What is it with GEN X Whites pretending the 90s was a utopia of Race relations?

frush11

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
90s wasn't like that. We barely associated with each other. It was straight social segregation, especially in schools. White kids barely associated with Blacks, and vice versa. Most off them listen to Rock, we didn't.

For most part, we avoided them, they avoided us. Eminem, and the death of Rock music in the mainstream changed a lot of things

frush11

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I did think it was dead and those whites I grew up with would be the ones to really stamp out racism...but sadly pretty much all those guys became MAGA or that secretly racist liberal type. But I definitely thought once their grandparents and older parents died off that white ppl would put all that racist shyt aside. But the country went backwards, not just white ppl, the Entire country .
Why would they stamp out something that always put them in the Winning position?

Kiyoshi-Dono

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Petty Vandross.. fukk Yall
Be a nerdy breh in the 90s
You was getting it from all sides
You ain’t black enough-black folks
Black people don’t do that or listen to that type of music-white folks
You watching our cartoons-Asians
Indians were a non factor and still are in my social circle
Never gave a fukk about them
But this was my full experience even until sophomore year of college
It’s cap all around

Daps
maybe it was because i was in cambridge, regarded by many as the most progressive city in the country, but i don’t recall experiencing the same tension with whites during the 90s that i do now.

obviously, racism was a problem then, but my experiences with it weren’t as pronounced. it’s likely because i wasn’t as conscious during that period, so i wasn’t as acutely aware of its manifestations as i am now.

:yeshrug:

Savvir

Veteran
Daps
maybe it was because i was in cambridge, regarded by many as the most progressive city in the country, but i don’t recall experiencing the same tension with whites during the 90s that i do now.

my relations with whites were different back then.

:yeshrug:
that was before a black man became president...

then even the "non-racist" started realizing their superiority/control was being challenged....

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
As a black tether millennial, I’m gonna do what millennials do and speak outside my scope of knowledge as if I’m a professor. But I figure white GenXers who went to ice cube NOI-esque concerts back in the day, and sat through him calling white ppl the devil(cave bytch) fancied themselves as CACs who “solved the racism problem”. The same CACs who saw ECW wrestler New Jack, give props to OJ, and still remained a fan of his, I’m sure these GenX Cacs fancy themselves as being “advanced” for their perceived tolerance of black radicalism. :mjlol:

As if black Americans haven’t had to sit through decades and decades of anti black American propaganda and racism with a smile. As if we tethers haven’t had to sit through decades of colonialisms anti black propaganda. :mjlol:

zayk35

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Escondido California
Why would they stamp out something that always put them in the Winning position?
I get what you're saying, but I'm talking from my personal perspective as a youngster, when I had no grasp of actual issues I was 8 yrs old when I moved into a white neighborhood in 1986. Those kids at that time was like "hey there's a new kid, come play" and next thing ya know we was all tight and race was never an issue. They could come to my house any time as well as I could be in there house and it wasn't nothing. The whole neighborhood was like that. Even our parents got along and everything.

Rarely-Wrong Liggins

Name another Liggins hot I'm just honest.
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Staff
It wasn't this utopia some older white people seem to believe it was but without the 24 hour news cycle and social media it could definitely be out of sight out of mind. As a child I and many other poor little black kids didn't have much association with white people besides a few of our teachers and I never had any issues with them. As for older adults you could smile in someone's face publicly and shyt on them privately without anyone ever being the wiser. Despite there being a number of major racial flashpoints in the 90s, these events couldn't be mined for outrage and partisan engagement.

Prolonged visible divisions (more political than racial) in this country manifested during the Bush years coinciding with the rise of the Internet and the 24 hour news cycle. Obama becoming President during the beginning of the social media era brought racial tensions to the fore in ways that hadn't been seen in decades and it has just gotten progressively worse.