What film do you think has had the biggest impact on the film industry?

DosCadenaz

Superstar
Daps
Most definitely. But you gotta be more than hard as fukk to be the greatest of all time. LL will tell you that
Real
But yeah people can't distinguish between good and bad or best and favorite.
I don't even think half the people who say movies like Godfather is the best even know why but rather just not have anybody argue with them. On Twitter at least it's like that lol. I can't believe people don't like Scarface anymore. When I was growing up, it was universally loved but now people hate all the sudden. Following trends. That's why I just watch for myself.
I got a homie who won't go see a movie if the Rotten tomatoes score isn't good enough.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Real
But yeah people can't distinguish between good and bad or best and favorite.
I don't even think half the people who say movies like Godfather is the best even know why but rather just not have anybody argue with them. On Twitter at least it's like that lol. I can't believe people don't like Scarface anymore. When I was growing up, it was universally loved but now people hate all the sudden. Following trends. That's why I just watch for myself.
I got a homie who won't go see a movie if the Rotten tomatoes score isn't good enough.

Going to correct you on one thing breh although I agree with everything you said: Scarface was never universally beloved. It was a flop when it came out and got horrible reviews. They called it tasteless, racists, senseless trash. It’s esteem grew because minorities like us propped it up. Rappers propped it up. Athletes propped it up; everyone who could identify with the “nothing to something” narrative and “the world is yours” is how it became what it is. But amongst film heads, the shyt has never been good.

Plus I’m on record saying I liked it in high school and can’t stand it now so :russ: but that came from experience. Going to college, studying film, reading, learning shyt and then you start putting things together and yeah for me, Scarface just isn’t my jam anymore and I see why it was lambasted in 83 and why not everyone came around on it.

But do yourself a favor and google some criticisms of it from that era

Vandelay

Life is absurd. Lean into it.
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
Citizen Kane

Gone with the Wind

The Godfather

Star Wars Episode 4

The Dark Knight

Malcolm X

Wizard of Oz

The Ten Commandments

The Birth of a Nation. The message was and is horrible and unfortunately it led to the rebirth of the KKK. It's impactful because it was the first blockbuster and first film shown at the white house. At the time it was innovative for it's film technique.

Blade. Showed that superhero films could be taken seriously after the disaster of Batman and Robin.

Superman

Iron Man. Kickstarted the MCU and showed that it could make a B/ C level superhero into a household name.

Black Panther

The Matrix

Toy Story

This is the one I didn't want to call...

Birth of a Nation set the blue print for modern cinema pretty much as we know it...minus talking obviously.

I just don't want to give shine to a KKK recruitment tool.

DosCadenaz

Superstar
Daps
Going to correct you on one thing breh although I agree with everything you said: Scarface was never universally beloved. It was a flop when it came out and got horrible reviews. They called it tasteless, racists, senseless trash. It’s esteem grew because minorities like us propped it up. Rappers propped it up. Athletes propped it up; everyone who could identify with the “nothing to something” narrative and “the world is yours” is how it became what it is. But amongst film heads, the shyt has never been good.

Plus I’m on record saying I liked it in high school and can’t stand it now so :russ: but that came from experience. Going to college, studying film, reading, learning shyt and then you start putting things together and yeah for me, Scarface just isn’t my jam anymore and I see why it was lambasted in 83 and why not everyone came around on it.

But do yourself a favor and google some criticisms of it from that era
Nah I'm familiar with all that lol. I'm just one of the people who still liked it when I got older. I am heavily entertained when I watch it lol. But I think the majority of the audience follows whatever they say. Not to change the topic but I remember when more people liked Pac than Biggie then everybody jumped on Biggie as I got older. People a weird bunch

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Nah I'm familiar with all that lol. I'm just one of the people who still liked it when I got older. I am heavily entertained when I watch it lol. But I think the majority of the audience follows whatever they say. Not to change the topic but I remember when more people liked Pac than Biggie then everybody jumped on Biggie as I got older. People a weird bunch

It’s always about your circle man. It’s why the one thing I hate on the internet is anecdotal evidence. We use our circle around us to project what the rest of the world felt and it’s asinine at best and myopic at worst. World is a lot bigger than we know
James Bond would like to have a word with you...
homie I’m a huge bond fan. But the merchandising on Star Wars makes Bonds initial foray into cute guns for kids look silly. The genius of Lucas was to not only do toys, which had been done, but also cartoons, clothes, soundtracks, disco records etc etc. Cubby broccoli and harry saltzman weren’t thinking on the level of Lucas. It invented the modern franchise as we know it today, complete with clothes, stickers, Christmas tree ornaments, shoes, tv tie ins, lunchboxes

Killigraphy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NYC black coffee tough guys aka the Stoozy Boys
Fight Club - People still use/quote "First rule of..."

Matrix - Introduced cyberpunk and wushu in one film. That's damn near impossible to pull off on paper, so when you seem it on film, its that much more magical. Also, bullet time....it was/is kinda of big deal.

Gladiator - A good story mixed what feels like a classical film, its action is just as good as its storytelling. Also quoted beyond belief.

Back to the Future - Time travel can work on film, especially when its inaccurate, a movie with an ensemble cast, its better then one movie with only one noticeable face. Also because of it - Rick and Morty, nuff said.

Blade Runner - Proper cyberpunk, god like execution.

Godfather - The king of pacing, acting, and spacing.

Vertigo - Its easy to mention any Hitchcock film, he understood actors, location and setting.

The Shining - See up top...Kubrick was a visionary genius. A proper layered movie.

DosCadenaz

Superstar
Daps
It’s always about your circle man. It’s why the one thing I hate on the internet is anecdotal evidence. We use our circle around us to project what the rest of the world felt and it’s asinine at best and myopic at worst. World is a lot bigger than we know

homie I’m a huge bond fan. But the merchandising on Star Wars makes Bonds initial foray into cute guns for kids look silly. The genius of Lucas was to not only do toys, which had been done, but also cartoons, clothes, soundtracks, disco records etc etc. Cubby broccoli and harry saltzman weren’t thinking on the level of Lucas. It invented the modern franchise as we know it today, complete with clothes, stickers, Christmas tree ornaments, shoes, tv tie ins, lunchboxes
True. World is massive. People on Twitter that I know off here too tho. Everybody just wanna feel smart lol. I just smoke weed n watch shyt fukk it

Barbados Slim

All Star
Daps
There’s lots of films but this discussion always has one answer for me and it’s been said, The Matrix.

1. For me it was the first film I ever saw that made me genuinely question reality and the advancement of technology and how dangerous it could be. It took Terminator’s Skynet to whole other level - why destroy humanity when you could enslave it. And I was only 15, was too young for my brain to hurt that much?!

2. Bullet Time. This development changed cinema FOREVER.