WE KNOW! Tyler Perry: 'I Have No Writers Room. Nobody Writes Any of My Work.

Dameon Farrow

Superstar
Daps
Community : We need more of our own studios so we can have a collective outlet for our talents.

Also Community : That nikka started his own shyt he don't owe ya'll nothing.

I'm sure all of this will change in the future and he's just getting his footing.:francis:

Give him time fellas.:wow::troll:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Tyler Perry: 'I Have No Writers Room. Nobody Writes Any of My Work.'
Screen_Shot_2015-08-07_at_12.31.49_PM_qeersg.jpg

BYTRACE WILLIAM COWEN

Trace William Cowen is a writer based in Los Angeles. He tweets with dramatic irregularity here.

JAN 07, 2020

Image via Getty/Prince Williams/Wireimage
Tyler Perry wants everyone to know he doesn't utilize the common industry practice of writers rooms, which of course provide a rewarding creative atmosphere wherein even the most singular of writing voices can tap into the power of collaborative support.

"So, I don't know if you know this, but all shows on television have a writers room," Perry said in an Instagram and Twitter-shared video showing a stack of scripts."And, most of the time, there are 10 people or 12 or whatever that write on these television shows. Well, I have no writers room. Nobody writes any of my work. I write it all. Why am I telling you this? I wrote all of these scripts by myself in 2019. Work ethic!"

While some found this to be an inspirational bit of info from the Haves and the Have Nots creator, others took a more critical tone, pointing out the power that Perry boasts when it comes to potentially hiring burgeoning writers. The very idea of the writers room and its importance in the traditional TV structure was also noted by a number of people, many of whom are themselves writers:

Perry's Oprah Winfrey Network series, the aforementioned Haves and Have Nots, returns to TV for its seventh season on Tuesday. Later this month, the first Perry movie to be released by Netflix will be available. Titled A Fall From Grace, the Perry-helmed drama stars Crystal Fox and Phylicia Rashad.

Tyler Perry: 'I Have No Writers Room. Nobody Writes Any of My Work.'

Don't use the word "haters" often, but the criticism about him being the sole writer is Hater-ism.

He doesn't have to share writer credit, deal with unions or worry about lawsuits.

This man started from the bottom, no rich parents, no connections, no training, not even growing up in a big media market with access to getting into the entertainment industry.

He doesn't owe anybody ANYTHING, and especially not some writers. Create your own small projects, stop begging millionaires to throw you a lifeline. (and I'm saying this as a guy who did some writing before)

I'm not a fan of his work, and the little I've seen is shytty. His audience fukks with it, they support him and will continue to. That's what matters. Don't fix what's not broken.

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN
Don't use the word "haters" often, but the criticism about him being the sole writer is Hater-ism.

He doesn't have to share writer credit, deal with unions or worry about lawsuits.

This man started from the bottom, no rich parents, no connections, no training, not even growing up in a big media market with access to getting into the entertainment industry.

He doesn't owe anybody ANYTHING, and especially not some writers. Create your own small projects, stop begging millionaires to throw you a lifeline. (and I'm saying this as a guy who did some writing before)

I'm not a fan of his work, and the little I've seen is shytty. His audience fukks with it, they support him and will continue to. That's what matters. Don't fix what's not broken.

then he needs to take his halo off, he needs to stop patting himself on the back as somebody to look up to and admire, a beacon of hope and goodwill.

He's a hustler who hoards his wealth and wants all the glory for himself.

one thing i will say about 50 cent, is that he doesn't sit around trying to pretend like he's NOT an a$$hole, he knows who he is and people accept him for it

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
then he needs to take his halo off, he needs to stop patting himself on the back as somebody to look up to and admire, a beacon of hope and goodwill.

He's a hustler who hoards his wealth and wants all the glory for himself.

one thing i will say about 50 cent, is that he doesn't sit around trying to pretend like he's NOT an a$$hole, he knows who he is and people accept him for it

H2PC.gif

yes, he hoards his wealth by EMPLOYING Black actors,actresses,stage designers,carpenters,construction companies, wardrobe people,cameramen, lighting crews production assistants, line editors,etc EVERY SINGLE DAY OF THE YEAR in his studios.

stop it.

Last edited:

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN
H2PC.gif

yes, he hoards his wealth by EMPLOYING Black actors,actresses,stage designers,carpenters,construction companies, wardrobe people,cameramen, lighting crews production assistants, line editors,etc EVERY SINGLE DAY OF THE YEAR in his studios.

stop it.

Well first off this is a long running myth, a lot of people tyler perry hires behind the scenes are not black, many are, but he ain't running MOTOWN 2.0 over there :comeon:

He also runs a very tight ship - the people who work on his movies, also work on his TV shows; DP's, Lighting, Sound Mixers etc etc....

the message is clear - if you are an up and coming black creative, you may wanna look elsewhere for work :manny:

FocusedDaily

Chi-town's Hero
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South-side Chi
I hope he gets destroyed for this. This is part of the reason why he is constantly producing dog shyt films/tv shows. The man built his OWN studio and instead of hiring some of the best black screenwriters in the world to produce great black content, he writers drivel and essentially, blocks great black creators from having their voices heard.

I thought that was the whole point of this man opening his studio... to provide those opportunities but I guess if he opened up those writer rooms, he’d get questioned on his c00nery and stereotypical tropes on black life :francis:

HOw is he blocking anybody from doing anything tho ? I agree that his material would probably be better with additional input, but there's nothing inherently wrong with wanting to write what he's going to produce. He's still hiring hundreds of people to film and act in them. If someone writes a good show and gets it in front of him, then maybe he or someone else will decide to make it.

But if he pulls an idea out of his own A$$ and wants to make it with his own money, he doesn't HAVE to get help if he doesn't want it. He prob needs it tho

Jimmy Two-Times™

Coli Mods Catch Me If U Can Forgive Me Imma Ridah™
Daps
Reppin
Peckham™ Come Get Me!
He produces light hearted comedy or dramedy. If you go to see his stuff and expect different then you'll feel slighted. Also, young white people are not his audience so I can see why most posters in this thread don't like his material.

Always hating on the most successful people.

LauderdaleBoss

#TunnelGang #RingGangRadio
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Lauderdale
Egotistical nikkas that do everything themselves and make trash always patting themselves on the back with that hustle shyt :mjlol:

It's like waking up at 4am to bake bland ass cookies that you only sell a quarter of the amount of everyday at the flea market. Your'e not some fukking hustle genius. That just means you found some people that are loyal to your trash ass standard.

Doing everything yourself is only admired when that shyt comes out dope and even that has a ceiling, but :manny:

Superstar
Daps
This has nothing to do with a handout, Tyler Perry is simply a bad writer. I have sat through a lot of his shows and they are awful.

Him being successful doesn't = a good writer

I am happy that he has seen success but I do hope that he increases his quality by hiring writers who can write well

Rell Lauren

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NYC
problem is "bad" is in the eyes of the beholder. His fans don't think his shyt is bad and that's all that matters. It's been 20 years. Cats need to get over it and stop being mad. While I agree that his writing needs "some work" at times, it works for him and his fans.

and the fact he employs and give chances to mad nikkaz is why I'll always support dude. Cacs can make "bad" shyt all they want and you don't see nearly the hate as you see with nikkaz doing the same.

What am I mad at? His content is terrible. I don't support bad stuff period.

pete clemenza

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cali
as a writer myself. I can see why tyler doesn't want to do it. They are his characters and stories. adding other writers introduces elements and agendas that you never meant for your stories.
As a businessman, I can see that tyler will eventually have to hire writers. what's going to happen if he can't write because he's busy, sick, etc? He needs to just groom some young writers in some 20's so they'll be faithful to the brand in the future.
No he has his own studio so he can do his own regular tropes, Madeas, etc and then do some other projects with other writers and producers and it all will still all under the Tyler Perry studios and productions umbrella. He can do all his characters and them to himself but since he has a studio he can branch out into other different stories with other writers, producers, and directors as well.That's all Jordan Peele is doing but he doesn't have his own studio like Tyler does. He could be the new Warner Bros or Paramount if he wanted to.