What RUINED Sega? - The Fall of an Empire

Amor fati

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Great Britain
Sega CD probably would have been well remembered if the western releases did not include them cheesy FMV games. 32X and Sega Saturn(Europe and North American releases) The early releases before the official retail release for the Saturn messed up everything in the long run, however, in Japan SS was doing well and even lasted till 2000.

firemanBk

The Manslayer
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Not even watching the video but the Western launch of the Saturn combined with Sony entering the console space ruined them.
That surprise launch of the Saturn got them dropped from several major retailers cause they didn't send them launch units. It also threw a huge wrench in development for third parties. They were planning on a release 4 months later so there was literally not a single 3rd party game ready for launch.
Later on not going with a DVD player on the Dreamcast was the big issue. Many, many people bought a PS2 as their first DVD player. That should've been the Dreamcast

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang
As a guy who was there, and aware.. I was gaming woke :dame:

Sega got Xbox One'd

The Sega Saturn was being talked about in magazines and then one day you walk into a gaming store and its sitting right there, $400 maybe $500, systems was no more than $300 at the time so the price was on some :scust:i remember thinking. I don't remember the price ever dropping and the system was quickly forgotten.

Then Sega did the same thing with the dreamcast, there was no album release party. I randomly walked into a toys r us, saw NFL2k on display :ohhh:Then saw the price for the dreamcast ($199) I think I shyt my pants, then wrote a check, walked out with both. Had an amazing run of games, brought integrated internet to console, had programs that taught coding and how to build websites, make games for the VMU's.

Then according to places such as IGN it was the fanboys who loved EA, this mystery shadow group of gamers loved EA so much that they wouldn't stick with Sega. (This was really what they said at the time) EA was in direct competition with the 2k series and vowed to not support Sega consoles moving forward. They called that the nail in the coffin, then said it wouldn't be able to survive because it wasn't as powerful as the *edit* PS2 was. Dreamcast games looked great to me, I didn't need better :martin:

Last edited:

Amor fati

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Great Britain
I had a Saturn was better than my PS1 but they lacked in the games department wasn't many games you could play on the Saturn compared to the PlayStation
Sega Japan screwed that shyt up, with the miscommunications with Sega America. Over in Japan SS had a shyt ton of games, but for some reason, Sega Japan thought most of the Japan exclusives weren't marketable in the west mainly specifically the U.S

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang
I had a Saturn was better than my PS1 but they lacked in the games department wasn't many games you could play on the Saturn compared to the PlayStation
Sony had EA but I recall a few other game companies said the same thing. It was a power move by Sony. How they gonna tell other companies they can't develop for them and dreamcast? Well, Nintendo was famous for that before Sony (Tru Story) which is ironic since Nintendo is now making its living in that same lane Sega was in at the time :ohhh:

Amor fati

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Great Britain
The way they handled the Saturn launch was the dumbest thing I’ve ever seen a big gaming company do.
That was the most idiotic business move in history indeed, Sega didn't plan their shyt all the way instead they only reacted to setbacks creating a deeper hole for themselves.