When did Lexus (and to a lesser extent, Acura) fall out of favor with Hip Hop?

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
When real rap money started coming in and made Lexus and Acuras looking like regular cat luxury cars.

The lex land cruiser should have never went out of style though. They were hard but if they weren't so shytty on gas mileage I'd buy one right now :ohlawd:
Pretty much.

Lexus and Acuras were nice luxury cars if you had real money, and they were like status symbols in the hood.

Once rappers started making way more money, the more luxurious the lifestyle they rapped about became. And then it went to Benz, then Bentleys, etc...

Same thing happened with watches and clothes. Only a select few rappers was rapping about Balenciaga, Prada, Louis V back then. Now they're commonplace.

<<TheStandard>>

I Am A God
Daps
Raekwon was rapping about Mazda MPV's on CREAM.

At one point in time, Lexus, Acuras were aspirational for rap nukkas.......that's less than one show for a lot of these rappers now. I remember seeing a documentary where Biggie was making like 10 gs a show. Nukkas of his status getting 100s thousands. That puts them in the rolls royce and bentley category.

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
Last sportable AC was prolly the Vigor/Legend. Acura/Honda put their money in with the Super Street/Fast & Furious crew, and stayed in that lane.

Last Lexus that was coveted was the "bubble eye" Lex aka the GS300.

Infiniti - After the G35, they were done.

And overall trends has moved towards Trucks/SUVs and Mayback/Bentley/Rolls on the luxury end, Lambo/Ferrari for super cars, and Bugatti for hypercars.

So the Kingpins are doing those, the soldiers are pushing Challenger/Charger and now the Cyber Trucks...

IMO, If you can't put a big body Gulfstream G700 on spinners, you not really doing it.

Tommy Gibbs

All Star
Daps
when dudes started making millions and buying cars like bentleys, maybachs and others they couldn't afford to maintain long term. shyt, mfers were talking about Suburbans, Acuras, Lexuses, and even 500 series Beamers in the 90s regularly. The broke ass fans would laugh at someone talking about a Lexus on an album now. And these are the mfers catching rides with others and at the bus stop.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Pretty much.

Lexus and Acuras were nice luxury cars if you had real money, and they were like status symbols in the hood.

Once rappers started making way more money, the more luxurious the lifestyle they rapped about became. And then it went to Benz, then Bentleys, etc...

Same thing happened with watches and clothes. Only a select few rappers was rapping about Balenciaga, Prada, Louis V back then. Now they're commonplace.

This.... but also.... rappers who can't afford Louis V are still rapping about Louis V :russ:

shyt, you got rappers talkin bout private jets and yachts. How many actually have that kind of money? A select few...

Mac Ten

Class of 97 !!!
Daps
Reppin
B-More
Prodigy (R.I.P)was probably the only rapper that I knew that loved those cars…. Luda still has his Gold Acura Legend

These days, rappers wouldn’t get caught in one and would rather drive a G-Wagon.

Acura Legends these days have been ran into the ground.

On FB marketplace, id seen a couple for sale