What's your credit card setup like?

Rickdogg44

RIP Charmander RIP Kobe
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
But why have multiple cards?

Amen to the bolded. I just have a single BOA visa card. I charge damn near EVERYTHING and pay it off each month. So it's almost like a debit card, without the risk.
AMEX isn't accepted everywhere :beli: plus they say it is good to have like 4-5 cards (not maxed out with balances lol) that way it increases your credit score with your credit to debt ratio

Czerka

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
But why have multiple cards?

Amen to the bolded. I just have a single BOA visa card. I charge damn near EVERYTHING and pay it off each month. So it's almost like a debit card, without the risk.

multiple cards are also good because a lot of them rotate categories. for example the discover it and chase freedom cards rotate categories every quarter so you can get a high cashback rate for different items and maximize your return over the year. thats a good combination. and other cards are good for racking up plenty of frequent flyer miles. i havent paid for a flight in 3 years.

if you have a stable job and decent self-discipline there is no reason not to have credit cards and miss out on the rewards. building up your credit rating is always a good thing. and staying on track with payments is easy now with smartphones and auto payments.

Czerka

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Daps
multiple cards are also good because a lot of them rotate categories. for example the discover it and chase freedom cards rotate categories every quarter so you can get a high cashback rate for different items and maximize your return over the year. thats a good combination. and other cards are good for racking up plenty of frequent flyer miles. i havent paid for a flight in 3 years.

if you have a stable job and decent self-discipline there is no reason not to have credit cards and miss out on the rewards. building up your credit rating is always a good thing. and staying on track with payments is easy now with smartphones and auto payments.

Ah, this makes sense. I don't want to be bothered with remember which card is for what type of purchase. For now I use a single card that had the best rewards overall :manny:

I'm never carrying a balance tho :scusthov:

theflyest

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Don't own credit cards brehs you NEVER win with them. I own none anymore and don't plan on it, my girl has one which we owe nothing on has like a $5,000 limit and we only keep it in case of emergency.

I use to have this mentality

Credit Cards are a tool just like anything else.

If a person has no self control & is prone to impulsive spending, than I agree they should avoid credit cards.

If a person uses them responsibly, there are a lot of benefits. Purchase protection, cash back, higher credit score, etc

newarkhiphop

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I use to have this mentality

Credit Cards are a tool just like anything else.

If a person has no self control & is prone to impulsive spending, than I agree they should avoid credit cards.

If a person uses them responsibly, there are a lot of benefits. Purchase protection, cash back, higher credit score, etc

:wow: there is not much i can tell you or others breh , but the negatives out weight the positives when it comes to borrowed money , borrowed money is why our economy has tanked , does that apply to 100% of ppl no , but the majority yes

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
How do the cash back cards work? Do they send you a check or put the cash back on your balance or what? I got a power rewards card so I just get points that I can redeem for cash, travel, or other things.
I always take the statement credit because its instant. If I have $60 cash back on a card I go buy a game I want then take the statement credit. I know Chase will mail you a check or deposit it in your account. They were the most flexible. Amex only lets you use cashback in $25 chunks.

Listen

Tell me moar
Daps
Reppin
A few Floors Down from the Daily Grind
:wow: there is not much i can tell you or others breh , but the negatives out weight the positives when it comes to borrowed money , borrowed money is why our economy has tanked , does that apply to 100% of ppl no , but the majority yes
If you dont participate in credit, you wont BE able to participate in credit.

So if you dont mind having NO credit score when that job you want pulls your credit file, or never want to buy a house or a car, keep on keepin on.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Don't own credit cards brehs you NEVER win with them. I own none anymore and don't plan on it, my girl has one which we owe nothing on has like a $5,000 limit and we only keep it in case of emergency.
You can win with credit cards. Credit cards are a tool and if you're responsible and pay your bills on time you get free money back for using them.

Credit cards offer:
Purchase history lookup
Ability to purchase online
Amex gives sync deals like coupons off at retailers ($25 off at Best Buy was one I used)
Cashback rewards
doubles manufacture warranties
Discover offers purchase protection where if you buy something and it goes on sale in so many days they credit you the difference.
If you buy something on day one of your billing cycle and keep current on your balance you can own it for 2 extra months with no payment on it as long as you pay it off on the due date.

Thing is the moment you get a finance charge you lose. If you're responsible its free money for stuff you'll buy anyway. 6% back on my rent annually is over $300 for something I have to pay anyway. Why not take that money back?
You could use the card to purchase something and pay it off instantly with an online payment. you don't have to borrow money to use a credit card. the borrowing part is optional. one could have a policy of if i can't pay the purchase off instantly I don't make the purchase.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
@winb83 @Rickdogg44

why have cash back cards when you have to pay 75 dollars annual fee on the american express? its like getting cash back only to pay for the annual fee

i would cancel the american expresss
I thought the same thing then I did the math.

The preferred card has a $75 annual fee and gives 6% cash back up on the first $6000 you spend at a grocery store annually so $360 total if you hit the cap.
The everyday card has no annual fee but only gives 3% cash back on that $6000 so $180 total if you hit the cap.

if you hit the cap it makes no sense to have the free card because if you subtract the annual fee from the $360 that's still $105 more than the free version gives you. basically the preferred pays its own annual fee. even if you don't hit the cap if you spend more than about $2500 a year at a grocery store its a wash. the everyday will give you $75 back the preferred gives back $150 (subtract the $75 annual fee and you're left with the same $75 the everyday got you).

If you spend more than $48 a week at a grocery store every week for a year the preferred card with the $75 annual fee is your best bet.

Czerka

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yeah, extra manufacturer warranty is another huge benefit. Especially if you shop at Costco and you get electronics automatically with three year warranty

newarkhiphop

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
If you dont participate in credit, you wont BE able to participate in credit.

So if you dont mind having NO credit score when that job you want pulls your credit file, or never want to buy a house or a car, keep on keepin on.

I've had several jobs, including a government one now, my credit has not been pulled, I've owned three cars only needed credit for one other two were paid in cash, I have sufficient credit where I won't have a problem getting a house. Haven't owned a credit card in almost 10 years

Lol look I ain't gonna argue with y'all, some ppl in here sound like credit card commercials and hey if it works for them great, am just here for the younger dudes so they don't fall for the trap, credit cards give most ppl a false sense of having extra income and security

But once again the coli brehs are exceptions to real life :wow: