42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
Plenty of shyt is popular. There’s a difference between something being popular and it being both considered popular and the golden standard. Popularity itself doesn’t equate to quality but when large groups of people watch a series and it consistently finds its way to the top of rankings there’s a reason for that.

Brotherhood has its faults but it’s still the gold standard of anime adaptations. It takes one of the better manga series and with no filler goes through it all by one of the best animation studios in the business.
Large groups of people only got introduced to anime because of Toonami - and one of the most western paced, accessible, high quality shows during that period was FMA. That's basically a huge part of the success right there. I'm not even dissing its quality either. I'm saying I already know everything I need to know about the show to be done with it and I'm not gonna finish a run I dropped ages ago because its popular on popularity contest sites.

But to say its the best anime adaptation? You said that :gucci: and if the reasoning is popularity, then I disagree wholly
Absolutely true & ironic considering the journey you're embarking on. :wow:
You never know :skip: I rep Asta now after all

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Large groups of people only got introduced to anime because of Toonami - and one of the most western paced, accessible, high quality shows during that period was FMA.
Toonami in it's prime was Gundam Wing, Sailor Moon, Dragonball Z, Tenchi Muyo. FMA Brotherhood wasn't made in Toonami's prime or even when it had any major influence. At that point it was an offshoot of Adult Swim.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
Toonami in it's prime was Gundam Wing, Sailor Moon, Dragonball Z, Tenchi Muyo. FMA Brotherhood wasn't made in Toonami's prime or even when it had any major influence. At that point it was an offshoot of Adult Swim.
all of those were old as hell before they even aired. dafuq

FMA: B might've been the biggest anticipated 'new' release and follow up to an existing title to drop until that point.

now, after 3 tangents i'm done :gucci:

LordDeathwatch

Valar Morghulis
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore, MD / Charlotte, NC
fukk yo couch n*gga

tumblr_np2w8laaWx1tz9j5oo1_250.gifv

CouldBeWorse

Superstar
Daps
FMA Brotherhood isn't even the best FMA adaptation :dead:

The only reason it's ranked as high as it is because any shonen anime with better writing than dbz/Naruto gets hyped to infinity. Besides Knicks fans, no fanbase has lower standards than your average shonen anime fan.

It has a very solid case for the greatest anime ever made.
See?:pachaha:

Same goes for HunterxHunter 2011. The 1999 anime is so much better it hurts.

Last edited:

Kenny West

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
FMA Brotherhood isn't even the best FMA adaptation :dead:

The only reason it's ranked as high as it is because any shonen anime with better writing than dbz/Naruto gets hyped to infinity. Besides Knicks fans, no fanbase has lower standards than your average shonen anime fan.

See?:pachaha:

Same goes for HunterxHunter 2011. The 1999 anime is so much better it hurts.
Whats so much better about the 99 version? Outside of it not having that terrible Gon theme in the 11 version

shyt sounded like I was suddenly playing a kirby game

twan83

GOAT FATHER
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Texas
You got "Clannad" or "Clannad Afterstory" or both

Clannad is good but Afterstory is the 1 that is amazing

Afterstory is so sad man :mjcry: when I was watching it I felt tears coming down my face like :dwillhuh: am I crying?
I got the complete collection on sale at sentai film works for $19 :lolbron:
Trying to recall last anime that made me cry
I know
Golden time
Your lie in April
Naruto shippuden (jariaya death and itachi backstory and meet up)
Might be more but can’t recall

This season and last season are like the first time I started watching a lot of stuff weekly. I used to just binge everything unless it was a show I already loved, but now I'd rather watch stuff weekly and catch up on stuff on my watch list

A big positive to bingeing is you know what shows to avoid cause they're trash, I watch like 7 shows from this season that aren't that good or are ok :mjlol:
Ya I feel u especially when u can discuss things week to week too
I just make sure I ain’t got too much shyt to watch then I get annoyed
So I limit to what I watch usually
I’ll still put fire force on back burner till I finish another series cuz I got done with love is war s2 not too long ago
And I’m rewatching plastic memories right now cuz I don’t remember shyt :russ:
Bout to go thru made in abyss rewatch now then hit the movie up next since they said cam rip is good :mjlit:

CouldBeWorse

Superstar
Daps
Whats so much better about the 99 version? Outside of it not having that terrible Gon theme in the 11 version

shyt sounded like I was suddenly playing a kirby game
Let's look at one scene, Gon vs Hanzo

1999 has the stronger direction, storyboard, animation, art, art direction, background painting, atmosphere and pacing. It elevates the scene from the manga to a point that it's the definitive version. Like when Jimmy Hendrix covers a Bon Dylan song.

The 2011 version is lifeless, the story board is basically the manga panels, the lighting and art direction is devoid of any mood or atmosphere and the direction of the scene is way more 'generic' shonen in a way that the source material never strives to be.

I don't think the pre-chimera arc 2011 anime is even worth watching. Just read the manga or watch the 1999 anime.

The ant arch is where the 2011 anime excels, after the greed island production break, they really upped their game and actually started adapting shyt and gave the 2011 it's personality and direction. The ant arc is excellently adapted in the 2011 series.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Black Clover blew the whole budget on that fight for episode 93. Some of this animation on 94 is unacceptable.

Edit: reached episode 100. At the current quality rate I can see why people say this will probably surpass Naruto. Black Clover has consistently gotten better as time has gone on. Naruto got worse towards the end. If Black Clover sticks the landing it wins by default.

Last edited: