that Deadpool literally only pretty much appeared in his own series and X-Force.

The big push started with the relaunch of his solo book during Secret Invasion, after which Marvel started putting him in every event book they could on top of constantly putting out limited series of spin-off books (like Deadpool Corps). Almost all those books were crap but character awareness grew, and then mainstream audiences most likely latched on when they started pushing him in video games as well, most of which have been mentioned (Marvel Ultimate Alliance, Marvel Vs Capcom 3 and his own game).

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
He greatly benefitted from Marvel's stigma of having "cool" characters along with the mouthpiece of an R-rated Spider-Man. Pure $$$ and he has a sword and kills people like Punisher.