What's The Appeal Of Owning Physical Copies Of Games In 2020?

bogey_j

new love, same neurosis..
Daps
to me buying physical lost all it's appeal once publishers stopped packaging in instruction booklets with every game :ld:

after that I just looked at it as an antiquated disc in a plastic box taking up space :yeshrug:

something about those instruction booklets made it feel more premium & special...:wow:

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
It’s cheaper on release day and when they get clearanced out.

Neither of those are a constant truth. Very case by case basis, as sales happen often on both sides and randomly in between. Some of my last digital purchases were about 10-15 bucks less than I could've gotten them physically in stores. Now buying 2nd hand is a different story for sure.

Kaydigi

Akatsuki
Supporter
Daps
Neither of those are a constant truth. Very case by case basis, as sales happen often on both sides and randomly in between. Some of my last digital purchases were about 10-15 bucks less than I could've gotten them physically in stores. Now buying 2nd hand is a different story for sure.

I still have GCU from Best Buy for another year, and Walmart and Amazon have been doing the $49 pre order pricing on last gen titles for a while now.

I buy whatever is cheaper though. Finally picked up Granblue Fantsy Versus for 19.99 disc from Best Buy, it rarely goes on sale on psn.

I did buy Fighterz digitally for $10.49 even though I have the disc version which was bought at launch.

So it’s all good either way, I just won’t new releases digitally at MSRP.

levitate

I love you, you know.
Daps
Reppin
The Multiverse
I’m really torn on this subject.

If we’re being honest there are pros and cons to each method.

Ultimately I think I’ll go with buying physical game discs because:
  1. It gives me an option for trading games in
  2. These game files are getting fukking huge, I don’t like downloading big ass 100+ GB files
  3. There is a greater sense of ownership.
  4. I only play maybe 4 blockbuster games a year...and I play until I beat them. Thus “getting up to switch the game” is not a big deal for me

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
I still have GCU from Best Buy for another year, and Walmart and Amazon have been doing the $49 pre order pricing on last gen titles for a while now.

I buy whatever is cheaper though. Finally picked up Granblue Fantsy Versus for 19.99 disc from Best Buy, it rarely goes on sale on psn.

I did buy Fighterz digitally for $10.49 even though I have the disc version which was bought at launch.

So it’s all good either way, I just won’t new releases digitally at MSRP.

You do? What'd you buy a lot of years upfront or something? Cuz Best Buy cancelled GCU like years ago from what I've been told.

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
I’m really torn on this subject.

If we’re being honest there are pros and cons to each method.

Ultimately I think I’ll go with buying physical game discs because:
  1. It gives me an option for trading games in
  2. These game files are getting fukking huge, I don’t like downloading big ass 100+ GB files
  3. There is a greater sense of ownership.
  4. I only play maybe 4 blockbuster games a year...and I play until I beat them. Thus “getting up to switch the game” is not a big deal for me

2. While you're not downloading the game files online when you own the disc, you still are utilizing exact same amount of storage space off the disc onto your hdd/ssd tho.

Last edited:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Even though I bought 3 digital games as my first games for the PS5, I still prefer physical just because I like knowing that I can do something with the game later on. Granted, I may not really buy that much physical PS5 games simply because I will be going half on games with my cousin since he's getting a PS5 so we'll be sharing games.

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
As long as you have the physical copy, you have access to the game. If the developer or publisher decides to pull the digital distribution, if you don't have it downloaded and never deleted, you're assed out. For the one and done people this may not be an issue, but for people who revisit games, that's a sticking point.