What was your first nikka wake up call like?

blackzeus

Superstar
Daps
I always had to go through some racial sh*t growing up as I spent my mid to late teens in the suburbs in the Chi. But the real "wake up" call was during my college years when Eli Lilly invited to be an interviewer for their job fair during my winter break. Eli Lilly is a HUGE pharmaceutical company for those of you who don't know, the group running the job fair was full of :smugfavre: types. As soon as I walked up to the group, one dude started talkin' about how he picked up hoes in the South Side and sh*t, and all the other CACs started laughing and sneering at me. I was like :huhldup:, they don't know me, obviously I'm qualified to be here (actually overqualified, as I was an engineering major) as their boss hired me, I'm dressed appropriately, my English is top notch, but 0 f*cks given. They see me and immediately think of the South Side pimp stroll :snoop: That was the "wake up" moment for me.

Hybrinetics

Banned
Daps
"You're not like the other black people. Those are ******s" :what:
I know this too well growing up in majority white area and schools

Never did I get called names to my face but it was always slick shyt with big groups of white kids

mr.africa

Veteran
Daps
Now that I think about it, I remember in grade school we had a literacy test that measured your reading level. I measured at a 12th grade reading level ( started reading at a very young age) and my German teacher swore up and down that I somehow managed to cheat.... Needless to say, I retook the test and once again tested the same, she was absolutely speechless... The nerve...

Damn, this thread bringing up repressed memories and ish....
THIS

Warren Moon

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
i was at a white party. These tow white guys started fighting, im standing in the circle watching. All of a sudden cops come up and tackle me to the ground, and hold the white guys up. They tell me to stop resisting and banged my head against the concrete. Everyone at the party was telling them i was not involved but with my head bleeding they had to save face. Paddy waggon come ups me and the two white guys are sent to jail. They got disorderly conduct and I got resisting arrest.
Parents were livid, mom wanted to sue but my dad said it was my fault. He had been warning me for years about going to white parties and being around them. :ufdup:

Hard lesson learned:to:

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps
i was at a white party. These tow white guys started fighting, im standing in the circle watching. All of a sudden cops come up and tackle me to the ground, and hold the white guys up. They tell me to stop resisting and banged my head against the concrete. Everyone at the party was telling them i was not involved but with my head bleeding they had to save face. Paddy waggon come ups me and the two white guys are sent to jail. They got disorderly conduct and I got resisting arrest.
Parents were livid, mom wanted to sue but my dad said it was my fault. He had been warning me for years about going to white parties and being around them. :ufdup:

Damn you should of sued

b_priest9mm

A work in progress...
Daps
I got a lot of the typical comments that have been mentioned in this thread, but for me, no one singular event stands out. I grew up and eventually realized the true nature of the system, the society and how they truly view me as a black man. After the shock wore off, I've learned to view them all with a degree of ambivalence and keep my relationships with them strictly professional.

Daps

Your father was right on the money. You being the typical Black man that feels you're missing out if you can't be around white folks despite warnings from your dad and had to learn the hard way. If I have sons, I am going to do this tough love approach too.

Joe Budden

Banned
Daps

that's fukked up :scust:

Warren Moon

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Your father was right on the money. You being the typical Black man that feels you're missing out if you can't be around white folks despite warnings from your dad and had to learn the hard way. If I have sons, I am going to do this tough love approach too.

Yeah looking back it was the best thing that happened to me in a weird way. Just reinforces no matter who you are as a black man here in america with one decision by a white cop they can ruin your life and your future generations lives. Shows you who still has the real power

Daps
Yeah looking back it was the best thing that happened to me in a weird way. Just reinforces no matter who you are as a black man here in america with one decision by a white cop they can ruin your life and your future generations lives. Shows you who still has the real power

Were they ever able to explain to you why they bumrushed you in the first place? I know it was because they saw your black skin and assumed you were part of the trouble but what exactly did they say to justify what happened?

Warren Moon

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Were they ever able to explain to you why they bumrushed you in the first place? I know it was because they saw your black skin and assumed you were part of the trouble but what exactly did they say to justify what happened?

Thats exactly why because my black skin. They bumrushed from behind me and took me down. I resisted obviously bc I didnt know who it was obviously. They sat me down for like 15 mins with my head bleeding. Literally like 20 ppl went up to them saying I was not involved, I personally didnt know either dude that was fighting. They probably would of let me go if I wasnt injured but they injured me so they had to arrest me to justify it. Basically they heard about a fight saw a black guy and took me down :yeshrug:. On the police report it said I refused to leave a hostile environment in a timely manner. I was going to file police brutality charges but my dad said there was no point. 6 cops word vs 1 black kid.

Vilify

Superstar
Daps
I was 16 yrs old working at a grocery store..during my lunch break one day I sat outside on the bench eating fried chicken from the deli :russ:. When this older white guy walked by and hocked a loogie at me. When I say by me, I mean Literally like 2 feet away from my feet. I looked up as he walked by.. i didn't immediately think it was racist. I was offended but figured he was just a disgusting a$$hole.. as i sat there stunned some random white lady who witnessed the whole thing came up and said to me 'he doesn't speak for all of us'. That's when it clicked:damn: and truth be told it made me feel more embarrassed than angry. It wasn't until years later it made me angry.

Btw this happened in Atlanta Buckhead specifically around 2000.

KingFreeman

Barely-Known Member
Daps
Reppin
the 254
5th grade when I was in South Carolina. Me, another black kid, and a Laosian kid (model minority of that city), got in trouble for playing around during class. Teacher punished me and bud, but let the Laosian kid go with some "yall are the bad ones". Same teacher would single me out, took a book I was reading in class and never gave it back, and stayed with the lowkey racial comments.

I told my moms what was happening, and she got the principal and counselor to investigate, but as far as I know, did nothing. Fukk I hated South Carolina so much:francis: