What film do you think has had the biggest impact on the film industry?

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
The Exorcist.

It’s a shame no one has mentioned it. It doesn’t get any bigger in the horror genre.

I’d disagree. Halloween and black Christmas or psycho have had more influence on horror than the exorcist. Or at least equal influence

Do we give credit to Indiana Jones starting the Action-Adventure blockbuster or Na?

Martha

Nope. It was there before raiders. If anything raiders just inspired a group of directors to look back at shyt they loved as a kid and make their own versions

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
Nope. It was there before raiders. If anything raiders just inspired a group of directors to look back at shyt they loved as a kid and make their own versions

Ok, help me refresh my memory.

What was the first action adventure blockbuster movie in the vein of Raiders?:patrice:

You got me really thinking now

Martha

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Ok, help me refresh my memory.

What was the first action adventure blockbuster movie in the vein of Raiders?:patrice:

You got me really thinking now

Martha

Any Bond flick is the first second third and fourth to come to mind. Dr no was big. From Russia with love was bigger. Goldfinger was huge and thunderball was bigger than all of them. And raiders only came into existence because he wanted to do his James Bond since he figured broccoli and saltzman would never let him direct. Of course when they were interested they couldn’t afford him anymore.

Lawrence of Arabia,Ben hur, Adventures in Robin Hood. shyt even north by northwest. Raiders was a very specific type of action, one that owes a lot to the serials of the 30s. But it wasn’t the first action adventure flick to hit it big at the box office. Most of the early action adventure flicks in Hollywood were focused on the military. So that’s stuff like the great escape.

Bryan Danielson

Daps
Reppin
Any Bond flick is the first second third and fourth to come to mind. Dr no was big. From Russia with love was bigger. Goldfinger was huge and thunderball was bigger than all of them. And raiders only came into existence because he wanted to do his James Bond since he figured broccoli and saltzman would never let him direct. Of course when they were interested they couldn’t afford him anymore.

Lawrence of Arabia,Ben hur, Adventures in Robin Hood. shyt even north by northwest. Raiders was a very specific type of action, one that owes a lot to the serials of the 30s. But it wasn’t the first action adventure flick to hit it big at the box office. Most of the early action adventure flicks in Hollywood were focused on the military. So that’s stuff like the great escape.

See, I considered Bond at first.... but then I thought that was really a "Spy/Espionage Flick" and it didnt seem like (other than Conner) the other guys pre Craig move the needle that much.

I know it was a different time back then but was Dr No really "that big" Cuz that was by far the least grossing one of all the movies
James Bond Movies at the Box Office - Box Office Mojo

I mean you may be right.....

But I as looking regarding something that seems more of a "guy who's not spy or military, traveling to different country and hidden places searching for something" type films. The latest film of that similar type was Jumanji with the Rock. But films like that.

Martha

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
See, I considered Bond at first.... but then I thought that was really a "Spy/Espionage Flick" and it didnt seem like (other than Conner) the other guys pre Craig move the needle that much.

I know it was a different time back then but was Dr No really "that big" Cuz that was by far the least grossing one of all the movies
James Bond Movies at the Box Office - Box Office Mojo

I mean you may be right.....

But I as looking regarding something that seems more of a "guy who's not spy or military, traveling to different country and hidden places searching for something" type films. The latest film of that similar type was Jumanji with the Rock. But films like that.

Martha

Dr no was big for its time homie. Yes it’s the lowest grossing but it should be. You gotta look at context of 1962.

And of course I’m right :russ: Surgical with this shyt. Nah joking aside, I don’t classify raiders as a specific type of action flick. It’s an action flick to me. It’s not like the French connection or bullit

Bryan Danielson

Daps
Reppin
Dr no was big for its time homie. Yes it’s the lowest grossing but it should be. You gotta look at context of 1962.

And of course I’m right :russ: Surgical with this shyt. Nah joking aside, I don’t classify raiders as a specific type of action flick. It’s an action flick to me. It’s not like the French connection or bullit

I feel you, I may need to go back and watch some early Bond movies..... just dont remember them being to "action oriented" like fast pace shyt. Matter fact, if I recall, I thought that was the BIG APPEAL to the Craig Era is that he's more of an ACTION FIGHTING JB vs the others.

Like they did car chases and shoot outs, but dont recall too many of them putting as much fisticuffs.

They spied, staked out, got in disguises, fukked chicks, planted shyt, used cool gadgets/weapons or cars....... but didnt really recall too much action packed shyt.

oh and I get the context of 1962 but 3 years later that film did about 4 times that, I would think "that" movie would be considered big for its time. But I feel you

Martha

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I feel you, I may need to go back and watch some early Bond movies..... just dont remember them being to "action oriented" like fast pace shyt. Matter fact, if I recall, I thought that was the BIG APPEAL to the Craig Era is that he's more of an ACTION FIGHTING JB vs the others.

Like they did car chases and shoot outs, but dont recall too many of them putting as much fisticuffs.

They spied, staked out, got in disguises, fukked chicks, planted shyt, used cool gadgets/weapons or cars....... but didnt really recall too much action packed shyt.

oh and I get the context of 1962 but 3 years later that film did about 4 times that, I would think "that" movie would be considered big for its time. But I feel you

Martha

Breh again context. For 1962, the way Terrence young cut those movies, the action at the time and Connery being a guy who wasn’t afraid to shoot you in the back and or in cold blood is relevatory. They’re quaint now of course because it’s 2018 and film has and should evolve but in 1962, there was nothing like Bond from an action hero perspective. Action evolves so using the Craig era as a sign of action to compare to Connery or Moore is fruitless. That’s like me comparing the special effects tech in Flash Gordon to the special effects technology in guardians of the galaxy. Or comparing the mission impossible tv series to alias; times change and our definitions of things change. What was cutting edge 50 years ago isn’t now. Movies were slower paced then Bond wasn’t by those standards. Action was shot differently. Peter hunt shot action differently than anyone else at the time and it shows when you do a compare and contrast.

Bryan Danielson

Daps
Reppin
Breh again context. For 1962, the way Terrence young cut those movies, the action at the time and Connery being a guy who wasn’t afraid to shoot you in the back and or in cold blood is relevatory. They’re quaint now of course because it’s 2018 and film has and should evolve but in 1962, there was nothing like Bond from an action hero perspective. Action evolves so using the Craig era as a sign of action to compare to Connery or Moore is fruitless. That’s like me comparing the special effects tech in Flash Gordon to the special effects technology in guardians of the galaxy. Or comparing the mission impossible tv series to alias; times change and our definitions of things change. What was cutting edge 50 years ago isn’t now. Movies were slower paced then Bond wasn’t by those standards. Action was shot differently. Peter hunt shot action differently than anyone else at the time and it shows when you do a compare and contrast.

Fair enough.

Oh and I was comparing mainly Dr No (63) to Thunderball (65).

It just feels like the latter would be the bigger movie above all things.

I wasnt trynna outright compare a movie from the 60s with shyt from 2018:russ:

I still kinda (up to DC) look at them more as Political Thrillers/Espionage/Spy Flicks.... but I can see where you're coming from

Martha

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
Lord of the Rings books.
:dahell:
The Exorcist.

It’s a shame no one has mentioned it. It doesn’t get any bigger in the horror genre.
Yes. And it made tons of money.

Some will say Halloween but nah, Exorcist was the first major horror hit. I remember my parents telling me when they went to see it in the theaters the line stretched around 2 or 3 blocks. It has been hailed as the scariest movie of all time. Mos def the exorcist is way up there.

LiveFromLondon

Superstar
Daps
The Bourn Identity changed action films and made them more gritty with how fight scenes are shot. Even Bond had to shark:yeshrug:

LiveFromLondon

Superstar
Daps
Blade 1

Not the first superhero movie......but it really woke up hollywood to the fact that there was still a hungry superhero fandom market there to be exploited.

It really was the gateway drug for the modern superhero film explosion
:patrice: what did it influence though, there wasnt many CBMs that made money after it in its era.
Black Panther
:comeon:

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
:patrice: what did it influence though, there wasnt many CBMs that made money after it in its era.
:comeon:
Blade influenced the people who write checks to let them know it was safe to go in the water again. Without blade, maybe we don’t get X-men or Spider-Man in its wake because studios might still be tepid or unsure if comic book flicks can be successful.

For me when I think of impact I’m not talking about money solely; it’s trends and blade definitely set off a trend