What RUINED Sega? - The Fall of an Empire

Kingshango

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
Nintendo and Sega would maximize the fukk out of it too.

The OST for a Mario/Sonic crossover would be :wow:

I dont even know how you would even do a proper Mario x Sonic crossover.

But we're in a world where Mario + Rabbids exists so who knows.:ehh:

TransJenner

Banned
Daps
Sega probably has PTSD of console's. I see Sega as a conservative and a play it safe company now heck they ain't even doing anything new with arcade games or some type of new type machine. The only way I could see Sega releasing a console is if they get bought out and the new chairmen decide to release a new console.
You think they could just replace the chairman and release a console :mjlol:

You know how much money it costs to fund research alone for a console :russ:
That sonic-Genesis-arcade money is LONG gone

C. Dante

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I dont even know how you would even do a proper Mario x Sonic crossover.

But we're in a world where Mario + Rabbids exists so who knows.:ehh:

Huge open world game like Sonic heroes , use Sonic for manuvering and Mario for hops and power, add a cool leveling up system, the use of both their power ups, and moments with both their allies (fighting alongside luigi & knuckles for example) and you got a classic

Daps
Went through all of them damn systems.

Bought a Saturn in 6th grade 1997
Quickly realized it wasn't popping but played the shyt outta Madden 97
Got the original Playstation...Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy, Tekken....yeah it was good
Kept the Playstation but added the Dreamcast in 8th grade. NFL 2k, Crazy Taxi, Sonic and Soul Calibur (Ivy had them tig ol bitties)
Get rid of Dreamcast and get PS2 in 2001/02, just in time for GTA III

Actually went to a CGX store (closed down in my area) and bought a Dreamcast for like $80 a couple of years ago.....with 2 controllers, VMU and a bunch of games (Ready to Rumble, NFL 2k1, Soul Calibur, Sonic, Crazy Taxi etc).

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Sega should get Hamster to release some of there arcade titles on console and PC. Either that or do it themselves. Sega got a MASSIVE catalog that many gamers either forgot or never knew about.
Sega of Japan needs to get their act right before it's too late

Walgreens

Be Well.
Supporter
Daps
Console Wars by Blake Harris is a book that offers a good look into just how mismanaged Sega was during their console years. Sega of America made some bad calls on their own, but it was Sega of Japan that was really running things and fukking everything up.

No clue what's going on now (I'll watch the video later when I have time), but it's pretty pitiful Sega isn't doing shyt with all of their classic franchises outside of Sonic.

Daps
The 32x fiasco. Its laughable to think that SOJ needed a response to the Jaguar and 3DO.

Choosing hardware for the Saturn that made it a 2D powerhouse but weak with 3D rendering. Which is crazy considering Virtua Fighter started the 3D craze. Also turned down an opportunity to go halves on the playstation with Sony. And turned down the SGI specs which ended up becoming the Nintendo 64. SOJ was stubborn and stuck with the hardware design from their internal team.

Releasing the Saturn early for 400 bucks with a small launch lineup and sticking it to retailers like Kaybee and Walmart who ended up taking all of their sh*t off the shelves.

Releasing the Dreamcast without a DVD drive. Half the people who copped PS2, got it because it was the cheapest DVD player on the market. I think people would've paid 299 for a Dreamcast with DVD playback.

Again using the GD-ROM drive made it easy to bootleg which killed their software sales.

I think they should've mined some more of their popular Genesis IP's too. Never got proper sequels for Streets of Rage, Eternal Champions, Comix Zone, Gunstar Heroes, Alex Kidd, Golden Axe etc...

Achille

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
S.M.B 4 EVER
:to: "that's my Sega"

I've been a Sega head since the Sega Master System, always loved their arcade games as well. Sega was super innovative though. I had the Genesis, Saturn and the Dreamcast. Me being a Sega head, I bought the systems for Sega games, so me personally didn't care about third party support. Most Sega games would make the 3rd Parties games look bad. I can see why 3rd Parties would go with the PS, with Sony having that long money and they wouldn't kill off their old systems off like Sega did. Sony just was better business savvy all the around. That being said f%ck Sony and PS killing my Sega.
:pacspit:

Tommy Fits

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
QUEENS NY
Like everyone else said, the Sega Cd the 32x flops, the horrible rollout of the Saturn were the beginning of the end. But the Dreamcast had 2 fatal flaws, no DVD and how easy it was to bootleg games. Its a shame because Dreamcast was a great system

TheLostOnes

Laker for life
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philadelphia
Honestly...they just peaked too early and a prime example of that was the Dreamcast. shyt was already doing online while other consoles at that time weren't until mid-ish of their time. I just love the dreamcast why did it peak so early? :mjcry:

• Dap
Reactions: IVS

Achille

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
S.M.B 4 EVER
Honestly...they just peaked too early and a prime example of that was the Dreamcast. shyt was already doing online while other consoles at that time weren't until mid-ish of their time. I just love the dreamcast why did it peak so early? :mjcry:

You could go online too with the Sega Saturn with NetLink attachment. Sega was truly innovative. Even with the Sega Master System 1985, they had cartridges slots and the Hucard slot on it. Something later NEC used for it's system TurboGraFX-16.

Last edited:

TheLostOnes

Laker for life
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philadelphia
You could go online with too with the Sega Saturn with NetLink attachment. Sega was truly innovative. Even with the Sega Master System 1985, they had cartridges slots and the Hucard slot on it. Something later NEC used for it's system TurboGraFX-16.
Oh wow, I didn't even know that. Just another reminder of how ahead of their time Sega truly was :mjcry: