What is the history of NYC's "Chopped Cheese"

Canada Goose

Pooping on your head :umad:
Daps
Reppin
A lake near Tampa FL
Cap. It’s more like a cheeseburger chopped up. It’s not cheesesteak meat.
I honestly think *some* NYC corner stores use the same meat for both :heh: They certainly taste the same when getting it from Ock.

Now that I think about it Philly steak from Charley's grilled subs does use different meat than the Ock Philly cheesesteak :patrice:

Supa

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
OI been in NYC my whole life and I never heard of it until the yuppies moved into Brooklyn/NYC around 2009 - 2014
No New Yorker that I know would willingly walk into a deli and order a sandwich with red meat -dame-
Not knowing how long that m'fukka been in that refrigerator.

:manny:

Cac alert :mjlol:

Nah, chopped cheese started in Harlem. I believe it was Haji's bodega on 1st avenue who made it first. It was just a cheap sandwich they served. My little cousins used to get them a lot because they were like $4.50. All the bodegas started making them but it was mainly a Harlem thing that spread to the bodegas in other boroughs.

There was some cac who did a feature about chopped cheese on YouTube and it went viral. That's when it became a "New York staple" when that wasn't the case. It was no different than getting 4 wings and fried rice or two slices of pizza. It sold because it was affordable for people in the hood not because it was the NY cheesesteak. It was never meant to be a big deal.

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York
This man negged me over chopped cheese
:mjlol:

There’s some serious trauma around that
:mjlol:

I negged you calling u a hoe n the rest of your borough.

I asked you when your parents came over here.

You got the audacity to tell me I wouldn't get it?

Get the fukk on :camby:

ole trying to fit in ass breh.

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
stop using divestor language on the moist generation :ufdup:
I’ll never make that mistake again. Terrible troll/joke in my part. I don’t even really use the “term of endearment” version of the N word anyways.

Actually6Foot3

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
BKNY
No TF it wasn't "always a thing". I never heard of it until the internet.

I had business in bodegas u capping.
Tf having "business in bodegas" mean. I'm telling you as a resident of NYC my entire life we were getting chop cheeses when I was in highschool 15 years ago.

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York
Tf having "business in bodegas" mean. I'm telling you as a resident of NYC my entire life we were getting chop cheeses when I was in highschool 15 years ago.

N u repping BK right? 15 years ago is when it started is what u saying?

Having business in Bodegas means that I WAS IN THEM.

This is some BRAND NEW shyt. I'm asking for the history. Just provide it or KIM.

So Chopped cheese wasn't a thing until 15 years ago in BK. Got it.

Actually6Foot3

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
BKNY
N u repping BK right? 15 years ago is when it started is what u saying?

Having business in Bodegas means that I WAS IN THEM.

This is some BRAND NEW shyt. I'm asking for the history. Just provide it or KIM.

So Chopped cheese wasn't a thing until 15 years ago in BK. Got it.
Bro think he a expert because Ock had him sweeping the floors and restocking catnip at night :mjlol: