What's The Appeal Of Owning Physical Copies Of Games In 2020?

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
It’s really only worthwhile on switch where the games hold their resale value MUCH more for much longer while actually saving storage space on the console

You can even get digital downloads/codes on sale almost as easy as physical copies so that gap is getting smaller and smaller as well

Plus if your disk drive is messed up, you still ain’t playing/installing shyt no matter how many copies of the game you own:lolbron:

The caveat of Switch cartridges tho is that they're so fukking small that they can be easily lost.

Everything else is on point tho.

MajesticLion

Veteran
Daps
money paid = even if I want to play it 30 years later with following generations, I will

I'm not leasing games.

4-Rin

Superstar
Daps
You can sell the physical copies when you're done with the game and can also play them if they get taken off the online store like Scott Pilgrim or the Ninja Turtles remake

Superkick Party

Atlus / Ryū ga Gotoku
Daps
Reppin
Hub City
I collect special editions and like seeing the collection of various games on my shelf :yeshrug:

I also like having the option of being able to re-sell/trading them in one day if I ever need to.

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
to me buying physical lost all it's appeal once publishers stopped packaging in instruction booklets with every game :ld:

after that I just looked at it as an antiquated disc in a plastic box taking up space :yeshrug:

something about those instruction booklets made it feel more premium & special...:wow:
Can buy used games for cheap... Can sell old games for 15-20 still... Can rent games before I waste my money... Still can buy digital if need be....

They don't even try and make digital a comparison buy besides not having to get up... The packing/shipment/human hours alone should save them $5-10 a game

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
As long as you have the physical copy, you have access to the game. If the developer or publisher decides to pull the digital distribution, if you don't have it downloaded and never deleted, you're assed out. For the one and done people this may not be an issue, but for people who revisit games, that's a sticking point.
It’s easier to maintain a digital library than it is a physical one.

This is like complaining you can’t just walk into GameStop and get a replacement copy if you throw your game away. It’s actually a benefit to buying digital that you can re-download the game indefinitely.