Whats the appeal of the soulsbourne genre?

Detroit Wave

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The D
Playing thru DS3 and this shyt is one of the slowest, jankiest games ive ever played. :mjlol: just like increasing enemy health isnt real difficulty, lazy design isnt either.

Detroit Wave

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The D
Where exactly is the design in DS3 “lazy”? Explain specifically.
idk if lazy is the right word but im running thru a town and a fat hoe starts throwing magic at me from a small bridge between two buildings, shield doesnt block shyt, i get the bleed meter but the fat npc is inaccesble because aint no stairs :dead: so how they fat ass get up there?

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
3d-metroidvnia genius tier interconnected level design, hard hitting tactical well-timed combat that rewards patience, high levels of exploration that once again are perfectly balanced between risk and reward, high levels of customization and playstyles,not hand holdy Iike every other game, un-matched mood, lore, enemy design, enemy variety, the best boss battles in all of gaming, shooooortcuts, voice acting…..rare and messy sidequest design, seeeeeeecrets. Etc.

Draje

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
idk if lazy is the right word but im running thru a town and a fat hoe starts throwing magic at me from a small bridge between two buildings, shield doesnt block shyt, i get the bleed meter but the fat npc is inaccesble because aint no stairs :dead: so how they fat ass get up there?

Yeah, that’s not lazy design. Its very purposeful.

Figure it out.

breakfuss

#SHAMBLES
Supporter
Daps
You picked the wrong debate/battle to wage as I find Soulbourne folks ain't having any slander. I find the combat janky and cumbersome as well though. I think it's supposed to be a callback to 90s design sensibilities and a "true challenge" :unimpressed:. The only one I somehow managed to beat is Bloodborne. I got bodied in like the first 15 minutes of DS3 and never looked back.

Detroit Wave

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The D
3d-metroidvnia genius tier interconnected level design, hard hitting tactical well-timed combat that rewards patience, high levels of exploration that once again are perfectly balanced between risk and reward, high levels of customization and playstyles,not hand holdy Iike every other game, un-matched mood, lore, enemy design, enemy variety, the best boss battles in all of gaming, shooooortcuts, voice acting…..rare and messy sidequest design, seeeeeeecrets. Etc.
just killed a big ass tree and have yet to experience any of the shyt you talkin bout. the tactical well time combat only applies to players cuz enemy mobs spam hella attacks and clearly have no stamina meter.
Yeah, that’s not lazy design. Its very purposeful.

Figure it out.
:dead: so a level designer making two buildings with no doors or stairs but an npc is on the second floor isnt lazy?:dead:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
just killed a big ass tree and have yet to experience any of the shyt you talkin bout. the tactical well time combat only applies to players cuz enemy mobs spam hella attacks and clearly have no stamina meter.

Well you just beat an optional boss at the beginning of the game, probably one of the easiest as well

Detroit Wave

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The D
You picked the wrong debate/battle to wage as I find Soulbourne folks ain't have any slander. I find the combat janky and cumbersome as well though. I think it's supposed to be a callback to 90s design sensibilities and a "true challenge" :unimpressed:. The only one I somehow managed to beat is Bloodborne. I got bodied in the like first 15 minutes of DS3 and never looked back.
and i got hundreds of hours in monster hunter so it not like im completely new to animation based combat but sheesh this shyt is janky af
its for ppl who like a challenge with NES style difficultly in a modern era
nah nikka nes games were difficult mainly due to hardware limitations and bringing that arcade mindset to home consoles to pad the length of the game.

Detroit Wave

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The D
Nah you’re just trash at the game. DS3 isn’t slow at all. Take that heavy armor off and git gud :umad:
Ain’t slow relative to what exactly? :patrice: it’s a slog of a game when compared to DMC, MonHun, anything by Platinum, ninja Gaiden etc

everything I can find online says that souls fans consider ds 3 to be fast compared to ds1&2 but outside of that, it’s slow when compared to non souls games. Also armor type doesn’t affect weapon speed which is easily the jankiest part of the game. Consecutive hits with a 1h sword in ds3 is slower than 2h weapons in most good games