What's the consensus on the Eliptical machine?

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
Are you running Tuesday?

Honestly if you have been training in general you should be fine. I didn't have an issue the three times I've done it and I'm far from a "runner". Just don't empty the tank because there are two more hills after that before the course goes flat for the final portion.
You nikkas that :flabbynsick: that you can't go out and run?

@The ADD tell me about Cardiac Hill since you ran Peachtree last year. I haven't even tried running the course to get familiar with it

Judas

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Its great, i have osteoarthiritis in my right knee so i shouldnt run. i can do long runs on the eliptical as well as HIIT. the intensity switches instanstly so you dont have to jump to the side like you would on a treadmill. i find treadmills boring as fuxck

AtomicUse

Superstar
Daps
:wtf: People bagging on the elliptical? :mindblown: I go hard on the elliptical for an hour and sweat out everything and my joints still feel fresh afterwards. :blessed: 'scustya at all the jogging gym rats with the :flabbynsick: knees from pounding concrete and ignoring the bike and elliptical. I don't get on the treadmill, or hit the track, I go for walks with my wife/our dogs but thats it. It's a great way to keep your heart rate up and burn fat, I love it.

Kilgore Trout

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Alabama
better than a stationary bike but not as good as running.

Compare results using elliptical an hour a day vs running an hour a day. Running will give you 5x the results.

Mortal1

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Bay Area
I use it a lot whenever I workout I usually increase/decrease the resistance after every four minutes. Also good to increase the stride settings on there too.

Last edited:

Road20

All Star
Daps
Reppin
the Yay 510
shyt I do the weight loss workout option put on the interval between 11 and 15 on 15 resistance. its 28 minutes long and I do a full out sprint every 3:30 the interval is 4 minutes a piece. My heart rate get up over 200 at a certain point and I breathe hard as fukk after. I do this after a 60 or 90 minute compound lift session. Its done very well for me.

Daps
The elliptical machine is great. It's an essential part of my cardio routine.

My Cardio routine:
Treadmill - Random settings/inclines brisk walking speed for 10-15 mins
Elliptical/Crosstrainer - random settings, between level 15 - 20 for 10-15 mins
Heavy Bag for 10-20 mins
Exercise Recumbent bike machine - Random settings for 10-15 mins
Rowing Machine for 5-10 mins

Frida Giezman

Banned
Daps
I have bad knees too

the elliptical still puts stress on my knees but not as bad as running on concrete or track

when I run on the elliptical my knees don’t get swollen but they still get creeky and crack

and I still have to use my knee band on my left knee even on the elliptical

Been doing my thing though

tryna drop 20 lbs by summer

areohbee824

Superstar
Daps
This is my go to indoor cardio work out. Lost a lot of weight with diet of course doing this

Frida Giezman

Banned
Daps
I love it! I used to do a modified version of this. I prefer to jog outside now that my knee can handle it but the elliptical can be extremely useful

what do you change?

I feel like those 10 and 20 second breaks aren’t enough to drop your heart rate back down

and how much should you drop your heart rate during HIIT?

say if my heart rate goes up to 190s during sprinting

how much should I let my heart rate drop before sprinting again?

I try to let it go back down to the high 160s but it takes more than 20 seconds to drop my bpms that much

ball15life

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The unknown
what do you change?

I feel like those 10 and 20 second breaks aren’t enough to drop your heart rate back down

and how much should you drop your heart rate during HIIT?

say if my heart rate goes up to 190s during sprinting

how much should I let my heart rate drop before sprinting again?

I try to let it go back down to the high 160s but it takes more than 20 seconds to drop my bpms that much

It's been a while now that my knee is fully healthy, but from what I remember I ended up doing:

2 min high revs low intensity
2 min reverse low revs high intensity
2 min reverse high revs low intensity
2 min low revs high intensity

or something close to that...and then do it for either 15/20/25/30 mins depending on the day