What are "Southern Values" when it comes to progressive policies?

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
@Rhakim
@FAH1223
@Kenny West
@rapbeats
@wtfyomom
@ZoeGod
@Atlrocafella
@GodinDaFlesh

Why the severe opposition of the southern black vote and progressive policies like medicare 4 All, free college tuition, and unionized jobs with high wages for the working class? While claiming that it is "Christian" to demand low taxes and criminalizing the poor? :jbhmm:

Since the whole Joe Biden/name recognition thing in the primaries, it sounds contradictory towards me. What are these southern values, and why no one else on earth practice it to the extent that the American South does?

wtfyomom

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
@Rhakim
@FAH1223
@Kenny West
@rapbeats
@wtfyomom
@ZoeGod
@Atlrocafella
@GodinDaFlesh

Why the severe opposition of the southern black vote and progressive policies like medicare 4 All, free college tuition, and unionized jobs with high wages for the working class? While claiming that it is "Christian" to demand low taxes and criminalizing the poor? :jbhmm:

Since the whole Joe Biden/name recognition thing in the primaries, it sounds contradictory towards me. What are these southern values, and why no one else on earth practice it to the extent that the American South does?
Honestly I think a lot of the south would be republicans if the GOP weren’t openly racist. It’s just too conservative down there. Being Christian is just a tradition. It’s not different than the racist cac Christian fascists that claim to have morals but don’t.

Wild self

Supporter
Daps
Honestly I think a lot of the south would be republicans if the GOP weren’t openly racist. It’s just too conservative down there. Being Christian is just a tradition. It’s not different than the racist cac Christian fascists that claim to have morals but don’t.

Yeah, they probably would be. On top of the severe cutbacks on formal education, lack of respect for the less fortunate, and the lack of infrastructure. By the way a lot of posters are talking spicy against the progressive movement, they sound like they themselves would have SHOT Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. for starting the poor people's campaign.

Its clear as day that the wealthy people sold them lies, and claim that their money is worth more than helping their neighbor.

jj23

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
To understand, you probably need to let go of the narrative that people who spearheaded the fight for civil rights are now fighting against their best interests and be open minded about that fact that it may be a lot more nuanced than that.

I will give you my take on it. They simply chose the person they think has the best chance of winning, based on their criteria.

Now you may critique their criteria and disagree with them, but labelling them as low educated etc. is a mistake. It may help you feel better to think that, or that they are being fed lies by the media, or that they took marching orders from Clyburn, but you would be missing a chance to learn a lesson from the situation and not make the same mistake in future.

Approach it with an open mind and try to be honest with yourself.

Also I will get a lot of pushback on this and may be banned from this thread, but you @ a slew of Bernie supporters to give you an opinion, chances are this thread will just reinforce your stereotypes. You may want to search further afield for other opinions as well, if you want to really get to the bottom of the issue.

I believe Pressure is from the south. He puts in work politically. It wouldn't hurt to ask his opinion. It's your thread though, so I won't @ him.

Last edited:

OfTheCross

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Keeping my overhead low, and my understand high
To understand, you probably need to let go of the narrative that people who spearheaded the fight for civil rights are now fighting against their best interests and be open minded about that fact that it may be a lot more nuanced than that.

I will give you my take on it. They simply chose the person they think has the best chance of winning, based on their criteria.

Now you may critique their criteria and disagree with them, but labelling them as low educated etc. is a mistake.
It may help you feel better to think that, or that they are being fed lies by the media, or that they took marching orders from Clyburn, but you would be missing a chance to learn a lesson from the situation and not make the same mistake in future.

Approach it with an open mind and try to be honest with yourself.

Also I will get a lot of pushback on this and may be banned from this thread, but you @ a slew of Bernie supporters to give you an opinion, chances are this thread will just reinforce your stereotypes. You may want to search further afield for other opinions as well, if you want to really get to the bottom of the issue.

I believe Pressure is from the south. He puts in work politically. It wouldn't hurt to ask his opinion. It's your thread though, so I won't @ him.

What is their criteria?

SunZoo

The Legendary Super Sapien.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.L.C.

Kinda how a lot of hippies grew into be conservatives as they got older and moved up in class by default at times.

It's much more complex than just that...but southern black folk have plenty in common with their white counterparts in the 'red' states, they just don't vote republican because of blatant racism. So when you offer them republican-lite candidates the logic tells them that's the winning ticket. Not to mention that class loyalty, even within the 'black vote' is something people mentally put on the back burner. The middle class and all between are always going to be a buffer between the working class and the 1%. Even with some who may have lived through civil rights...not everybody in that era was an activist just because they were at the events and expecting them to set aside the culture they adapt to to support a cause, especially when a lot of them are already comfortable is too much to ask for.

What I don't fukk with is making it seem like black folks, from the south or elsewhere are the only 'low information voters' when you have plenty of white folks who vote against their interests too. The difference is the carrot for them is largely maintain their status over minorities, even if they are dirt poor.

GodinDaFlesh

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Godverse
@Rhakim
@FAH1223
@Kenny West
@rapbeats
@wtfyomom
@ZoeGod
@Atlrocafella
@GodinDaFlesh

I think a lot of it is that black voters are putting their trust in black politicians who are really more concerned with retaining power and enriching themselves than putting the people's interest first. Just look at how so many black mayors and politicians were quick to support Bloomberg simply because he cut a check. Most voters support these policies, but they have a stronger loyalty to the politicians that represent them who don't support these policies since they are now apart of that establishment class. Voters need to realize that just because a politician is black, it doesn't automatically mean they have your best interest in mind.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
To understand, you probably need to let go of the narrative that people who spearheaded the fight for civil rights
These people did not spearhead the fight for Civil Rights.

That group of people are dead or close to it.

The ones alive took fruit from it but a lot of people were not supportive of Dr. King who was seen as a troublemaker.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
@Rhakim
@FAH1223
@Kenny West
@rapbeats
@wtfyomom
@ZoeGod
@Atlrocafella
@GodinDaFlesh

I'm from the West coast and my pops left the "South" (sort of, he grew up in two border states) more than 50 years ago. I don't really feel qualified to speak on Southern culture since all my time in that area has pretty much just been visits to elite HBCUs in Maryland/DC/Virginia/Atlanta and work in D.C./Baltimore (again, just border areas).

Wild self

Supporter
Daps
This is bigger than Bernie Sanders, just that studying the last few years of MLK's life, he was labeled as a "troublemaker" for completely aligning his Christian beliefs with social rights and economic gains for poor people. Its was like a ticking time bomb, whether MLK would expose the hypocritical stances of traditional southern Christianity and leave the racist and classist institutions in shambles, or someone from his inner circle would assassinate him for going "too far".

ZoeGod

I’m from Brooklyn a place where stars are born.
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn,NY
I’m from NYC not the south so I cant comment for them. Ask them. However southern blacks are more conservative than their counterparts in the Northeast, Midwest and West-coast. Hell black society is is more conservative in general. Black folks in NYC for the most part may vote Democrat but don’t fukk with some of the views from far left whites mostly with social issues. Same with Latinos who are democrat.