When Did Rappers With Zero Substance & Stories Start Getting Away With It?

Iceson Beckford

Rich In Spirit.
Daps
Reppin
Dunya
In honour of Hip-Hop turning 50...

I ask this. When did start becoming acceptable to offer zero insight, introspection or storytelling?

Looking at some of the most popular upcoming rappers, a lot of Gang Members and Sex Workers.

A lot of rappers are starting off as "jokes" then parlaying into serious runs:

Next Up:

Now the Superstar Tier of Rappers from the previous gen E.G Kendrick, J Cole, Drake have all displayed versatility and introspection in their own ways but the newest rappers? Severely lacking in that department :sas2:

Iceson Beckford

Rich In Spirit.
Daps
Reppin
Dunya
define substance and stories :patrice:

For me, you can talk about Drugs & Sex but you need to balance that out with some real life shyt :yeshrug:

Talk about the downs and not just the Ups.

Tell me a story about you or get creative. Tell me about a time you weren't feeling good or you were going through some shyt.

Iceson Beckford

Rich In Spirit.
Daps
Reppin
Dunya
What are they “getting away” with?
It’s on you if you pay them any mind.

I feel like these responses are so lazy and avoidant.

Getting away with having successful careers and offering zero of worth creatively :unimpressed:

How could I not pay mind to the rappers blowing up the fastest? Why are the most popular new rappers starting off as jokes and then becoming some of the fastest growing rappers? Why are essentially Meme rappers prominent in the genre this year

Top 40 Music can be serious or have a decent message too. :skip:

Knucklehead

HMFIC
Daps
Reppin
Montreal #byrdgang
I feel like these responses are so lazy and avoidant.

Getting away with having successful careers and offering zero of worth creatively :unimpressed:

How could I not pay mind to the rappers blowing up the fastest? Why are the most popular new rappers starting off as jokes and then becoming some of the fastest growing rappers? Why are essentially Meme rappers prominent in the genre this year

Top 40 Music can be serious or have a decent message too. :skip:
Not disputing any of this.
The point is that Tiktok is now by far the most powerful force in music.
No ones buying albums and digesting the lyrics at least at the top of what’s most consumed in todays media.
Creating a memorable 30 second or less clip wins the day.
I assume you’re not a 17 year old and that’s who todays music will always be tailored towards.
Times change.
Find stuff you like not what hits algorithms the most potently.

Iceson Beckford

Rich In Spirit.
Daps
Reppin
Dunya
I assume you’re not a 17 year old and that’s who todays music will always be tailored towards.
Times change.
Find stuff you like not what hits algorithms the most potently

Nah I’m 23

If thats too old to enjoy current rap then that says a lot to be brutally honest

I’m pretty checked out of the new stuff starting from this year, just thought I’d ask the question.

NikFuq

Rookie
Daps
Y'all really listening to these rappers whole albums looking for deep songs?

Most the time I just come across the single/ video.

Did Cardiologist B have a introspective song on her album? I have no idea cuz I definitely didn't listen to it.

Iceson Beckford

Rich In Spirit.
Daps
Reppin
Dunya

Well... Yeah :skip:

Is that too much to expect from an artist? No one is saying you've got to be Lauryn Hill. Even ignorant artists in the past would offer some different angles.

When did it become acceptable to not do this? Thats kinda my point. A lot of these artists just living off songs w zero depth or introspection (even if that depth is surrounding Drugs Sex Violence) and Singles.

No one even mentions their albums or projects. Cardi had Thru Your Phone where she spoke about getting Cheated On and how that hurt her but even still her album was actually alright for that standard.

Knucklehead

HMFIC
Daps
Reppin
Montreal #byrdgang

Most the time I just come across the single/ video.

Did Cardiologist B have an introspective song on her album? I have no idea cuz I definitely didn't listen to it.
Cardi album was really good. Besides grumpy people on this site I don’t know anyone who disagrees….

THEREALBRAND

Eterno Menino
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Eu Sou O Segundo
For me, you can talk about Drugs & Sex but you need to balance that out with some real life shyt :yeshrug:

Talk about the downs and not just the Ups.

Tell me a story about you or get creative. Tell me about a time you weren't feeling good or you were going through some shyt.

I bet you love Griselda though :heh:

Complaining about “substance” has always been code for I don’t like who’s popular.