When did Lexus (and to a lesser extent, Acura) fall out of favor with Hip Hop?

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Nah that’s too early imo

Like someone said Birdman was flexing Infiniti SUV and also ugly ass PT Cruiser limos in the early 2000’s. Cam’ron had a Range.

Watch an MTV Cribs I seen Sheed and Melo’s nikkas was rich then even to todays standard and even they had some regular whips in their fleet

Cadillacs was still hot a crazy rapper whip was like a Lambo or Rarri

Tbh I credit Meek with starting the Rolls/Maybach infatuation

That sounds right to me too. The Hype Williams era too, has to be bigger and more grandiose. Like videos like Hypotize, Can't Nobody Hold Me Down, (Rolls) Hate Me Now, were really raising the bar on flossing. Jay had the Bentley couple in 1998 right? I had that poster on my wall in 98. He and JD were rolling in something dope in the Money Ain't A Thang video.

Jay had that Maybach line as far back as 2002 right? Yeah, early 2000's. For rappers like Jay and Nas, in like 1995, that Lex was a big deal. But, post Puff Daddy era, it wasn't anymore. Status and taste and culture all change too, as you get more money. Higher status means you can't follow the trends, you have to dictate them. I just read a book on all that shyt for forgive the academic knowledge.

Yehuda

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Sons in the Bronx call me Lex cause I push a Lex

Daps
Reppin
Chi
That sounds right to me too. The Hype Williams era too, has to be bigger and more grandiose.

Jay had that Maybach line as far back as 2002 right? Yeah, early 2000's. For rappers like Jay and Nas, in like 1995, that Lex was a big deal. But, post Puff Daddy era, it wasn't anymore. Status and taste and culture all change too, as you get more money.
Yea, once the shiny suit era happened, no established artist could name drop Lexus anymore.

nose hair

Veteran
Daps
96’

Snoop was the first one I remember. He was already posted up with a Bentley on the sleeve of Tha Doggfather album cover

Tha%20Doggfather%20%28Front%20Inside%203%29.jpg

Then Jay-Z on the cover of Vol. 2 in 98’

71IedvXIk9L._UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Alvin

Superstar
Daps
Lexus and Ac Viggors were staples of Hip Hop until about....98/99? Biggie was still rapping bout Lex's on LAD, Pun had the Packin-a-mack-in-da-back-of-da-Ac skit in 98...but it's like one day brehs woke up and realized that these are made by Toyota and Honda and dropped them out the lexicon completely.

I'm trying to remember Hov having any Lex name drops on Vol. 2 and beyond, but I think that was kinda the start of it, then Cash Money w/ the Bling Era and it was a wrap...everything moved to bentleys and Rolls etc.

(I do remember a line or too on 400 Degreez about ES300s)

Kinda the same how everyone stopped rocked gold in ~98 for platinum and that lasted a long time too.

These brands still get referenced but more in the "back in the day I pushed a Lex..." type of way, not in the "we made it, just copped the lex off the floor" type way
After they achieved a foot hold in the U.S. so 2000. After that they just became boring.

Daps
In the mid 2000s rappers found out abt Lamborghini and it was wrap from there.:wow:

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

All Star
Daps
If you just get cars and don't understand the basis of their prestige, you're the equivalent of "for the streets", or like a woman without her husband at the car lot

The LS430 and LS460 are :banderas:

The 90s one is when they emerged as a formative threat to German luxury

You know where pre-1996 Tupac sonically sounds like he is on a more old school style of production, that's the 90s LS (like 'Thug Life: Volume 1' or 'The Chronic') but the 2000s LS still looks modern and beautiful to this day (like 'All Eyez on Me' or '2001')

The newest one is probably nice to but they lost me after the early 2000s generation

If you really wanna get into some reliable luxury take a look at that Toyota Century, they don't have them in the US market so gotta wait 20 years to import one

For the uninitiated that just bask off marketing I am going to help set your compass with the tangibles - As a man, what you want is a full size sedan with V8 or better ... and an air suspension. You get mid-size for your wife

Daps
Reppin
NULL
If you just get cars and don't understand the basis of their prestige, you're the equivalent of "for the streets", or like a woman without her husband at the car lot

The LS430 and LS460 are :banderas:

The 90s one is when they emerged as a formative threat to German luxury

You know where pre-1996 Tupac sonically sounds like he is on a more old school style of production, that's the 90s LS (like 'Thug Life: Volume 1' or 'The Chronic') but the 2000s LS still looks modern and beautiful to this day (like 'All Eyez on Me' or '2001')

The newest one is probably nice to but they lost me after the early 2000s generation

If you really wanna get into some reliable luxury take a look at that Toyota Century, they don't have them in the US market so gotta wait 20 years to import one

For the uninitiated that just bask off marketing I am going to help set your compass with the tangibles - As a man, what you want is a full size sedan with V8 or better ... and an air suspension. You get mid-size for your wife
Them centuries look like Japanese rolls Royce, shyts are fire

OrdaineD

Pro
Daps
Them centuries look like Japanese rolls Royce, shyts are fire
You right they do and they are bringing the Century to the States.....but what will hold them back is the Toyota badge.... A Lexus Century sounds more marketable than a Toyota Century; in my opinion. So we shall see how they Toyota does it