Went to see "The Hate U Give"...she got a White boy!

Emoryal

Superstar
Daps
On the same note however not totally related, seeing a Black NBA player spit in another Black NBA players face on national tv, where a bunch of White people can see it, looks like we as Black people have taken something to a different level, and I thought I'd never see anything like this, from two Black star athletes at that. This was good entertainment but wrong, according to White sports caster Max Kellerman. Good entertainment? Say What!. All I know is Back people better start coming to their senses, and I mean soon. That's all I can say to that for now.
fukk are you talking about. Conflict is a natural fukking interaction only white people associate it with race.And only black people with inferiority complexes talk about what two people, they dont know, embarassing them because of some stupid shyt al because they're black. If anything thinking that is a "problem" shows we cant even asess wtf a problem is.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
I shoulda listened to the coli :snoop:

This movie is so trash, and not just cuz of the swirling diary entries (I threw up a little in my mouth during that limo scene at the prom with this CaC on his "I don't see color" bullshyt and this wench eating it up), but also for that completely forced drug kingpin angle. Nothing about that storyline made sense, adding that nonsensical shyt to the movie just detracted spotlight being shined on the police. It essentially did the same thing the media does when the try to paint the victims of police brutality as criminals.

Mad I wasted my time with this bullshyt.
This was my critique of the film as well. The idiots on here got pissed at the the minor love story that they ignored the bigger fukk up. Cuz they stupid.

Daps
This was my critique of the film as well. The idiots on here got pissed at the the minor love story that they ignored the bigger fukk up. Cuz they stupid.

Yea it was way bigger.

The movie ended with the white cop never getting charged, but the drug lord finally getting locked up because residents finally spoke up, and that's what led to the rosy picture in Garden Heights before fading to black. This was essentially a big "what about Black-on-Black violence?" piece. :snoop:

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Yea it was way bigger.

The movie ended with the white cop never getting charged, but the drug lord finally getting locked up because residents finally spoke up, and that's what led to the rosy picture in Garden Heights before fading to black. This was essentially a big "what about Black-on-Black violence?" piece. :snoop:
yeah, the main protagonist antagonist was somehow the drug lord who had nothing to do with an unarmed young man being killed by a cop. It was kinda disgusting.

I was digging the movie until that was the conclusion.

Last edited:

Laidbackman

All Star
Daps
Reppin
ATL, but rasied in DMV
fukk are you talking about. Conflict is a natural fukking interaction only white people associate it with race.And only black people with inferiority complexes talk about what two people, they dont know, embarassing them because of some stupid shyt al because they're black. If anything thinking that is a "problem" shows we cant even asess wtf a problem is.
Get the fukk outta here

Laidbackman

All Star
Daps
Reppin
ATL, but rasied in DMV
Those saying it makes people look like idiots for highlighting the swirl factor must be out to lunch, or sleeping with White people, or both. No, focusing on that swirl thing doesn't make them idiots. That's usually the first sign that a movie is going to be full of some bs. Btw, you won't have no love story about a young brother all in love with becky, then telling a young sister he came up in the hood with, that becky got her spot after kissing the sister. Then she tells him, "That's cool, when you finish screwing becky, I'll be here"....lol. Then turns around and gets blasted by a becky cop...who walks. Sorry, but that wouldn't make it to Hollywood even if it was a minor love story like one of you claimed. It wouldn't even get funding. So the swirl factor must be a big deal after all, including to the ones who are taking your money and brainwashing you...duh. As a matter of fact, there would of never even been a book about ray ray and becky either, not a book any of you would have read. Knowing this, you shouldn't be surprised at the 1000 other fallacies in this film that surfaced throughout it.

But I'm going to point out the simp factor too for a minute, and ask why didn't anybody point out how much of a simp this young brother looked, practically telling a sister it was okay if she was fukking somebody else, or will be fukking somebody else soon, and that he will still be there for her when she's through. Again, if that was a sister telling a brother everything was still cool, while he was screwing somebody else, no sister would have gone to see the movie. And again, if it was becky, they wouldn't have even read the book. But that whole scene was bull, because in reality he would have been the first to find out she had a boyfriend, before it got like that. I had a little play girlfriend when I was in elementary school, who I just got back in touch with on facebook. I also had a real girlfriend, well sorta, who was from my block, who was about two years younger than me, who stayed in the house, and suddenly came outside on her bike one day when she was 14, with tiddies and ass like she was 20. I heard a few dudes tapped it about a year or two later. I tapped her when she was 16, and I was 17 going on 18. Because of the relationship I had with these girls coming up in high school, including my next door neighbor, who I knew since I was 13, and didn't tap because she was always overweight, all of them would have known if I was dealing with somebody by then, and I would have known by then if they were dealing with somebody, and way before we would of wounded up in a car late at night alone, unless we knew we were both available. That, or we would have had a brother/sister type relationship way beforehand, which they didn't appear to have in this movie, but perhaps should have had, instead of him trying to kiss her, then being told she had somebody. That probably would have gave a little more sense to this movie.

In other words, I've been in one too many situations like these two in the movie, and that shyt in the movie looked too fictional, while trying to make it look non-fictional. In fact, I never even heard of a situation like that, unless they actually were dating,which is rare enough. It usually wound up like a brother/sister relationship like I was saying. But it turned into something a little romantic in this movie, giving this trashy movie a reason to show a brother somehow getting rejected, where as in real life, he probably wouldn't have if they were feeling those kind of vibes. I know this just based on my own experience when I was around their age. And he wouldn't have been looked over for Wally Cleaver..lol. And if throwing Wally in there was done to make things look more modern, it failed. It appeared to be an attempt to show young sisters another option, like "Dear White People" tried.

So Gina passed over Martin and went for Wally?...lol. You can't make this stuff up. But evidently somebody did, and wrote a book and made a movie...and a lot of people bought it.

Last edited:

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps
I shoulda listened to the coli :snoop:

This movie is so trash, and not just cuz of the swirling diary entries (I threw up a little in my mouth during that limo scene at the prom with this CaC on his "I don't see color" bullshyt and this wench eating it up), but also for that completely forced drug kingpin angle. Nothing about that storyline made sense, adding that nonsensical shyt to the movie just detracted spotlight being shined on the police. It essentially did the same thing the media does when the try to paint the victims of police brutality as criminals.

Mad I wasted my time with this bullshyt.

Just finished watching it. Did so before reading this thread, but knew she had a white bf going into it. Both the premise of the thread and this critique are on point. It sucks, because despite feeling kind of long the movie did a good job in keeping my interest, yet ultimately it was just a pile of rubbish.

Along with Dope, and Dear White People these millennial movies are definitely missing the mark on putting out the proper imagery and messages that need to be promoted. It's funny since they always try to channel vibes from the 90's, which was about being unapologeticaly black. But these movies always seem to be pining for white acceptance.

Last edited:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
The movie had her going to a White school, but still living in the hood. So she couldn't find one Black brother in that White school? That doesn't seem like real life. I didn't see not one male Black student in that entire school. And most sisters going to White schools and still living in the hood, ain't dating no White boy. Black girls who do date them that early usually live around Whites as well.
In the book there's only one Black guy in her grade, and they overtly have the fight the stereotype all the White kids put on them that they should get together just because they're the only two Black kids in their class.

Another thing that sounded fake about this movie was, although her father was a former Black Panther and all, why would he be surprised and angry that his daughter started dating a White boy if she's the only Black kid in the entire school.
He wasn't a Black Panther, he was a former gangbanger who just stanned the Black Panthers (at least in the book). In the book he had to get her out of the hood because it was too dangerous for her to be there as his daughter was always going to be a target and the local school wasn't shyt for kids and just kept them in the gang, but he was trying to be the ultra-overprotective father who would keep her from dating at all, and he didn't even know about the White boy until way late.

Another thing that didn't add up was, why did the boy grab the hair brush in the first place? It wasn't like he said, "look baby, I'm combing my hair", which would have sounded fake enough.
That was a stupid change from the book, because in the book he never touches the hairbrush, he just begins to open the door and the cop claims after-the-fact that the hairbrush looked like a gun handle when it was just sitting inside the car door. I guess they had him grab it in the movie cause the explanation took too long for film.

Anyway, it appeared that the directors had to make the cop look half innocent.
Cop don't look innocent in the book AT ALL. He's pure guilty from beginning to end with no excuses.

SPOILER ALERT :
Even at the end when they had to draw the gun on the little boy, they still made it look like the officers almost had no choice. It's like they practically used the shooting death of 12 year old Tamir Rice, to show an example of how a cop have no choice but to kill a little Black kid. The more I think about this movie, the more I realize it was full of it.
That scene ain't even in the book at all.

smh...like I said, there's a reason the book was so loved and white folks wanted to make this into a movie. it never fails. the author should be ashamed of herself.
None of that stuff he was talking about was in the book at all.

Yea it was way bigger.

In the book that happens near the end but it is almost like an aside. The kingpin getting locked up is like a silver lining but the police violence is still the central cloud and it's responding to that violence that she's focused on all the way down to the final lines. It does not feel like a "rosy" ending at all, but she's empowered because she's going to keep speaking up against those cops.

I had some problems with the book, but it sounds like the problems people having with the movie are completely different.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
But I'm going to point out the simp factor too for a minute, and ask why didn't anybody point out how much of a simp this young brother looked, practically telling a sister it was okay if she was fukking somebody else, or will be fukking somebody else soon, and that he will still be there for her when she's through. Again, if that was a sister telling a brother everything was still cool, while he was screwing somebody else, no sister would have gone to see the movie. And again, if it was becky, they wouldn't have even read the book. But that whole scene was bull, because in reality he would have been the first to find out she had a boyfriend, before it got like that.
In the book they haven't even seen each other in like a year until the night he got shot. The whole point was that she had totally lost touch with that side of her life. So there's no way he would have known at all.

all of them would have known if I was dealing with somebody by then, and I would have known by then if they were dealing with somebody, and way before we would of wounded up in a car late at night alone, unless we knew we were both available. That, or we would have had a brother/sister type relationship way beforehand, which they didn't appear to have in this movie, but perhaps should have had, instead of him trying to kiss her, then being told she had somebody. That probably would have gave a little more sense to this movie.
In the book they end up in the car together because a fight broke out at a party and someone pulled a piece and they ran. It wasn't planned at all. And in the book he don't try to kiss, he just flirts a little. It's made out like they really had a super tight brother/sister-type relationship growing up, but had both always wanted it to be more just neither had ever pulled the trigger and then life circumstances caused their lives to drift apart.

So Gina passed over Martin and went for Wally?...lol. You can't make this stuff up. But evidently somebody did, and wrote a book and made a movie...and a lot of people bought it.
In the book she never passes over the brother, she crushes on him and doesn't know he feels the same way. When she gets with the white guy it's because there aren't any black guys in her life at all.

In other words, I've been in one too many situations like these two in the movie, and that shyt in the movie looked too fictional, while trying to make it look non-fictional.
The book does strain a ton and it doesn't read very realistic.

Laidbackman

All Star
Daps
Reppin
ATL, but rasied in DMV
In the book they haven't even seen each other in like a year until the night he got shot. The whole point was that she had totally lost touch with that side of her life. So there's no way he would have known at all.

In the book they end up in the car together because a fight broke out at a party and someone pulled a piece and they ran. It wasn't planned at all. And in the book he don't try to kiss, he just flirts a little. It's made out like they really had a super tight brother/sister-type relationship growing up, but had both always wanted it to be more just neither had ever pulled the trigger and then life circumstances caused their lives to drift apart.

In the book she never passes over the brother, she crushes on him and doesn't know he feels the same way. When she gets with the white guy it's because there aren't any black guys in her life at all.

The book does strain a ton and it doesn't read very realistic.
Your replies are way to late, plus this movie is history as far as I'm concerned.

Daps
Reppin
St louis
expect a white boy to be her love interest
in every movie.
I dont fukk with nothing she's in.
:ehh:

wat6rr.jpg

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Your replies are way to late, plus this movie is history as far as I'm concerned.

Breh, the movie only came out last year or something. :heh:

I haven't even seen the movie, only just now read the book. Read it to see whether or not it was the sort of thing I should recommend to kids, then came on here to see what the takes were.