What's the Difference Between Black and African Americans? Genealogy and History of Black Americans

Bonk

God’s Son
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
In Da 15th
slave masters/buyers in the USA were probably the best at being aware of the different slave stocks of all the regions in the Americas

:russ: You need to take the L for this one, son.

The American slave buyers were actually the dumbest and they were mostly Scottish whisky drinkers and Welsh people. The Portuguese and Dutch had the best knowledge of slave stocks because they were mostly the one shipping the slaves and they were also mostly the ones in the trenches in Africa. Take the L, son. Eat.:feedme:

So, are you going to let me claim Nas or nah? That's my bruddah and the only person I want. :ahh:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps

The American slave buyers were actually the dumbest and they were mostly Scottish whisky drinkers and Welsh people. The Portuguese and Dutch had the best knowledge of slave stocks because they were mostly the one shipping the slaves and they were also mostly the ones in the trenches in Africa. Take the L, son. Eat.:feedme:

repost

-elaborate....you want me to believe white traders identified and divided certain African tribes based on their skillset picking cotton vs doing house chores in the big house:childplease:

:whoo:

XYgmGWs.jpg

mVvzwGH.jpg

HFIDHlg.jpg

mmP6Yiw.jpg

j2LML09.jpg

MRmN9C6.jpg

z7oT630.jpg

Superstar
Daps
black american = any ethnicity (african, west indian, aa) but the person's race is black and they were born in america.

african american = black, biracial or mixed race descendant of the west africans who were enslaved in america.

his video says the opposite which doesn't make sense. he says he's 1/4 black. calling someone 1/4 black a "black american" does not make sense since the person is technically whatever the 3/4 is. on the other hand, calling him aa does not indicate that his race is anything since multiple races are in africa.

also africans are usually pretty nazi-ish about correcting AAs for using the term "african" to refer to them saying things like "you guys are so ignorant! africa is not a country. it's very diverse! that person is (insert nationality)" so no i'm not referring to someone from/recent descendant of an african country as an "african american"

Last edited:
Daps
Africans, African Americans, and Blacks are three different things. We're not all the same. African Americans are African immigrants who migrated here, and are still migrating here. Unless you legitimately have roots to Africa, and know the tribe you are from, you cannot claim being from any African country of origin. And also, where are the slave ships that supposedly brought us here?

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
So, this guy corroborated what I said the last time when I said today's Nigeria contributed the largest gene pool to African American DNA.

He said: 18% Yoruba and 14% Igbo and that's not inclusive of Nigerian Hausa, Fulani, and Calabar.

18 + 14 = 32%.

Anyway, the coli Aframs told me that I'm lying. A lot of them don't even know that a lot of Yoruba Muslims were taken as slaves as evident in the Imale slave revolt that they led in El Salvador, Brazil. But they claimed Muslim slaves only came from Mali.

@Akan and @IllmaticDelta the both of you need to correct the guy who made this video and educate him about Aframs being mostly Senegambia and Bantu. We good on these sides, we don't claim people.

We already presented you with updated numbers showing you who African Americans are descended from and what groups presented the largest gene pools to African Americans. So some White dude making a video about where he thinks African Americans are from does not change the numbers that slave records and DNA supports.

Secondly, he misconstrued what African American meant. African American is a term that derived from Afro American, which arose during the Civil Rights era. That phrase is specifically associated with Black Americans; and not all Black people from everywhere else. Initially Civil Rights activists like, Malcolm X, pointed out that Black, Colored, Negro and all that other shyt did not indicate a place nor the ethnic origins of Black Americans. Since Black Americans are mixed with so many different African ethnic groups; Malcolm X and others reasoned Afro American was a better descriptor than Black, however Afro American never caught on; but African American eventually did.

Other speculation from him was the number of slaves that were Muslim. He put the number at 20%; while many better researched writers have put the number easily at 33 1/3% or even greater, because it is generally believed that 50% of the slaves brought to the USA were from areas that had heavy Muslim populations. Islam obviously had to exist in large number in the USA among African American slaves, because the remnants of Islam still exist in African American churches until this very day.

Fwiw, the Muslims that came to the USA from Africa were overwhelmingly from Senegambia. While there were Muslim slaves brought in from over groups like the Hausa from Northern Nigeria; it is not even contested that the overwhelming majority of the Muslim slaves that came to the USA were Mandingos, Fulani and Wollof, which stemmed from wars in Futa Tooro and Fouta Djallon, as well as in the modern countries of Mali, Gambia, Guinea-Conakry/Bissau, Senegal, Liberia, Ivory Coast and Sierra Leone. The slave owners themselves knew who they where trying to purchase, because they specifically wanted to purchase people from the Rice Coast who were experts at growing rice and indigo. The slaves themselves said who they were, because they brought the stuff like the Blues; as well as skills at growing rice, indigo and knowledge of horses, cattle and blacksmithing. In fact I think the phrase cowboy may be due to the Fulani slaves that were brought to the USA, because the Fulani were experts at handling cattle.

Other proof of who the slaves were involved the dishes like Gumbo, Jumbalya and Hoppin John which are offshoots of Jollof Rice which is from the Wollof people of Senegal. Those dishes were made everywhere by the slaves, including in North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia all the way to Louisiana.

In conclusion you have already been advised that the vast majority of Nigerians were taken to the Caribbean and South America (specifically Brazil). Quite a few Nigerians came to the USA as slaves from plantations in the Caribbean after the USA banned the importation of slaves directly from Africa into the USA in 1807. That time period ties into the Fulani Jihads into Yorubaland starting in 1804, which resulted in the capture and enslavement a lot of Yoruba people who were transported as slaves to the Caribbean. The King of Dahomey also enslaved a large number of Yoruba people that were shipped to Americas.

There are lots of sources that prove what we have stated. No one is denying that African American have some Nigerian admixture, but by and large African Americans are descended from the people in and around Senegambia and from the people of Central Africa (Kongo, Angolan, Cameroon).

Your claim about the Yoruba Muslims was kind of funny, because the place that they had the greatest impact was not in the USA, but it was in Brazil. There is an excellent book called the Servants of Allah by Sylvaine Diouf where she documents Muslim slaves in the Americas. In a section of the book she documents the Male revolt in Bahia Brazil. The revolt was called the Male (Mali) revolt, but the Muslims in the revolt were mostly Yoruba people from the modern countries of Benin and Nigeria. That is further proof of where most Nigerians were take during the slave trade. I also included another article called "Slavery and Abolition in Brazil."

514BmS7f7XL._SX332_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

http://glc.yale.edu/sites/default/files/files/brazil/papers/reis-paper.pdf
Malê revolt - Wikipedia
The Gullah: Rice, Slavery, and the Sierra Leone-American Connection | The Gilder Lehrman Center for the Study of Slavery, Resistance, and Abolition
http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/15/world/black-cowboys/index.html
Islam in the United States - Wikipedia

Last edited:

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

So, are you going to let me claim Nas or nah? That's my bruddah and the only person I want. :ahh:

:beli:

So you actually think that the White man in the USA, who ended up having the richest country in the World, which was built entirely on slavery; was less informed about slavery then the Portuguese and Dutch? :gucci:

The Gullah: Rice, Slavery, and the Sierra Leone-American Connection | The Gilder Lehrman Center for the Study of Slavery, Resistance, and Abolition

I don't think that you realize how much the Americans and the British invested into the slave trade; nor do you realize that the Americans and British were targeting specific populations.

Last edited:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
so this is why Alex Haley went to Gambia at the end of Roots? :dwillhuh:

yes

Other speculation from him was the number of slaves that were Muslim. He put the number at 20%; while many better researched writers have put the number easily at 33 1/3% or even greater, because it is generally believed that 50% of the slaves brought to the USA were from areas that had heavy Muslim populations. Islam obviously had to exist in large number in the USA among African American slaves, because the remnants of Islam still exist in African American churches until this very day.

“I did a talk a few years ago at Harvard where I played those two things, and the room absolutely exploded in clapping, because [the connection] was obvious,” says Diouf, an author and scholar who is also a researcher at New York’s Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture. “People were saying, ‘Wow. That’s really audible. It’s really there.’” It’s really there thanks to all the Muslim slaves from West Africa who were taken by force to the United States for three centuries, from the 1600’s to the mid-1800’s. Upward of 30 percent of the African slaves in the United States were Muslim, and an untold number of them spoke and wrote Arabic, historians say now. Despite being pressured by slave owners to adopt Christianity and give up their old ways, many of these slaves continued to practice their religion and customs, or otherwise melded traditions from Africa into their new environment in the antebellum South. Forced to do menial, backbreaking work on plantations, for example, they still managed, throughout their days, to voice a belief in God and the revelation of the Qur’an. These slaves’ practices eventually evolved—decades and decades later, parallel with different singing traditions from Africa—into the shouts and hollers that begat blues music, Diouf and other historians believe.

Saudi Aramco World : Muslim Roots, U.S. Blues

Fwiw, the Muslims that came to the USA from Africa were overwhelmingly from Senegambia
. While there were Muslim slaves brought in from over groups like the Hausa from Northern Nigeria; it is not even contested that the overwhelming majority of the Muslim slaves that came to the USA were Mandingos, Fulani and Wollof, which stemmed from wars in Futa Tooro and Fouta Djallon, as well as in the modern countries of Mali, Gambia, Guinea-Conakry/Bissau, Senegal, Liberia, Ivory Coast and Sierra Leone. The slave owners themselves knew who they where trying to purchase, because they specifically wanted to purchase people from the Rice Coast who were experts at growing rice and indigo. The slaves themselves said who they were, because they brought the stuff like the Blues; as well as skills at growing rice, indigo and knowledge of horses, cattle and blacksmithing. In fact I think the phrase cowboy may be due to the Fulani slaves that were brought to the USA, because the Fulani were experts at handling cattle.

yup

Ethnicities in the United States

The largest number of Africans in the lowlands (34 percent) came from Bantu-speaking regions of west-central Africa. Twenty percent were transported from Senegambia, while the Gold Coast and Sierra Leone each accounted for about 15 percent of the total number. Others came from the Bight of Biafra and the Windward Coast.

icon_texts_nb.gif
1x1.gif
Origins of Enslaved Africans Shipped to North America from The Atlantic Slave Trade: A Database on CD-Rom by David Eltis, Stephen Behrendt, David Richardson and Herbert Klein

The enslaved population of Virginia/Maryland was composed mostly of Africans from the Bight of Biafra, some 39 percent. Senegambia accounted for 21 percent of the Africans in this region. Another 17 percent were of Bantu origin, and 10 percent were originally from the Gold Coast.

Therefore, nearly 90 percent of the Africans in these two major regions came from only four zones in Africa. Most came from the west-central area of Angola and Congo where languages - Kikongo, Kimbundu and culture (often referred to as Bantu) were closely related. Many more ended up in the tidewater than in the lowlands, but they comprised nearly a third of all migrants in both sectors.

The Senegambians were much more prominent in North America than in South America and the Caribbean. Senegambia was strongly influenced by Islam, to a greater degree than any other coastal region where enslaved Africans originated. More Muslims were enslaved in North America - except for Brazil - than anywhere else in the New World. Their presence was especially pronounced in Louisiana, to which many Manding people - almost all males - had been transported. This state also had a large presence of non-Muslim Bambara from Mali.

icon_texts_nb.gif
1x1.gif
The Muslim Community , Chapter 3 from Servants of Allah: African Muslims Enslaved in the Americas by Sylviane A. Diouf

The Upper South had a considerable population of people from the Bight of Biafra, as did lowland South Carolina and Georgia. In all probability, a large number of the many Africans whose origins are not known actually came from this area. These Igbo and Ibibio people would develop a distinct subculture. Women made up a relatively high number among those groups. They gave birth to a new generation, ensuring some transmission of their cultural values and beliefs.

Men and women from Sierra Leone and the adjacent Windward Coast were heavily concentrated in the low country, and most were involved in cultivating rice.

Noticeably absent from North America's African population were substantial numbers of people from the Slave Coast ( Togo, Benin, and western Nigeria). Contrary to Brazil and Cuba, the United States received very few Yoruba.

AAME : image

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
:beli:

So you actually think that the White man in the USA, who ended up having the richest country in the World, which was built entirely on slavery; was less informed about slavery then the Portuguese and Dutch? :gucci:

I don't think that you realize how much the Americans and the British invested into the slave trade; nor do you realize that the Americans and British were targeting specific populations.

exactly

Enzo

The Great
Daps
Reppin
DMV
black american = any ethnicity (african, west indian, aa) but the person's race is black and they were born in america.

african american = black, biracial or mixed race descendant of the west africans who were enslaved in america.

his video says the opposite which doesn't make sense. he says he's 1/4 black. calling someone 1/4 black a "black american" does not make sense since the person is technically whatever the 3/4 is. on the other hand, calling him aa does not indicate that his race is anything since multiple races are in africa.

also africans are usually pretty nazi-ish about correcting AAs for using the term "african" to refer to them saying things like "you guys are so ignorant! africa is not a country. it's very diverse! that person is (insert nationality)" so no i'm not referring to someone from/recent descendant of an african country as an "african american"

I think 2 other people also said he got this wrong but I'm not sure I agree with you guys.

Edit: Assumption being that we are referring to melanoid people indigenous to Sub Saharan Africa

To me, it makes more sense that any of the people who came from africa and are in america would be considered Afro/African American. Similarly, people who come from Africa and are in Cuba are called Afro-Cubans, even those who recently migrated to Cuba. While some people may be able to say they are Angolan-Cuban, I doubt anyone is actually using that to describe themselves as opposed to saying, I'm afro-cuban with roots in Angola or Nigeria or whatever. In that same vein, African-American is a catch all for Americans who have migrated from Africa at some point in their or their ancestor's history.

Meanwhile Black American is used to describe the west africans who were enslaved in America. This term is especially used in international context. In Africa, they aren't calling the descendants of the slave trade African Americans, they call them Black Americans and they are referring to a very specific group of people.

Edit 2: Some commentary and thinkpieces reiterating this

Why I’d Rather Be Called a Black American Than an African-American

Why I'm Black, Not African American | Manhattan Institute

'An African American', or 'a black'?

Black American or African-American?

Last edited:

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I think 2 other people also said he got this wrong but I'm not sure I agree with you guys.

Edit: Assumption being that we are referring to melanoid people indigenous to Sub Saharan Africa

To me, it makes more sense that any of the people who came from africa and are in america would be considered Afro/African American. Similarly, people who come from Africa and are in Cuba are called Afro-Cubans, even those who recently migrated to Cuba. While some people may be able to say they are Angolan-Cuban, I doubt anyone is actually using that to describe themselves as opposed to saying, I'm afro-cuban with roots in Angola or Nigeria or whatever. In that same vein, African-American is a catch all for Americans who have migrated from Africa at some point in their or their ancestor's history.

Meanwhile Black American is used to describe the west africans who were enslaved in America. This term is especially used in international context. In Africa, they aren't calling the descendants of the slave trade African Americans, they call them Black Americans and they are referring to a very specific group of people.

Edit 2: Some commentary and thinkpieces reiterating this

Why I’d Rather Be Called a Black American Than an African-American

Why I'm Black, Not African American | Manhattan Institute

'An African American', or 'a black'?

Black American or African-American?

I think that you all are overthinking the term African American. African American is derived from Afro American. Afro American was a term coined by Civil Rights leaders in the USA during the Civil Rights movement. It was to replace terms like colored, negro and black. The term is only meant for descendants of slaves in the USA.

African American does not apply African immigrants, because they identify with their countries. African Caribbean people do sometime refer to themselves as African American, which is their right; but the term initially was for Black people descended from the slaves in the USA. African American is a term of empowerment. It is a descriptor that is more accurate than colored, negro or black which are terms that white people had previously applied to the slaves and their descendants.

Bennett, What's In a Name? Negro vs. Afro-American vs. Black (1967)

Last edited:

Enzo

The Great
Daps
Reppin
DMV
I think that you all are overthinking the term African American. African American is derived from Afro American. Afro American was a term coined by Civil Rights leaders in the USA during the Civil Rights movement. It was to replace terms like colored, negro and black. The term is only meant for descendants of slaves in the USA.

African American does not apply African immigrants, because they identify with their countries. African Caribbean people do sometime refer to themselves as African American, which is their right; but the term initially was for Black people descended from the slaves in the USA.

Bennett, What's In a Name? Negro vs. Afro-American vs. Black (1967)

That's not true.

African American was used in the 1700's prior to all of that. And Afro American was around way before Civil Rights as well.

Use of ‘African-American’ Dates to Nation’s Early Days

African American is used to define race on the census and in that sense it would definitely apply to African immigrants. In the broader social sense of the word, and in an international context, black American would not define a person who migrated from Africa who is in America as much as it would descendants of slaves.