We gotta talk about February

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Yeah, for people who actually play games, this is stupid. The lower profile games on that list like Sifu should get delayed, it doesn't matter if Elden Ring or Horizon isn't the same type of game, it'll affect sales. People interested in Elden Ring and Sifu like myself are going to pick Elden Ring over it 10 times out of 10.

I hope they move HFW up a week and sifu out of feb.

I think they are gonna announce more stuff also, theres some early 2022 games without dates that I’m looking forward to like Stray and Metal Slug Tactics.

Triangle Strategy comes out a week after Elden ring

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
Ehh. That lineup is overrated.

Actually, nearly any "X month is PACKED" is usually bullshyt, since the releases typically vary in genre/audience.

I mean, the odds of King of Fighters making noise outside of the section of the FGC that fukks with SNK fighters is incredibly slim. They're for a niche market inside of a niche market.

That said, I'm probably just picking up Sifu and Witch Queen.

It doesn't really matter if a game has a niche audience or is a different genre, sales will be affected if bigger games are coming out in too close of a timeframe.

There will be a ton of people interested in Sifu/KOF but will decide not to buy them at full price or at all because they know Horizon/Elden Ring is coming out. For every 100 that decides to do that, maybe 5 of 100 would get all of them, and maybe 1 would get the niche game like yourself.

They need to delay that shyt to a time where nothing is coming out. Hitman 3 sold well cuz there was literally nothing going on when it came out.

Meh

Imma check for horizon but the last game was decent with potential.

Elden ring imma buy but maybe wait for a sale

sifu- free game on ps+ status

the rest ain’t my cup of tea

This post alone is an example of what I mean, I bet 80% of gamers feel this way. Mild interest in a game like Sifu, which might actually be a GREAT game, but since bigger games are dropping, might as well wait on a sale or see if it becomes free someday.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
It doesn't really matter if a game has a niche audience or is a different genre, sales will be affected if bigger games are coming out in too close of a timeframe.

There will be a ton of people interested in Sifu/KOF but will decide not to buy them at full price or at all because they know Horizon/Elden Ring is coming out. For every 100 that decides to do that, maybe 5 of 100 would get all of them, and maybe 1 would get the niche game like yourself.

They need to delay that shyt to a time where nothing is coming out. Hitman 3 sold well cuz there was literally nothing going on when it came out.

This post alone is an example of what I mean, I bet 80% of gamers feel this way. Mild interest in a game like Sifu, which might actually be a GREAT game, but since bigger games are dropping, might as well wait on a sale or see if it becomes free someday.

Yeah, its tough for someone like me thats 100% buying HFW and 100% buying Elden ring, those are like my top two most anticipated games next year next to FF16, Forspoken, GoW.

In any other situation Sifu is a day one purchase but sandwiched inbetween two potential GOTY tier games? Ouch, and it’s not like this past month where the games are like 10-15 hours long.

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

But the argument that a game won't sell because other games are out also assumes that everyone is required to be interested in every game equally, though. There are people who aren't going to buy Sifu because they're just not into that type of game, not because Elden Ring, or Horizon, or Destiny, or other games of other genres.

I think there's enough space for all of these games to do just fine, since there's enough variety in all those releases that they're not truly cannibalizing each other's audiences.

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
But the argument that a game won't sell because other games are out also assumes that everyone is required to be interested in every game equally, though. There are people who aren't going to buy Sifu because they're just not into that type of game, not because Elden Ring, or Horizon, or Destiny, or other games of other genres.

I think there's enough space for all of these games to do just fine, since there's enough variety in all those releases that they're not truly cannibalizing each other's audiences.

We're not talking that about the people who have zero interest in Sifu though. Those people were never going to buy it. We're talking about capturing every possible sale.

I'm willing to bet that 90% of the people who are interested in Sifu are also interested in either Horizon or Elden Ring, and if they are frugal, they'll likely take the bigger and more robust game. It WILL affect sales. Plus you gotta think about how games are marketed now, you think streamers are going to stream Sifu over Elden Ring? Who the fukk is going to play Saints Row over Horizon? Both games cost $70.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY

Those destiny, horizon, Elden ring, saints row, maybe even dying light 2 (comes out a little earlier) cast a wide net. Most people buying anyone of those games probably just aren’t gonna buy more tha one game in that time period.

There’s also the marketing blitz that horizon forbidden west and Elden ring will cause. Whether its controversy, accolades, previews, reviews, whatever. Sifu will release while people are in the middle of playing Horizon while Destiny and Elden Ring are dropping reviews

Sifu is a game that needed a good week to itself like Kena got.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
We're not talking that about the people who have zero interest in Sifu though. Those people were never going to buy it. We're talking about capturing every possible sale.

I'm willing to bet that 90% of the people who are interested in Sifu are also interested in either Horizon or Elden Ring, and if they are frugal, they'll likely take the bigger and more robust game. It WILL affect sales. Plus you gotta think about how games are marketed now, you think streamers are going to stream Sifu over Elden Ring? Who the fukk is going to play Saints Row over Horizon? Both games cost $70.

If they're broke, they might take the cheaper game first until the big dogs go on sale. The big games go on sale faster than ever nowadays.

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
If they're broke, they might take the cheaper game first until the big dogs go on sale. The big games go on sale faster than ever nowadays.

Depends on who made the game. Ubisoft is developing a reputation for doing this but Sony and From Software, not so much.

Meanwhile I expect something like Saints Row to be 29.99 by April