What's up with Dominicans who think they are white and not black?

Elle Driver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
At the beginning of mean streets
The Caribbean on the whole is a lot more African than any African-American community. Including white countries like Puerto Rico, Cuba etc. You can see the strong African influence in their music, instruments, customs, food etc etc. This is not even debatable. Even if Dominicans deny their African heritage its very much ingrained in their culture.

Have you ever been to the South breh? What are you even talking about? You ever have Southern cuisine (soul food)?

My dad's side is Louisana Creole, much like Haitians, they speak Louisana Creole French, and much like Haitians some of them still practice voodoo (Louisana voodoo). It's a lot of elements within African American culture that is still held from the slave trade that ripped us from our ancestors anyway. You seem to be seriously generalizing. And even if we don't hold on to our culture as much as say Dominicans, it wasn't out of choice unlike them. They purposely avoid calling themselves black, even though they share an island with Haiti, and their African ancestry is the same.

Blackout

just your usual nerdy brotha
Daps
The Caribbean on the whole is a lot more African than any African-American community. Including white countries like Puerto Rico, Cuba etc. You can see the strong African influence in their music, instruments, customs, food etc etc. This is not even debatable. Even if Dominicans deny their African heritage its very much ingrained in their culture.
Yet they downplay their African ancestry so any African heritage ingrained in their culture is deemed void and hypocritical.

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
Yet they downplay their African ancestry so any African heritage ingrained in their culture is deemed void and hypocritical.

The only reason their culture might seem closer to Africa is because it's a third world shyt hole that hasn't been modernized. You'd have to compare them to Black American in the late 1800s to have a fair argument :skip:

GreatestLaker

#FirePelinka
Bushed
Daps
Have you ever been to the South breh? What are you even talking about? You ever have Southern cuisine (soul food)?

My dad's side is Louisana Creole, much like Haitians, they speak Louisana Creole French, and much like Haitians some of them still practice voodoo (Louisana voodoo). It's a lot of elements within African American culture that is still held from the slave trade that ripped us from our ancestors anyway. You seem to be seriously generalizing. And even if we don't hold on to our culture as much as say Dominicans, it wasn't out of choice unlike them. They purposely avoid calling themselves black, even though they share an island with Haiti, and their African ancestry is the same.
Have you ever been to the Caribbean? You get an African and put him in DR and in any African-American community in the south and I'd bet anything he'll feel more at home in DR.

Your African ancestors didn't even call themselves black. So I don't see what that has to do with anything.

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
Have you ever been to the Caribbean? You get an African and put him in DR and in any African-American community in the south and I'd bet anything he'll feel more at home in DR.

Your African ancestors didn't even call themselves black. So I don't see what that has to do with anything.

Put people from 3rd world economies into other 3rd world economies and I bet they'd feel more at home, shocking :ohhh:

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
I agree. It's because black people have no pride and seek acceptance and want alliances, because they don't believe in themselves. Inferiority complex.

I don't even think about Dominicans, tf I give a fukk about them, they remind me of mexicans with curly hair. They aint on my team.

Pretty much.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
:skip: ask people what it was like in late 90's early 200's in middle and high school. Everyone was "spanish" but couldn't speak a lick of spanish. Puerto Ricans ain't "exotic" no more.

You mean when rap videos used to gas up non-black chicks and had the million dollar mansions? :heh:

Jazzy B.

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
:heh: Why the fukk do you lame ass insecure nikkas even care in the first place?

Elle Driver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
At the beginning of mean streets
They didn't.

You're just arguing semantics breh. Black, colored, negro etc. at the end of the day it's different names designated for the same people. Times changed and so did the titles for blacks. White people went from openly calling us ******s, to doing it in the privacy of their own home cause now it's not seen as accepted and taboo. Same goes with blacks being referred to as colored or ******s. I know my dad's side, they definitely referred to themselves as black (although a different title at the time). :ld:

Blackout

just your usual nerdy brotha
Daps
What would happen if, and a big IF, the IMF and the United Nations started giving out reparations to African slave descendants, would Dominicans suddenly accepting their black heritage? :mjpls:
:bryan:

You bet they would.

GreatestLaker

#FirePelinka
Bushed
Daps
You're just arguing semantics breh. Black, colored, negro etc. at the end of the day it's different names designated for the same people. Times changed and so did the titles for blacks. White people went from openly calling us ******s, to doing it in the privacy of their own home cause now it's not seen as accepted and taboo. Same goes with blacks being referred to as colored or ******s. I know my dad's side, they definitely referred to themselves as black (although a different title at the time). :ld:
No I'm talking about back in Africa. They identified by tribal lines.

Dominicans don't have to identify as black or even claim African heritage for their culture to be more African than yours.