MushroomX

Packers Stockholder
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wisconsin
:ohhh: So they take the brains of the dead, and put them in the Legion with their voices echoing out at the time of death? That's some crazy ass Mortal Kombat/Mass Effect 2 shyt. Also I have a feeling that Lena's dad was assassinated by his own family, or his own race by providing the location of where his Heli was going to be. He was too progressive. When a leader speaks, that leader dies.

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
-Themes of moving forward after tragedy strikes - life doesn't stop until you do, family being eternal, sacrificing for the betterment of others in the future, fulfilling your responsibilities until you're no longer able to, tend to strike pathos within viewers that identify with these messages and the characters that promote them.

-Takes place in a historical time period (Taisho era Japan). It's apparent that a lot of research went into translating elements of the era into the series. The Demon Corps unifroms they wear mirror uniforms of the soldiers at the time. The Mugen Train resembles a model of one of the first steam powered trains in Japan. The trip to Asukasa Japan has 1:1 parallels with images of the city, and so do the insides of homes that we see IIRC. Almost all the characters are wearing these stylish patterned Kimono and Haori's with accessories. The Japanese audience especially appreciates seeing a part of their culture acknowledged through animation, and others may appreciate seeing another culture through animation.

Most battle shounen are either modern day, so western influenced that it doesn't really feel like Japan or so fantastical that you can't really tell what the period is. So that makes DS fairly unique with a few exceptions (Gintama, Kenshin being some).

-Tanjiro is a decisive MC who doesn't hesitate to kill his enemies. No talk no jutsu. Just kill as his duties demand of him to do, then sympathize in the aftermath as they are fading away. He works hard, nice guy, not a glutton/dumbass/pervert. The other characters have their endearing traits as well, though that will vary depending on who you ask. Zenitsu for example is either unbearable or great comedic relief who shines in high stake situations. Nezuko is either irrelevant, or one of the best mascotts in anime today due to how she intersects kawaii culture with being fierce.

Even if Demon Slayer had less than GOAT tier animation, it would still be popular due to the above and some other stuff not listed.

Realizing Tanjiro wasn't the typical shonen MC was what locked me in DS. I don't know when it happened (maybe after Gurren Lagann) but I got to a point where I got snobby/impatient and I just can't take most of these shonen tropes anymore.

BlackXCL

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
t.
Brehs, is Tokyo Revengers worth it? What's it about/what kind of show is it?

Great animation is the biggest asset the show has. As other have said, if you are not feeling the show by that point, you are not gonna find a huge turning point that will make you change your mind. Unless bigger fights with dope animation are the answer you are looking for :heh:

Nikkas shytting on dragonball for bad writing and basic plots in that other thread, then praising this basic shyt :wow::mjlol:
Facts

shyt, If I had some of the expectations nikkas have in here, I would have prolly stopped watching anime years ago.

I couldn't imagine pausing the vcr to ask my pops, "So when does Fist of the North star" start to get good. The 1st 15 minutes of nikkas heads exploding just ain't doing it for me."

Theres levels man. I came into this expecting a whole series of Ninja Scroll esque quality. Instead I got ... A kid that cant stop talking when he fights, and a string :stopitslime:

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
Realizing Tanjiro wasn't the typical shonen MC was what locked me in DS. I don't know when it happened (maybe after Gurren Lagann) but I got to a point where I got snobby/impatient and I just can't take most of these shonen tropes anymore.

Tanjiro not being a moron who eats like an entre army is a breath of fresh air. But dude is impossibly perfect and such good soul it's hilariously cliché too, imo. He's still special for no real reason like any other shonen MC.

MushroomX

Packers Stockholder
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wisconsin
-Themes of moving forward after tragedy strikes - life doesn't stop until you do, family being eternal, sacrificing for the betterment of others in the future, fulfilling your responsibilities until you're no longer able to, tend to strike pathos within viewers that identify with these messages and the characters that promote them.

-Takes place in a historical time period (Taisho era Japan). It's apparent that a lot of research went into translating elements of the era into the series. The Demon Corps unifroms they wear mirror uniforms of the soldiers at the time. The Mugen Train resembles a model of one of the first steam powered trains in Japan. The trip to Asukasa Japan has 1:1 parallels with images of the city, and so do the insides of homes that we see IIRC. Almost all the characters are wearing these stylish patterned Kimono and Haori's with accessories. The Japanese audience especially appreciates seeing a part of their culture acknowledged through animation, and others may appreciate seeing another culture through animation.

Most battle shounen are either modern day, so western influenced that it doesn't really feel like Japan or so fantastical that you can't really tell what the period is. So that makes DS fairly unique with a few exceptions (Gintama, Kenshin being some).

-Tanjiro is a decisive MC who doesn't hesitate to kill his enemies. No talk no jutsu. Just kill as his duties demand of him to do, then sympathize in the aftermath as they are fading away. He works hard, nice guy, not a glutton/dumbass/pervert. The other characters have their endearing traits as well, though that will vary depending on who you ask. Zenitsu for example is either unbearable or great comedic relief who shines in high stake situations. Nezuko is either irrelevant, or one of the best mascotts in anime today due to how she intersects kawaii culture with being fierce.

Even if Demon Slayer had less than GOAT tier animation, it would still be popular due to the above and some other stuff not listed.

full
Kill you first. Then shed tears for tragic backstory. :mjgrin:

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
Fantastic episode. This show is honestly turning into one of my favorites this season alongside 86, Vivy, and Dragon Quest. I love how they deal with the dark moments appropriately.

I had a bad feeling about Yaguchi, but holy crap did they do a great job at making you hate his guts.

That scene between him and Yoshida really showed the difference between these 2 characters and what they stand for.

Asami a lot like Draken from Tokyo Avengers are people that everyone needs as friends. There are there to support and guide you when you are losing yourself.

Honestly this show continues to impress me.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Tokyo Revengers is worth it!! Watch the first 4 Eps......

Time travels with gangs. MC's ex girl been killed in a gang fight and now he goes back in time trying to prevent it.. but you know when you try to mess with time, a lot of fukkery happens.
Hopefully the MC stops always getting beat down.