What RUINED Sega? - The Fall of an Empire

Daps
Reppin
Old School Players to New School Fools
What killed Sega was SONYs genius marketing.
They had adverts in men’s magazines and managed to capture the 21-35 crowd.
Many many brand new gamers.

Sega has the better games of the generation by far. but eventually the majority jumped to a Sony.
Sony almost killed Nintendo too.

Saturn japan had the best games line up since the SNES days.
Panzer Dragoon Saga has many elements that Zelda BOTW uses and is the best RPG ever probably hence why it’s ebays most expensive game.

Sega also has the best shoot em up ever - Radiant Silvergun & all the best Capcom exclusives inc street fighter, darkstalkers and the mega man x series.
Games were also better quality side by side vs PlayStation equivalents

Dont even get me started on Shenmue..

C. Dante

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Trying to innovate too much without proper presentation, and using attachments and accessories instead of built in features. With all attachments , dreamcast was 10 years ahead of it's time. Also they relied on Sonic being the face of the brand for too long

Amor fati

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Great Britain
:mjcry: would cop a new sega console even if Sonic Forces was their launch title. I want them back in the game, brehs.
Sega probably has PTSD of console's. I see Sega as a conservative and a play it safe company now heck they ain't even doing anything new with arcade games or some type of new type machine. The only way I could see Sega releasing a console is if they get bought out and the new chairmen decide to release a new console.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
As a guy who was there, and aware.. I was gaming woke :dame:

Sega got Xbox One'd

The Sega Saturn was being talked about in magazines and then one day you walk into a gaming store and its sitting right there, $400 maybe $500, systems was no more than $300 at the time so the price was on some :scust:i remember thinking. I don't remember the price ever dropping and the system was quickly forgotten.

Then Sega did the same thing with the dreamcast, there was no album release party. I randomly walked into a toys r us, saw NFL2k on display :ohhh:Then saw the price for the dreamcast ($199) I think I shyt my pants, then wrote a check, walked out with both. Had an amazing run of games, brought integrated internet to console, had programs that taught coding and how to build websites, make games for the VMU's.

Then according to places such as IGN it was the fanboys who loved EA, this mystery shadow group of gamers loved EA so much that they wouldn't stick with Sega. (This was really what they said at the time) EA was in direct competition with the 2k series and vowed to not support Sega consoles moving forward. They called that the nail in the coffin, then said it wouldn't be able to survive because it wasn't as powerful as the *edit* PS2 was. Dreamcast games looked great to me, I didn't need better :martin:
This is so 90s :pachaha:

The G.O.D II

A ha ha
Supporter
Daps
They overextended themselves. Sega cable, sega CD, 32x. The latter being especially dumb since the Saturn was right around the corner. Then the release of the Saturn like that was moronic. Plus that shyt was expensive and lacked third party support in comparison to PlayStation. Even still they could recover, which the Dreamcast demonstrated. But the PS2 and the DVD drive crushed the building. That and the ability to bootleg at will all the games without any modification of the system made what little third party support they had abandon ship

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Sega being lead by Sega of Japan when all of their success in consoles were in the West. Nintendo was killing them in Japan so they cut the Genesis/Mega Drive lifespan a little too early to push out a overly complicated system. From what I read, it seems SOJ was a little jealous of SOA

He Who Posts Well

Superstar
Daps
This was a great video. I liked hearing about the history of video games. Sega was a real innovative company that pushed the gaming industry forward. Their downfall was mainly Sega Japan's indecisiveness.

They turned down a new gen chipset for a console that would have eventually turned into the N64 :dead:

They turned down a joint venture with Sony and missed out on the Playstation :mindblown:

Then lost the CEO that brought them mainstream success in the first place :wow:

They had a small resurgence with Dreamcast, then the PS2 came and crushed the buildings. :picard:

They took so many L's. I guess I can see why they decided to give up on consoles.

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
in the immortal words of Del:

"Hey KU you know my SEGA collection is massive
Got all the past hits and classics
Herzog Zwei now Panzer Zwei
Originality that made me a fan today"

"Know I chose Saturn first Cause it's 2-D heaven
Bernie Stolar dropped the ball with the RAM cartridge

X-men Vs. Streetfighter could've expanded the market"

:wow:

I still wonder what the industry would be like if they were still in console hardware game

but on the other hand...we probably wouldn't have gotten Sonic on a Nintendo platform/smash...and that in itself, given their history is dope as hell