what makes "Die Hard" the GOAT action film

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!
I read a convincing article once that the secret to Die Hard's appeal was the VILLAINS.

Apparently, in the original version of the story the bad guys were supposed to be *real* terrorists. The trick the movie pulled off was to make them thieves. That makes them secretly relatable to the audience. If they were terrorists we would hate them, but since they're thieves sticking it to "The Man" (i.e. the Japanese corporations that 80's mainstream America was SO afraid of taking over the world), the audience kind of roots for them a little (even though they're killers).

So you can identify with John McClane as an everyman hero, and ALSO feel happy when Hans' group breaks through the vault

Last edited:

ShaDynasty

Chaos Theory Part 1 - The Album
Daps
Mclane is a really cool character in a high stakes situation.

A director could easily fukk it up, as evidenced by many of the copycat films that followed. Bruce Willis had perfected being an action smartass in Moonlighting, he just needed a good script and director.

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
Just watched again and I realized that the plan to get away with the money and bonds was stupid, no one was going to believe you died on the roof. The limo driver caught dude pulling off in a service van.

And even if you say, that was the black dude double crossing them, them leaving in that big ass truck where there is a police blockade was stupid.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
Just watched again and I realized that the plan to get away with the money and bonds was stupid, no one was going to believe you died on the roof. The limo driver caught dude pulling off in a service van.

And even if you say, that was the black dude double crossing them, them leaving in that big ass truck where there is a police blockade was stupid.
I never thought about this but you’re right

Monoblock

Smoooth
Daps
Reppin
Houston
IMG-3255.jpg

Bugzbunny129

All Star
Daps
it imo started the action blend with comedy but stayed on the serious side which made it great. Technically arnold flirted with action/comedy first with running man which had gags but really didnt start until early 90s, along with stallone with total recall, t2, demolition man, last action hero. Die hard taking off spearheaded that bit was always serious first comedy second; until the end ones came.

Die hard is just funny. John mcclane as the pissed off new yorker in posh LA surrounded by cokeheads and austrian terrorists, on the phone with a cop on outside crying about twinkies. Its comedy. The coke head guy killed it too. Hilarious. And the black computer hacker was killjng the one liners.

I think when he tried to get new shoes and the guy he killed has small feet is one of funniest moments for me. Glad die hard 3 went hard into that territory.

Last edited: