• Dap
Reactions: Rev

Pack2

..Pack2..
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Can't link to it right now but it's coming down to Spags and Dennis Allen. They informed Pepper that they're going in a different direction
I was literally clicking through this page looking for an update on this.

Wish we could bring Pepper on in some capacity though...sentimental reasons for me really

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I was literally clicking through this page looking for an update on this.

Wish we could bring Pepper on in some capacity though...sentimental reasons for me really

I think the best thing would be if the new guy brings him in but in my mind, they already made a choice. Why would you hire a new DB coach without a new coordinator in place? In theory, the coordinator is signing off on the DB coach

Albert Breer of NFL Network tweeted earlier Thursday that candidates are expecting an answer this week. With the NFL's desire not to distract attention from this weekend's AFC and NFC Championship games it would be surprising if a decision is not announced this afternoon.

Pack2

..Pack2..
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
I think the best thing would be if the new guy brings him in but in my mind, they already made a choice. Why would you hire a new DB coach without a new coordinator in place? In theory, the coordinator is signing off on the DB coach
Yeah thats what I was saying too...why sign the DB Coach without input from the DC? Makes me think they know who has the job already like you said

Mr. Jack Napier

#MambaForever
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Empire State
It's official brehs, Spags is back

The New York Giants have selected Steve Spagnuolo as their new defensive coordinator, reuniting him with the team he helped win Super Bowl XLII while serving in that role from 2007-08.

Spagnuolo, 55, replaces Perry Fewell, who was the Giants' defensive coordinator for the past five years but was fired last week after a 6-10 season in which the Giants finished 29th in total defense.

"I was hoping to take the next step, God willing, and be a coordinator again. I'm ecstatic that it's with Tom Coughlin," Spagnuolo said. "Tom is the highest character guy I know. The feeling I have is one of excitement. We're going to work our butts off, and hopefully we will do great things together."

The Giants also interviewed formerOakland Raiders head coach Dennis Allen, former Tampa Bay Buccaneers head coach Raheem Morris, who is currently the defensive backs coach for the Washington Redskins, and former Giants linebacker Pepper Johnson for the position in the past week.

"We spoke to a lot of very good candidates," Coughlin said. "The energy, enthusiasm and strong personality that we saw before in Steve Spagnuolo, all of that was very evident again. His desire to be a Giant again was very, very obvious."

In the end, though, they went with Spagnuolo, who was their defensive coordinator for two years in 2007 and 2008 before moving on to unsuccessful stints as head coach of the St. Louis Rams and defensive coordinator of the New Orleans Saints.

His first Giants defense helped deliver the franchise's third Super Bowl title, as a pass rush that featured Hall of Famer Michael Strahan upset an undefeated New England Patriots team in Super Bowl XLII.

In his one season in New Orleans, 2012, the Saints' defense set an NFL record for yards allowed.

The Giants also hired Tim Walton as their new cornerbacks coach. Walton was the defensive coordinator for the Rams in 2013.

Spagnuolo has spent the past two years as a defensive assistant with the Baltimore Ravens.

He joined the Ravens in 2013 as a senior defensive assistant and was named assistant head coach/secondary coach before last season. Injuries and ineffective play in the secondary led to the Ravens finishing No. 23 in pass defense this season.

The Ravens will have their third secondary coach in three seasons. Before Spagnuole's one-year stint, Teryl Austin was the Ravens' secondary coach for three years (2011-13) before becoming the Detroit Lions' defensive coordinator.

The secondary will be a major point of emphasis for the Ravens after the pass defense finished No. 24 in the NFL and gave up the most passing yards in franchise history.

Ravens coach John Harbaugh can only hope this is the only change to his coaching staff. TheDenver Broncos have requested permission to interview offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak for their head coach opening. If Kubiak leaves, quarterbacks coach Rick Dennison and tight ends coach Brian Pariani are expected to go with him.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/sto...returns-new-york-giants-defensive-coordinator