LordDeathwatch

Valar Morghulis
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore, MD / Charlotte, NC
There was a point when I was anti-DBZ just to be it even though I had seen it 100000 times.

I feel like DBS can get the jokes whenever though.

Even if there are flaws, DBZ and DB are legit :smugdraper:

whenever you think of anime DBZ should be the first mention like Pac and Biggie are to rap.

As we all should.

But today's kids haven't even seen YYH. This why their opinions ain't shyt.

Since it's on Hulu now hopefully we new people are watching it every day.

:ohlawd::ohlawd::ohlawd: The power of streaming services helps keep these old series alive.

Your username prevents me from agreeing. :unimpressed:

Straw Hat Luffy

Veteran
Daps
Rewatched the first episode of season 4 of AOT.

Again, I haven't read the manga so I don't know what's going to happen so I have to avoid spoilers at all costs. I'm going to post what I thought in spoilers just in-case someone hasn't seen the episode yet.

What a journey. When this series first aired in 2013, I never expected we would go from Eren and the gang trying to find a solution to end these Titans, in order to live a normal life, to World War II with Titans used as weapons. That's a great thing about storytelling. You're able to have a simple story presented and as the story progresses it always grows into something complex, bigger, and better. Now I'm currently rewatching S2, and will S3 after; the reason I bring that up is because I have no idea, or least don't remember, how we got to this war lmao. I just remember Erwin Smith's great speech, thinking Armin died, the battle etc. Now I will either find the answer in my rewatch sesh or it will be explained in season 4. I bring this up because the last time I watched AoT in its entirety, Reiner and the gang were the bad guys. Season 4 opens the season with new characters on their side and it feels like we're supposed to resonate with those characters.

Sidenote: Imagine serving in WW2 but then add Titans on top of that. The PTSD that would give. :wow:

I'm always a big fan of these time skips when you've had a shyt ton of time to invest in the characters. For example, following One Piece so long and witnessing the crew grow up :mjcry::wow:.

What I'm never really a big fan of in time skips from storytelling is the introduction of new characters.
Time skips, sequels, prequels, or whatever. It's always hard for me to get behind so many new characters when I've grown attached to the OGs.
I always end up like :francis: Where is so and so?
It's why I refuse to watch Boruto. Sometimes I have a problem when Naoki Urasawa does it. I stopped watching the Walking Dead because of it. I could go on.

I don't know if these new characters have that much of an importance to the rest of the series or not. It could be one of those situations where they're all introduced as part of the time skip and then die or one of the characters will help Eren in the story, or the story is about them now. Guess I'll find out soon, huh?

Only character worth an impression was Gabby. The fact that she's so eager to do all this war shyt :russ::picard: Everyone else is stressed worrying about dying and she's having the time of her life.

It's wild how the people in this setting have advanced so far they have the proper technology to tear down even the strongest titans there are. Major progress from cutting the back of their necks to having tanks blow off half of their body.

I'm really excited for this season I can't wait to witness what all you manga readers have witnessed damn near a year ago. I also want to see all the old members again.

I hear the ending won't be included in the series finale but instead, we will get a movie. Is that correct?
Not even mad at that knowing what I know from the Neon Genesis Evangelion series + movie.
Dope ass series to end with a movie that has time and effort put into it might be what AOT deserves.

Consumed

Superstar
Daps
if YYH had as big a fanbase like DB, maybe we'd see more criticism of it. Seems like there's not enough people even interested enough to talk about it

It's got "problems" like the Three Kings arc being underwhelming outside of a few highlights

Yusuke's demon form and domination of Sensui being a ridiculous ass pull

Very little worldbuilding despite there being multiple high fantasy realms

Genkai's death being undermined by her revival a couple episodes later.

and Yusuke not being that creative in how he uses spirit and later demon energy. The concept of his powers felt underutilized.

Straw Hat Luffy

Veteran
Daps
if YYH had as big a fanbase like DB, maybe we'd see more criticism of it. Seems like there's not enough people even interested enough to talk about it

It's got "problems" like the Three Kings arc being underwhelming outside of a few highlights

and Yusuke not being that creative in how he uses spirit and later demon energy. The concept of his powers felt underutilized.
The Three Kings arc and lack of worldbuilding is brought up all the time in the YYH community.

The answer to that is always that Togashi wanted to end the series because of his health.

:manny:

Consumed

Superstar
Daps
The Three Kings arc and lack of worldbuilding is brought up all the time in the YYH community.

The answer to that is always that Togashi wanted to end the series because of his health.

:manny:

Well, the lack of worldbuilding in general isn't excused by his lack of health. That was lacking throughout YYH in contrast to HxH. but the three kings arc and the chapter black arc were definitely victim to his motivation/health problems.

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
I'm watching YYH for the first time now (roughly 40 eps in) and it's consistently good but it feels like it lacks that next level something. Though I can see where it influenced a lot of Shounen in ways different from what DBZ brought to the genre and it scores big because unlike a some of the big time Shounen the pacing here is excellent.

Straw Hat Luffy

Veteran
Daps
Well, the lack of worldbuilding in general isn't excused by his lack of health. That was lacking throughout YYH in contrast to HxH. but the three kings arc and the chapter black arc were definitely victim to his motivation/health problems.
Give me examples from HXH that provide better world-building.
It's not excused and YYH lack of world-building can be criticized. It's just pointed out that the criticism is there not because he lacked the talent to provide creative details but because he rushed the series to an ending. And it's the reason why a lot of people don't even discuss different scenarios.

It's the same reason why we've known about the Dark Continent in HxH but will never witness the arc/saga to its fullest.

Togashi has a GOAT mind for creating these stories but we will never see a full polished product of his fullest potential.

He won a ring and tore the Achilles and hasn't been the same since.

YYH can be criticized. But I won't do it.

I'm going to blindly follow that series and label it as the goat.

:mjlit:

I'm watching YYH for the first time now (roughly 40 eps in) and it's consistently good but it feels like it lacks that next level something. Though I can see where it influenced a lot of Shounen in ways different from what DBZ brought to the genre and it scores big because unlike a some of the big time Shounen the pacing here is excellent.

:unimpressed:

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
let it cook

LordDeathwatch

Valar Morghulis
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore, MD / Charlotte, NC
that's different :unimpressed:

Baseball-Player-Tries-To-Hold-In-The-Laughter-During-Zoom.gif

Kenny West

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL

People look at the legacies of HxH and YYH through rose tinted glasses. The fandom was pissed from how the series was ending and rushed disappointment that was th 3kinga arc. but HxH began not that long afterwards and everyone forgot.

Hxh gets shyt on for the hiatuses, lazy/ fugly drawing and filling pages with paragraphs of useless text to avoid drawing. But the 2nd adaptation got done by the geniuses at Madhouse so people forgot. :yeshrug:

There's are reason Togashi is the Vegeta to Oda/Toriyama's Goku. :wow: just doesnt have the heart all the way in the game