One of mine is the Code Geass
Self Sacrificial character

Consumed

Superstar
Daps
yo what are your fav anime tropes?

Despair event horizons. A character loses hope because of some tragedy or impending doom and they make an impulsive decision that betrays their values. Occasionally it's a villians origin story as you see what drove them down that path.

I think Trigun handled this the best. YYH had that with Toguro and Sensui, who were both examples of what Yusuke could have become without the guidance around him.

Also like stock transformation sequences. shyt like G Gundam I can watch even today and smile.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
yo what are your fav anime tropes?

does man vs environment count? because a brutal ass world that doesn't give an inch is fukking dope

as soon as AoT left that theme for shenanigans it was the beginning of the end

TheGreatMTB

All Star
Daps
Despair event horizons. A character loses hope because of some tragedy or impending doom and they make an impulsive decision that betrays their values. Occasionally it's a villians origin story as you see what drove them down that path.

I think Trigun handled this the best. YYH had that with Toguro and Sensui, who were both examples of what Yusuke could have become without the guidance around him.

Also like stock transformation sequences. shyt like G Gundam I can watch even today and smile.
Despair Event Horizons are dope. I may be off a little bit on the trope, but I think Gohan's Super Saiyan 2 transformation is one of them. Where his pacifism conflicted with his rage and he completely snapped. To this day that's my favorite moment in Dragon Ball Z.

Even if I'm off a bit, I love watching characters get their values tested and whether they break them or not is fine as long as it makes sense.
does man vs environment count? because a brutal ass world that doesn't give an inch is fukking dope

as soon as AoT left that theme for shenanigans it was the beginning of the end
I'd say it counts. I think it's used pretty often in sci-fi/cyberpunk type anime where there's much to explore in the world. It's something I'd love to see more of. Living planets, dangerous plants and creatures, etc. Hunter x Hunter is one of my favorite anime and has a lot of potential in that regard.

AoT is interesting because almost every season feels different. There's a chance an anime fan could love any one season and feel 'meh' on the others.

Ahadi

Veteran
Daps
Any recs for HIDIVE? I always receive ads on my Roku and decided to give it a shot

Balla

Superstar
Daps
Akiba Maid War
Made in Abyss
Ahiru no Sora
Haven't You Heard? I'm Sakamoto
Akame Ga Kill!
Food Wars!
Urusei Yatsura
The Big O
Kaiij: Ultimate Survivor