Bucciarati Joestar

Honorary Joestar
Daps
Reppin
M O R I O H @ Tdot.
Finished watching Paradise Kiss. Same creator as Nana. Similar themes of naive young adults searching for their place in a professional world. It has less drama and no character as flawed/thorough as Osaki N. but is every bit as authentic in the way relationships are portrayed and how convincing the characters feel. If you liked one then you would probably like the other.

the very best romances have characters who commit to their emotions rather than dance around the issue for 100 episodes or worse have nothing happen at all. You also want characters who build each other up in some way as positive reinforcement (or tear each other down, toxicity can make for good drama). This show had all of that, and it happened quickly. It's not an ecchi and shows nothing explicit. But it does have a sex scene, and off the top it's probably the best handled one in the genre. White Album 2, Utena for raw shock value, Kare Kano are close.

it has a unique approach to directing dialogue scenes that I've only ever seen in NGE. Instead of focusing on the faces of speakers the camera would be fixed on their surroundings and inanimate objects that separate them. Like a teapot in the center of a shared table that they'll pick up to pour a drink. You obviously know what the characters look like, and you can sense their emotion through the tones of their voices, so you're able to visualize their mannerisms during a conversation in a way that's more lively than what is usually shown in anime (mouths opening and shutting on repeat, very few frames and generally low effort animation).

It also chooses to not play OST's for the majority of the scenes. And when there is music the sound mixing makes the voices take clear priority. So low that it sounds like a dim radio in the background. Probably intended to convey the realism of environment since people obviously don't have on the go orchestras with them during moments of distress.

Maybe prisoner of the moment, but I think its a 10/10. Doesn't have the ridiculous lows of Nana, but for damn sure has the highs and actually concludes itself unlike the Nana anime.

yoo paradise kiss :ohlawd:....This takes me back.I read the manga when it first came out( I was too young to read it..) Later on, I watched the anime and loved it.. How come they don't make animes with stories and visuals like paradise kiss anymore? The ending was bittersweet but realistic.

Nana is still on-going...The mangaka has been on hiatus for over 10 years ;( I hate how authors like Togashi just lead us on and disappear.

You should check out Annarasumanara. Its a short webtoon that reminds me of Paradise Kiss, both stories involve MCs creating magic through their creation and also have a female lead who don't realize their dream until they meet a special person (george/magician).

tumblr_lvup5l7mRl1qzowy5o1_400.jpg

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
For my brehs following 8th son :patrice:

So far the show has been all about Well being forced into doing things he doesn't want to do. They're creating a monster, eventually he's gonna boss up and take this shyt into his own hands right? :patrice:

I havent read the manga or novel if there is one so I feel like I'm waiting for a plot twist that I don't know will ever come :pachaha:

Bucciarati Joestar

Honorary Joestar
Daps
Reppin
M O R I O H @ Tdot.
Akatsuki outfits are iconic.

nobody gives a fukk about kakuzu, kisame, Conan, zestu, anyone not nailed pain or itachi.

can’t be the most iconic villain group when nobody gives a fukk about 90% of the roster.

The only person i liked in the group was Deidara. He was so dedicated to his ART..The complex he had over the 'uchihas' had him pissed and killed. He should have won the fight vs sasuke...but of course sasuke had the plot armor no jutsu.

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
S2 of kaguya sama has been really good.. Such a great adaption.

That show is a masterpiece, people in this thread probably sleep though cuz it's a romance comedy

Show is crazy good. It is the rare adaptation that uses all the possible advantages of animation to strengthen the core material on screen.

Consumed

Superstar
Daps
yoo paradise kiss :ohlawd:....This takes me back.I read the manga when it first came out( I was too young to read it..) Later on, I watched the anime and loved it.. How come they don't make animes with stories and visuals like paradise kiss anymore? The ending was bittersweet but realistic.

Nana is still on-going...The mangaka has been on hiatus for over 10 years ;( I hate how authors like Togashi just lead us on and disappear.

You should check out Annarasumanara. Its a short webtoon that reminds me of Paradise Kiss, both stories involve MCs creating magic through their creation and also have a female lead who don't realize their dream until they meet a special person (george/magician).

tumblr_lvup5l7mRl1qzowy5o1_400.jpg

That picture even looks like George and Hikari. Will read it sooner than later.

I read some reaction threads to the ending and saw angry comments that X and X didn't end up together. They probably aren't looking for realism in their romances as most relationships don't work out and people tend to break up when their lives take different directions. didn't even feel sad about it when they'd already done so much to help further each others ambitions. They both have successful careers and are happy.

The only flaw in the ending imo is the timeskip; Yazawa could have added more nuance if she were so committed (I think she was working on Nana at the time). But the split itself was perfectly done and made sense for the characters involved. That scene where he hands her the key to the room full of all the dresses they designed wouldn't work unless the story ended the way it did.

Studios would rather adapt self insert ecchi harems than realistic romances, and most mangaka/VN writers can't create a convincing relationship if their lives depended on it. Shame about Yazawa's health since she's one of the few exceptions. Nana only has a little bit left in the story, so I'd like to think she can finish it someday. Togashi on the other hand is a lost hope, sucks to be a diehard HxH fan.

twan83

GOAT FATHER
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Texas
For my brehs following 8th son :patrice:

So far the show has been all about Well being forced into doing things he doesn't want to do. They're creating a monster, eventually he's gonna boss up and take this shyt into his own hands right? :patrice:

I havent read the manga or novel if there is one so I feel like I'm waiting for a plot twist that I don't know will ever come :pachaha:

Who knows his brother Kurt ain’t shyt tho

CouldBeWorse

Superstar
Daps
I was following Kaguya sama during the first season and it was entertaining and pretty funny. Never finished it but it's on my list.
I might start Kaguya tonight too. Not gonna lie, Violet Evergarden has had me shook of potentially feeling things again :mjcry: these writers trying to body people
Not that type of anime. Think Deathnote/Kaiji/Kakeguri but romantic comedy.