What was happening in the 60s and 70s that was causing such a high murder rate?

wtfyomom

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
if its really about lead, there was recently a story on 70 percent of chicagos water having lead in it. but yeah the 70s not only murder but there were also way more terror attacks too. but the news wants to act like shyt is so crazy now when it was worse back then

wtfyomom

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
if its really about lead, there was recently a story on 70 percent of chicagos water having lead in it. but yeah the 70s not only murder but there were also way more terror attacks too. but the news wants to act like shyt is so crazy now when it was worse back then

Noriega

Simps R Us
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Southside,Chicago
nikkas was saying it was the lead in everything from the pipes to the paint and the water

I watched some documentary and it said when the city stopped using lead everywhere then city's saw a dramatic decrease in crime in the coming years
Nah that lead paint shyt is real fam

Grandma got a settlement with the Chicago Housing Authority back in the 90s cuz one of my uncles is a little off. A doc traced it back to lead paint in government housing

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn keeps on taking it.
besides a ton of different and complex sociaital factors, a pretty simple thing that can be easily forgotten because of how we live today is...people were always outside, or at least outside of the house, in those days. the entire lifestyle and peoples temperaments in general were just different

I even remember that as a kid people were always outside

Tommy Sheppard

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The 60s and 70s were crazy. Junkies were getting thrown off buildings, dealers were kidnapping peoples kids who owed them money.

This is a Washingtonpost article that was written in 1980, but the same rhetoric people used to describe the kids to day was the same back then.

The Meanest Street in Washington

Around Condon Terrace Circle in Far Southeast Washington, there have been these casualties over the last year:

John A. Johnson, 25, was shot in the shoulder.

Michael Bottoms, 23, was shot in the face and killed.

Leondas Chambliss, 16, was shot in the back and paralyzed.

Milton Dobbss, 18, was shot in the knee-caps.

Barbara Young, 20, was shot in the head and killed.

"We hear gunshots all times of day and night out here," said one woman, a retired domestic in late middle age who lives in one of the three-story walk-ups around Condon Terrace Circle. "People with guns run and hide between our homes like it's a Western movie or something."

Condon Terrace Circle is probably the most dangerous street in town, District police say. There have been hundreds of shootings, knifings, rapes and a bizarre series of "kneecappings" there in recent years.

Police say the violence is associated with the sale of mariguana within the, circle, which has become something of a drive-in for drugs since the mid-1670's. Salesmen in their late teens to mid-20's stake out their turf around the circle. In their jockeying for the better positions, there are often shootings.

The youths who work the circle battle to keep official authority out. All eight members of a special tactical squad sent in to clean up Condon Circle last year were injured in chases and fights with the teen-age drug peddlers.
i see condon terrace has been scary af for decades, that hood is still :whoa: status.

Dafunkdoc_Unlimited

Theological Noncognitivist Since Birth
Daps
Reppin
The Wrong Side of the Tracks
Black people got Civil Rights in the late 60's.

Hatred between different ethnic groups was enormous.

Caused the city I come from to erupt in a 'Race Riot' that devastated it in 1970 and left it in a shambles for 40+ years......

The Asbury Park July 1970 Riots - The Devil's Tale

In the end, over 180 people, including 15 state troopers were injured, and the shopping district of the west side neighborhood of Asbury Park was destroyed. Police made 167 arrests. Many West side residents were displaced from their homes, and the neighborhood was still in disarray five years after the riots. There was an estimated $4,000,000 in damage, and an additional $1,600,000 spent on cleanup costs.

The riots brought national attention to Asbury Park, New Jersey. However, Asbury Park was just one of many cities across the United States that experienced riots within the late 60s- early 70s period. The same issues: lack of job opportunities and unfit housing were prevalent for many African Americans. The riots forced America to look at the inequalities, acknowledge them and work towards making things better.

I lost 3 uncles and my family was forced to move to the projects due to losing our home in the fires because 'White' firefighters wouldn't come into the Black neighborhoods.

I HATE 'White' people.

:martin:

Daps
Reppin
Midwest/East Coast/Tx (Now in Canada)
Nice try on moving the goal posts. This isn't a discussion on gun types or laws. Just prevalence. People in the 60's/70's had access to their dad's 38 special. Today they have their own pistols and can get an assault rifle if they have the money. So once again, NO, guns were not as readily available back then.
Yes they were, and you're a fool using that term "assault rifle" in application to now and then, when it was EASIER to acquire an actual select-fire assault rifle.
For under$150
A fully automatic war rifle in the 70s was more readily available then than now.
Who filled your head with all this nonsense lil breh?
You know how hard that is to do now?
6 months of Fed checks, $20,000 and mountains of paperwork...to buy something that was the price of J's and available for in-store purchase.
"More readily available now"

How, nikka? What laws changed? How about you look up those old deaths and see how many SEMI AUTOMATIC HANDGUNS AKA A REGULAR ASS PISTOL WITH MAG...were used.
:sas2:
shyt is like educating a damn woman on guns, and a WOMAN taught me. Y'a young nikkas are lost and mislead.
"Da big bad carbine with attachmentz iz da audomaddic" :snoop:

Dafunkdoc_Unlimited

Theological Noncognitivist Since Birth
Daps
Reppin
The Wrong Side of the Tracks
Indiglow Meta (R$G) said:
I remember old heads saying a lot of insane asylums let people out into the street back then, too.
No money to stay open.

Remember the movie "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest'? That movie was the impetus behind closing mental institutions. It wasn't that there was no money to stay open. They had money.

Liberals decided that it was 'wrong' to keep mentally disturbed individuals out of society. Problem was, where to place those individuals.

Guess where the majority of them ended up?

:stopitslime: