winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I think the whole point of the story was that Eren was evil from day 1... so there was no transition needed. The kid you saw in season 1 was inherently evil just like the adult in season 4.

Mikasa just like Ymir loved an evil man, but she showed Ymir you must destroy them even if you love them.
At some point before it happened he came to terms with what he was going to do. He seemed to show a level of disapproval of those actions but the author just locked him in anyway suggesting that even though be became aware he still had to go through with it.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Welp count that as an L on my record :manny:
8mYupU4.gif

:mjgrin:

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
Y'all buggin saying this man was just making shyt up since the basement :rudy: you can clearly see all the time travel stuff planted in the early chapters/episodes since we know what to look for now, he was cooking something fierce and we prolly won't get anything THAT nuanced for a very long time.

I doubt we see an another anime that's as human as this in our lives :mjcry:
I don't think he was making shyt up after the basement, I think he had ideas and the end goal planned day 1 but the last arc was him clearly either changing course or rushing along to get it done. There's a bunch of stuff he set up and in the last exposition we get from Eren, all he says is "I'm not sure why/how this happened" which says it all, Isayama couldn't find a better way to explain some things so he just yada yada'd them to close out the main plot.

It's not that dissimilar to AOIAF/GOT, were the author knows how the story ends and how each character will end up, but he doesn't know HOW to make those work in the context of everything else he's written. Isayama's ending is much better than the atrocity D&D made with GOT's ending, but I think they all ran into the same problem: how to get to the finish line and execute the end goal they already knew was in place.

And regarding another anime being as human, Vinland Saga has always been better in that regard :manny: Granted, is a much more grounded setting than AOT, but the way it conveys humanity and all the problems we have as a species are presented in a spectacular fashion.

PS: Ymir being in love for 2000 years with the rapist that made her eat her children, only for her to find Mikasa as the woman that would show her how to cut loose from her love -for reasons/motivations that are never explained- is bad writting no matter how you slice it :russ:

Last edited:

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
what did he set up that made sense

let me hear this lmao

series ended with eren talking a girl out of loving her rapist while jumping through time to flex on zeke yal trying to squeeze puzzle pieces together like mf right now

this dude couldn't even give hange her eye back in heaven :laff: lets not even get started on major shyt like historia

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
what did he set up that made sense

let me hear this lmao

series ended with eren talking a girl out of loving her rapist while jumping through time to flex on zeke yal trying to squeeze puzzle pieces together like mf right now

this dude couldn't even give hange her eye back in heaven :laff: lets not even get started on major shyt like historia
:dead: :dead: :dead:

Is Isayama a bigger misogynist than Gege? :ohhh:

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
It's all good, not everything is going to land. You did put me on Frieren and I'm about to start Dark Gathering, so you're ahead of the game. :wow:
Admittedly Spellblades could be a case like Danmachi where the early seasons is iffy, but picks up when it starts building off the world building it did in Season 1. Admittedly if you look only at S1 as a product by itself the only selling point is the twist and music like you said. Cast lowkey gives off Generic Fire Emblem cast vibes with an edgy MC tbh.

Well I am much more confident on Dark Gathering and Frieren admittedly since Frieren gets you invested early and writing is so well done. DG obviously depends what someone thinks of horror obviously. Real horror starts kicking in around ep 9 iirc, but it being character driven helps it a lot in the early parts before it gets pretty disturbing.

LordDeathwatch

Valar Morghulis
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore, MD / Charlotte, NC
Admittedly Spellblades could be a case like Danmachi where the early seasons is iffy, but picks up when it starts building off the world building it did in Season 1. Admittedly if you look only at S1 as a product by itself the only selling point is the twist and music like you said. Cast lowkey gives off Generic Fire Emblem cast vibes with an edgy MC tbh.

Well I am much more confident on Dark Gathering and Frieren admittedly since Frieren gets you invested early and writing is so well done. DG obviously depends what someone thinks of horror obviously. Real horror starts kicking in around ep 9 iirc, but it being character driven helps it a lot in the early parts before it gets pretty disturbing.
Yeah I'm all caught up on Frieren, absolute flames. Looking forward to DG since you gave me the synopsis on it a while back. Been needing a quality horror anime, still waiting on the Ito joint.

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
I don't think he was making shyt up after the basement, I think he had ideas and the end goal planned day 1 but the last arc was him clearly either changing course or rushing along to get it done. There's a bunch of stuff he set up and in the last exposition we get from Eren, all he says is "I'm not sure why/how this happened" which says it all, Isayama couldn't find a better way to explain some things so he just yada yada'd them to close out the main plot.

It's not that dissimilar to AOIAF/GOT, were the author knows how the story ends and how each character will end up, but he doesn't know HOW to make those work in the context of everything else he's written. Isayama's ending is much better than the atrocity D&D made with GOT's ending, but I think they all ran into the same problem: how to get to the finish line and execute the end goal they already knew was in place.

And regarding another anime being as human, Vinland Saga has always been better in that regard :manny: Granted, is a much more grounded setting than AOT, but the way it conveys humanity and all the problems we have as a species are presented in a spectacular fashion.

PS: Ymir being in love for 2000 years with the rapist that made her eat her children, only for her to find Mikasa as the woman that would show her how to cut loose from her love -for reasons/motivations that are never explained- is bad writting no matter how you slice it :russ:
Explain how you would've ended it.

They never depicted ymir as normal at all so I never expected anything normal to happen with her decision making, that didn't ruin the whole story or get me in my feelings like that on the rewatch :manny:

i can pick out a moment from damn near any story with questionable writing so what point are you trying to make? Post any story you think is goated and watch how easy it is to pick apart

I didn't say the shyt was perfect, I just don't hate it as much as I used to and alot of the older stuff didn't bother me at all either outside of Historia's role in this and the politics arc, neither of those were big enough to ruin the whole story for me tho.

Ircc didn't you and a few others agree that by the time the anime reached the ending we probably wouldn't care as much since we read it so long ago? Y'all in here salty like you just seen a long forgotten ex and ya got salty all over again

i like Vinland saga too :russ: that doesn't take anything away from AOT, it's literally just your preference, saying it's behind Vinland isn't a big deal because both are leagues ahead of most other storys in that regard, debating between #1 and #2 is a waste of time imo

Last edited: