What's an ''industry plant''?

zerozero

Superstar
Daps
I actually didn't know until someone explained it on sohh.. an industry plant is an already signed/backed artist who fronts like they're on an indie grind

this helps with getting blog / media attention and people who start listening to the artist feel like it's an organic movement

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
it's what you call a poster when you don't agree with their opinion

Habit

Banned
Daps
I actually didn't know until someone explained it on sohh.. an industry plant is an already signed/backed artist who fronts like they're on an indie grind

this helps with getting blog / media attention and people who start listening to the artist feel like it's an organic movement

Same thing they been saying about Odd Future. Gotta like how Odd Future is capitalizing by making millions touring.

Capitol

Did this work
Daps
None of this industry plant shyt is relevant to me. If I like the music I like the music, what am I supposed to stop fukking with them because I find out that they are signed to a label or something? Don't care about no damn movement

zerozero

Superstar
Daps
Don't care about no damn movement

a lot of these people do though.. I wasn't around reading rap boards when Drake came up but with Odd Future, Wiz Khalifa's Kush & OJ, Lil B, Kreashawn etc you have to notice that their ascendance is based on trying to get people into a 'movement' mindset

even Nicki's "barbies" and Curren$y's Jet Life etc

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
None of this industry plant shyt is relevant to me. If I like the music I like the music, what am I supposed to stop fukking with them because I find out that they are signed to a label or something? Don't care about no damn movement

it shouldn't matter. but this is a website where people rate albums using soundscan numbers...

concise

Veteran
Daps

It's true that if good music results, there's no problem.

The bad part is when equally talented or more talented people get passed up or less help from their labels/teams because it's all going to someone else who is highly invested in for other reasons.

Capitol

Did this work
Daps
a lot of these people do though.. I wasn't around reading rap boards when Drake came up but with Odd Future, Wiz Khalifa's Kush & OJ, Lil B, Kreashawn etc you have to notice that their ascendance is based on trying to get people into a 'movement' mindset

The entire premise behind that is completely retarded though. There is literally no way you can capitalize on this hipster audience that only cares about the latest new shiny toy. Yea, you are going to get all that love on the blogs and on the internet, but as soon as you reach that point where you are about to break out and become popular everyone switches sides and stops fukking with you. That audience is then replaced by what they were originally attempting to market to anyway. It's not a coincidence that you see thousands upon thousands of people downloading the mixtapes, hyping up the artist, and when it comes time to release the CD they flop. They are trying to capitalize on a market that doesn't exist. The genuine fans don't care about none of the extra schemes they try to cook up and they are going to be their regardless of all the shenanigans if the music is good.