We May Have Our Black Panther Director Brehs (Coogler finally confirmed!)

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
5/14/15 Update:

Report comes on the heels of Famuyiwa's success at the Sundance Film Festival earlier this year.

Original Post:

Marvel is reportedly courting Ava DuVernay to direct one of its Phase 3 movies.

According to The Wrap, which broke the news, multiple sources have suggested that the director will helm Black Panther, due to open July 2018.

DuVernay is best known for last year's historical drama Selma, which debuted to great critical acclaim. Her previous work includes the independent features I Will Follow (2012) and Middle of Nowhere (2012). The latter nabbed her the Best Director award at 2012's Sundance Film Festival.

The Wrap notes that Marvel Studios is consciously seeking out an African-American director for Black Panther, which is set to star Chadwick Boseman as the eponymous hero. If DuVernay lands the gig, it will also mark the first time a woman has helmed a Marvel movie, following the departure of Patty Jenkins during production of Thor: The Dark World.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/05...selma-director-ava-duvernay-for-phase-3-movie

Selma was one of the best movies I've seen in the past couple of years. I think she could do T'Challa justice and bring BLACK EXCELLENCE TO MCU

Last edited by a moderator:

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Intriguing choice if they pick her. Haven't seen Selma but heard good things about it. Any other movies she's made that were well-received?

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Hope she's good at doing action.

We don't need another Ang Lee incident.

The Russo Brothers, who did Winter Soldier, had no action experience prior to working on that film and it's widely viewed as the best movie currently in the MCU. I think she could do a fantastic job with the character and do him proper justice

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Just get Antoine Fuqua if you're going for a black director. Female directors doing action movies :camby:

bigelow is the only exception and I only give her props for Point Break

Fuqua is probably too Big of a "name" right now for an MCU a movie plus his schedule is current,y full, he's shooting the Magnificent Seven remake with Denzel right now and then after that he's got the sequel to The Equalizer.

Fuqua would more than likely want, what the studio would consider too much control, they've already thrown 2 directors straight to the bushes and Whedon got so burnt out he quit

GunRanger

Veteran
Daps
I just know they're going to make this whack.

DC would nail a Black Panther movie.

c00ns already assuming it's not gonna be good enough or she might get picked because she's black :shaq2:
That's exactly why. It's hollywood, so they think this is being progressive. they chose a woman to direct Wonder Woman. A woman who hasnt directed in 12 years:pachaha: