WE KNOW! Tyler Perry: 'I Have No Writers Room. Nobody Writes Any of My Work.

Doobie Doo

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh, NC
Tyler Perry: 'I Have No Writers Room. Nobody Writes Any of My Work.'
Screen_Shot_2015-08-07_at_12.31.49_PM_qeersg.jpg

BYTRACE WILLIAM COWEN

Trace William Cowen is a writer based in Los Angeles. He tweets with dramatic irregularity here.

JAN 07, 2020

Image via Getty/Prince Williams/Wireimage
Tyler Perry wants everyone to know he doesn't utilize the common industry practice of writers rooms, which of course provide a rewarding creative atmosphere wherein even the most singular of writing voices can tap into the power of collaborative support.

"So, I don't know if you know this, but all shows on television have a writers room," Perry said in an Instagram and Twitter-shared video showing a stack of scripts."And, most of the time, there are 10 people or 12 or whatever that write on these television shows. Well, I have no writers room. Nobody writes any of my work. I write it all. Why am I telling you this? I wrote all of these scripts by myself in 2019. Work ethic!"

While some found this to be an inspirational bit of info from the Haves and the Have Nots creator, others took a more critical tone, pointing out the power that Perry boasts when it comes to potentially hiring burgeoning writers. The very idea of the writers room and its importance in the traditional TV structure was also noted by a number of people, many of whom are themselves writers:

Perry's Oprah Winfrey Network series, the aforementioned Haves and Have Nots, returns to TV for its seventh season on Tuesday. Later this month, the first Perry movie to be released by Netflix will be available. Titled A Fall From Grace, the Perry-helmed drama stars Crystal Fox and Phylicia Rashad.

Tyler Perry: 'I Have No Writers Room. Nobody Writes Any of My Work.'

Address_Unknown

Jesus Loves you...Your Cat doesn't. {#Dogset}
Daps
Wasn't he "Exposed" for firing his writers when they wanted to unionize on him or some shyt 'cause he didn't want to pay them or some shyt before he patented his tried and true formula for them Madea movies? :mjlol: He got a template that he sticks to without venturing out of that shyt; fukk would you need writers for after you done created a successful blueprint?

Doobie Doo

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh, NC
I agree with the last tweet from South African woman. If you write, then write and produce your own stuff. Thee end.

He’s an auteur not simply a producer.

Breh, not having a writers when you operate so many movies and shows is BULLshyt. I don't care what you accomplished you cannot do this biz without help. His movies suck, his tv shows suck. They generate revenue but you got damn near a billion and can't help out your brothers & sisters in ATL get they feet wet in this biz with a few writing jobs that increase your art as well? Then wtf are we supporting if TP studios isn't supporting the community that supports him? Empowerment is also about empowering your bros & sis behinds the lens.