Whats the Story Between Mobb Deep and South Central Cartel?

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Did you know who South Central Cartel was in 1992?

Yep, they had a video called 'Ya Getz Clowned'...

I knew about damn near every rapper that had a record out in '92 tho'... that said, Mobb's names had been Havoc and Prodigy from the moment they were in that Source article in 91, and probably before then... seems pretty random they'd create their names from a group that hadn't even come out yet, and know the individual names at that. Unless there's some strange happening in which these two groups met each other prior to '91, I don't see it happenin' like that...

DoomzdayzV

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yep, they had a video called 'Ya Getz Clowned'...

I knew about damn near every rapper that had a record out in '92 tho'... that said, Mobb's names had been Havoc and Prodigy from the moment they were in that Source article in 91, and probably before then... seems pretty random they'd create their names from a group that hadn't even come out yet, and know the individual names at that. Unless there's some strange happening in which these two groups met each other prior to '91, I don't see it happenin' like that...

ehhhh its possible breh......with all the conventions back then....Gavin Seminar, New Music, etc.....alot of industry dudes knew each other years before any of them became known

blackzeus

Superstar
Daps
i dont know the deal but i know Mobb Deep mustve threatened them nikkas something serious to have random nikkas on internet from their area saying even they cant speak on it:whoo::heh::banderas:

They would have had Mobb Deep doing pirouettes in pink leotards on Slauson if it was really like that, that's all I gotta say. :camby:

Yehuda

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
SCC has had those names since 88..SCC was getting play on Kayday LA radio in the late 80s..theyve had music out before they released their debut in 91

^^^^^this song came out in 89

prodigy is a huge storyteller....

pretty much lies his face off on that fgt peter roenbergs show.... wen they were the poetical prophets mobb deep was featured in unsigned hype... dude said that havicc, havoc, and prodigy from scc straight up jacked their names straight from the source lol... that was 1991... scc has been on wax since the late 80's... lol at prodigy tryin to act all tough about it too in the interview. when the two groups finally met up around 1992, scc laughed them out of the room when prodigy of mobb deep tried puffing his chest out and confronting them... they were 17 years old stepping to grown men... idk if mobb deep took scc's names , but their track record of jacking names from the west coast is kinda obvious, amerikkkaz nightmare anyone?? lol...

I like how dudes in here are actin' like SCC was "underground" when:

- they had gold albums before most of the world heard of Mobb Deep
- they were doing records with Treach, Pac, & Spice 1
- they gave the world Boss & L.V.
- they were one of the first rap acts with a label deal...with Def Jam, no less
- they were shouted out on "This Is How We Do It"

if you didn't know who South Central Cartel was in '91-'92, you didn't listen to rap.

I know them SCC nikkas personally. This nikka Prodigy(From mobb Deep) had the name Lord T rapping on Boyz in the Hood with Hi 5 trying to get known while SCC was putting out albums.

Well

Edit:

Last edited:

Yehuda

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Havoc said they got hit with a cease and desist but since they had the name first the NYC Havoc and Prodigy had to change their shyt to Mobb Deep

He speaks on it here at 6:48, said Mobb Deep approached them at a hotel lobby in Atlanta, Gang Starr separated them