Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
@twan83 yo just finished heavens III...
pure crack rocks. Very satisfying conclusion. I'd say this trilogy was everything unlimited blade works was supposed to be.

It's like they felt unsatisfied with UBW and said fukk it, hard recton lol. Altho you do appreciate certain character moments and plot twists more if you watched UBW first. It actually made for the complete experience.

Consumed

Superstar
Daps
What shounen do you think had a strong start? I feel like a lot of shounen (more than other genres) start off pretty meh and then build/grow from there

Black Clover, as much as I praise that show in here, started off weak :yeshrug:I'll admit it
DBZ: Hear me out here. Considering they aired this before the ending of Dragon Ball in North America, and there was such a massive timeskip in the series, the beginning lowkey could have been clearer. They didn't give much context to whats going on. Even if you did watch Dragon Ball, you'd still be a little confused with Piccolo Jr. casually hanging around.
One Piece: It's Shanks stans in this thread so I'll leave it alone but y'all know what I want to say :mjpls:
Bleach: The first couple episodes of this show are amazing on their own (you could watch those exclusively and call it a day) but do a horrible job of showing what BLEACH will be during Soul Society arc and beyond.
Demon Slayer: First couple episodes are trash :snoop: I pulled a track 1 and walked out. It does get better but though.
HxH: A lot of brehs who come in here didn't even make it to the hunter exam without second guessing this show because of how it started. The new adaptation did a better job of introducing the characters but then omitted Kite. Considering the ant arc appears in the remake and not the original, this is even more unfortunate.
YYH: The first couple episodes are great but since you aren't as drawn into the characters at the beginning as you will be later, you won't appreciate these episodes as much until a second watch-through. If some of these types of episodes were placed later on, I think they would have way higher reception.

The shounen I think have stronger starts are generally shorter battle shounen or non-battle shounen
Kill La Kill starts of really strong and is shorter
Soul Eater also starts off strong and is shorter
The Promised Neverland probably has the GOAT intro of a shounen, and falls under non-battle shounen
Death Note is one of the best starter anime because it starts off strong and is non-battle.

The only long running shounen that are battle-centric that come out the gates strong is MHA and Zatch Bell.

What do brehs in this thread think?

Would agree non battle shounen tend to have better starts, because they aren't as concerned with build up and setting the stage for things. Of them Great Teacher Onizuka is my number one. 50 minutes long. Shows you everything Onizuka as a character is about, what he wants out of life and how he works until he achieves that dream.

One of the major themes of GTO is that education fails if students and teachers don't cooperate, there are many things that cause them to not be on the same page (both institutional and at the blame of individual bad apples, awful support systems). But if you can build that mutual respect between instructor and student then the sky is the limit. And Onizuka achieves that in episode 1 through unconventional means.

of the battle shounen, YYH is my #1. If it were standalone I'd still appreciate it for hitting on some life insecurities/depression that almost everyone goes through at some point - not feeling loved, not having outlets, not trusting anyone, no ambitions outside of what is forced onto you by an environment. I think he jumps in front of that car in part because he doesn't value his life and searching for something to validate his existence.

by the end of that episode Yusuke learns that he is loved by many people who are willing to help him, and that there is a path for himself if he's willing to commit to it. Then the rest of YYH is spent developing those relationships/furthering that career. learning about what it means to be a man with responsibilities and leaving behind his delinquency forever. It's a really great episode to me that is inseparable from what YYH is and later turns into.

Last edited:

Doctor Doom

Rest in peace, Akira Toriyama
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Latveria
Any brehs want to suggest me some Samurai anime? Haven't really touched anything related to it since OG Kenshin (and I never really finished that tbh)

Already watched Sword of the Stranger, and Afro Samurai.

LauderdaleBoss

#TunnelGang #RingGangRadio
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Lauderdale
Any brehs want to suggest me some Samurai anime? Haven't really touched anything related to it since OG Kenshin (and I never really finished that tbh)

Already watched Sword of the Stranger, and Afro Samurai.

Angolmois Record of Mongol Invasion

shyt is dope as fukk and its only 12 episodes. Pretty recent as well.

twan83

GOAT FATHER
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Texas
I should have dropped Kings Raid and I stand on 1 mil lives.
I’m just gonna finish 1 mil since I’m this far but man it’s not even meh it’s worse I thought it would be better going by the premise and first wanna say 3 episode but it just ain’t working for me at all
@twan83 yo just finished heavens III...
pure crack rocks. Very satisfying conclusion. I'd say this trilogy was everything unlimited blade works was supposed to be.

It's like they felt unsatisfied with UBW and said fukk it, hard recton lol. Altho you do appreciate certain character moments and plot twists more if you watched UBW first. It actually made for the complete experience.

kinda how I feel not to say ubw was bad but they made shiro a way better character in this for me and stronger resolve imo
Not sure which mc a better fit for him either cuz rin was on one for him on tv show tho
Sakura needed saving rightfully so and fits what he is in a sense where they both stubborn and need someone
Either way shyt was piff and will be bought

Black_Panther_JS

Superstar
Daps
What shounen do you think had a strong start? I feel like a lot of shounen (more than other genres) start off pretty meh and then build/grow from there

Black Clover, as much as I praise that show in here, started off weak :yeshrug:I'll admit it
DBZ: Hear me out here. Considering they aired this before the ending of Dragon Ball in North America, and there was such a massive timeskip in the series, the beginning lowkey could have been clearer. They didn't give much context to whats going on. Even if you did watch Dragon Ball, you'd still be a little confused with Piccolo Jr. casually hanging around.
One Piece: It's Shanks stans in this thread so I'll leave it alone but y'all know what I want to say :mjpls:
Bleach: The first couple episodes of this show are amazing on their own (you could watch those exclusively and call it a day) but do a horrible job of showing what BLEACH will be during Soul Society arc and beyond.
Demon Slayer: First couple episodes are trash :snoop: I pulled a track 1 and walked out. It does get better but though.
HxH: A lot of brehs who come in here didn't even make it to the hunter exam without second guessing this show because of how it started. The new adaptation did a better job of introducing the characters but then omitted Kite. Considering the ant arc appears in the remake and not the original, this is even more unfortunate.
YYH: The first couple episodes are great but since you aren't as drawn into the characters at the beginning as you will be later, you won't appreciate these episodes as much until a second watch-through. If some of these types of episodes were placed later on, I think they would have way higher reception.

The shounen I think have stronger starts are generally shorter battle shounen or non-battle shounen
Kill La Kill starts of really strong and is shorter
Soul Eater also starts off strong and is shorter
The Promised Neverland probably has the GOAT intro of a shounen, and falls under non-battle shounen
Death Note is one of the best starter anime because it starts off strong and is non-battle.

The only long running shounen that are battle-centric that come out the gates strong is MHA and Zatch Bell.

What do brehs in this thread think?

A lot of the older 1s start off “slow”. Probably cause they were aiming for long runs so there was no need to rush things. There’s a greater story they wanna tell.

You have to properly introduce the characters and setting and all that so people know everything they need to know or they won’t know what’s going on

Imagine if One Piece started with Luffy and Zoro on a boat and don’t explain how they met, the strawhat, devil fruits or none of that, people would be like :what: tf is going on

The axe murderer

For I am death and I ride on a pale horse
Daps
4mgrv1g95y161.jpg

Slic Ric

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Interesting topic/question

I believe most shounen fall into the issue of "monster of the week" which can be a bore to start off shows with as its their way of showcasing their characters. Some do it well, some dont

Saiyan Saga you can make a case for the best saga in Z