What Happened to the South?

Adonai

Pro
Daps
I mean the South still exists... The sunbelt area cities have just gone a massive population migration from people from the North and other HCOL areas in the US.

I'm just speaking from what I know from living in North Carolina. Claiming the "South Doesn't Exist Anymore" is wild. I can still visit family in Clinton, Ahoskie, Enfield, Pendelton, and find farmers on the side of road with stalls selling fresh fruits and veggies.

Sound like bro visited Durham, Raleigh, or Charlotte and made this stupid azz video.

Last edited:

Dameon Farrow

Superstar
Daps
This country's housing situation is completely fukked. Well, except for the Midwest.
I'm a broken record on this but something most definitely has to shake on this note and soon.

You can still find decent rent prices deep in the sticks(or swamp if you will here in Louisiana) but if you wann live close to anything? Prepare to have a career plus a side hustle. Not that a side hustle is a bad thing.

Daps
america is essentially one vast plantation, a sprawling estate of unprecedented scope, owned by a few obscenely wealthy families. on its fields are the lower class, in the houses the middle class, and along its periphery the abjectly poor and homeless.

once reagan and clintonian democrats uprooted the new deal, stripped away regulations that prevented monopolies, and made significant cuts to education, the nation was set on a path to third world status.

and, by “third world ,” i’m not just referring to the poverty we commonly associate with the word. i also refer to the pronounced concentration of wealth in a small number of hands, the militarization of police for the purpose of suppressing the rabble, and a politically marginalized public that has no say in government.

:francis:

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
Oh nah my son Von and them Chitown nikkas turned them up

Never in a million years I would hear Philly heads talking about sets and Bangin :francis:

It used to be about getting money and of course over a bytch.

Now it's sets, raps, social media foolishness, and or over a bytch

tuckgod

The high exalted
Bushed
Daps
Never in a million years I would hear Philly heads talking about sets and Bangin :francis:

It used to be about getting money and of course over a bytch.

Now it's sets, raps, social media foolishness, and or over a bytch
Its all the same shyt rebranded.

Just neighborhood beefs and young nikkas reppin while they can still blame their behavior on their age.

Frfr Dreamchasers, OBH, and all that shyt morphed into what you see today, goofy rapper shyt making the detectives jobs easier.

Wasn't too long ago it was unheard of in NYC too

….

Stick Up Kid

Veteran
WOAT
Daps
Reppin
Newark NJ
My cousins are from Louisiana, we use to go out there from time to time in the 90s.... them whoadies' lived up to every Southern stereotype
:manny:

Kiyoshi-Dono

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Petty Vandross.. fukk Yall
Because the secrets and the way of living that big momma and pop pop bestowed on some of us
Became look down upon by us
This very forum is filled with nikkas only preaching STEM and other white collared jobs
Calling people from the south bamas
Then you go outside and hear the same rhetoric
For every Doctor, Lawyer, Geek nikka on a computer
We need people on construction, farming, mechanics
How you going to have a society when everybody is behind a desk
Then complain when having to depend on others to fix our shyt or give us service
We bought into the bullshyt and became short sided
Nations need people with multiple skills
Most of this board would be food tomorrow if shyt really hit the fan
How many know how to fix your own car
How many know how to patch up injuries
How many know the signs of fresh water
How to hunt and shoot rifles
Curate soil and till it
Look for fresh fruits that aren’t poisonous
Skin fish and other woodland creatures
These luxuries ain’t going to last forever and when shyt hits the fan

BeeCityRoller

New Bee
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Queen City
What happened is New Yorkers came to the south expecting to be treated like royalty and that aura wore off quickly...gotta put in work like everybody else.

To be fair alot of natives in the south also blew their chance by being complacent. They were cool with a $12 an hour job and a $400 apartment, never wanted to buy a home. Now the job market is fierce and homes aren't any more affordable in comparison to the median income in these cities.

Now I see people trying to push the Rust Belt/Midwest cities as the new wave that white people are coincidentally moving to like Madison WI.

Just like Langston, the person who is in that video missed out. He's been in NC/Charlotte going on a decade and renting the entire time. I remember him talking trash about Charlotte 2 years ago saying New Yorkers ruined the city. Sir, you are from New York and refused to work a W2 job long enough to qualify to buy a home loan
:comeon:
He tried to plan a move to Florida (like all people who can't make it in Charlotte/ATL) but quickly shot that down once realizing the cost of living in comparison to quality of life is even worse there.

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
There's a fun and real conversation to be had around his premise. Part I of a thoughtful, educated response...

Pre-emancipation, the only "big cities" in the South were Baltimore, Washington, Norfolk, Charleston, and New Orleans...

Two of those cities, DC and Bmore, are still big cities, but aren't considered southern anymore the way they were 200 years ago; the national perception of these cities shifted in the mid-20th century...

The other three cities, there are people who will debate you about how southern Norfolk is today, but more importantly, none of the other three cities are considered "big cities" today. Another 20th-century evolution, was that we started measuring cities by metropolitan population rather than just city population, and neither Nfk, Chuck Town or Nola, are in the Top 45 metros. So they are a long way removed from "big city" status, though Charleston and New Orleans enjoy a tourism/entertainment reputation...

Pre-emancipation, the North had plenty of big cities. NY, Philly, Boston, St Louis, Chicago, Cincy, Buff, Albany, Providence, and a bunch of cities that are now either annexed by larger cities (like Brooklyn was a separate city), or are today considered small (Salem, Mass was one of the biggest cities in the US pre-emancipation). The "big city" North vs the mostly rural, small city, agricultural south is a stereotype rooted in truth, and while the South being thought of as a rural backwater with no big, unique cities is mostly evolved from now, the historic perception of the South still plays for some people...

The 15 largest cities/metros/markets in the South today, are:

DFW
Houston
Atlanta
Miami
Tampa
Orlando
Charlotte
San Antonio
Austin
Raleigh-Durham
Nashville
Jacksonville
OKC
Louisville
Richmond

All of which are among America's 45 most important cities today, which is a significant juxtaposition from just barely 160 years ago. Maybe the most remarkable illustration of this, is that NONE of these cities were "big cities" prior to the emergence of the big Texas cities in the 1950s and 1960s.....a century post-emancipation.

So for many Americans of all backgrounds, the idea of the South evolving into sophisticated big city from slow country landscape is, at best, 70 years old, and at worst, some of these cities like the Carolina cities, Jacksonville, Orlando, are just growing into that recognition here in the 21st century...

Simply put, if you grew up before the year 2000, it's hard to shake some of these archaic stereotypes. I'm 35, I only knew about the Carolina cities growing up because I was into sports. The Panthers went to their first Super Bowl when I was 14 but I didn't think of Charlotte as a "big city". I was into the Baron Davis/Jamal Mashburn Hornets a few years before that...

Orlando was only the place All That and other Nickelodeon kids shows taped at, and had Disney World. The image of Orlando in my mind wasn't a big city...

Neither were Nashville, Richmond, San Antonio, Austin, etc. And I'm only 35, the guy in this video is probably a good decade older than me. He references the 80s and 90s in the video, so let's say he was born in '79. Him coming to Charlotte and Durham in the 80s and 90s, is a marked difference from what Charlotte and Durham are today. Charlotte, Raleigh, and Durham have all literally doubled their populations today, from what they were 30 years ago in the mid-90s. They and all the "new" southern cities have grown the same way the "old" big cities of the North grew centuries ago: mass migration, leasing industries, and international immigration....

The big cities of the North dominated the landscape of American cultural norms for 300-330 years. It's just the South's turn now, and given we only really 50 years into the South's run, it's probably gonna last awhile and the ramifications of it are gonna be hard for alot of older people to swallow...

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
My Part 2 answer...

All that said, I've been working in Durham all summer, it's definitely still the South. It just isn't your stereotypical South anymore...

It continues to grow like a mf but it's still comparatively slow in pace, it's landscape is almost entirely southern, accents are thick as fukk. Small downtown. You can still find mf's selling fruit on the road here, except most of them are Hispanic now...

This guy just ranting and raving that Durham don't look how it did when he was a kid in the 80s and 90s. It's definitely a known fact that it's losing it's blackness. But overall it's probably the best Durham it's ever been...

MasterThought

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Trap music killed the fun soulful vibe of the South to me.

Trap music brought a dark cloud of negativity over the South to me.