"...we are just running at a f*cking wall, I think, and we're gonna crash on that wall really soon" - CDPR on 'AAA' RPG's

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps

Recent PC Gamer editorial "The cinematic BioWare-style RPG is dead, it just doesn't know it yet" caused quite "a commotion" between the lead designers at developer CD Projekt Red, Cyberpunk 2077 quest director Paweł Sasko said in a recent PC Gamer roundtable interview(opens in new tab). "Everyone actually, after reading this article, said: we mostly agree, actually, with the thesis. At least when it comes to triple-A, we are just running at a fukking wall, I think, and we're gonna crash on that wall really soon."

Sasko's comments above kicked off a discussion on the technology behind today's big-budget games and the expectations players have for them. The "wall" Sasko referred to is the ballooning complexity and expense of making games like Cyberpunk 2077. Before it released, I think it's safe to say many RPG players assumed that if CD Projekt had done such a fantastic job with The Witcher 3, it should be able to do the same with Cyberpunk.

But Cyberpunk's more immersive first-person presentation ended up making it a vastly more difficult game to build in ways that aren't obvious to most players.

The triple-A crisis​

"Witcher 3 has so many fukking tricks," Sasko said, explaining one in particular—the way it would often cut to black to stage scenes or transition between bits of a quest, letting the developers spawn or despawn objects, and change the weather or time of day. "Sometimes there's a scene of a guy behind a bar, and he's like, submerged waist-up to the terrain because we didn't have animation. So he's just sitting there. But he looks perfectly fine in that scene, and it looks like he actually matches and everything works.

"Then you look at Cyberpunk. No cuts, no black screens, you're 'in' V all the time. Staging is in-person. It got so incredibly more expensive to generate branches. Adding branches to Witcher 3 was so easy in comparison to Cyberpunk. This article really sparked that discussion."

CD Projekt's designers felt strongly that the "no-cuts" first-person perspective was important for the game, but Pawel said they need to find a solution for "scalability of narrative: you want your story to be long, but also be broad, so we try to provide all the branches and choices and consequences." Doing that with their current tools requires an enormous budget. Disco Elysium, he pointed to as a contrast, was able to add narrative branches incredibly cheaply, thanks to the text-heavy, top-down presentation.

Former Dragon Age creative director Mike Laidlaw said the primary challenge, to him, is controlling player expectations. "As soon as you're delivering something that starts to be cinematic, you then are essentially inviting comparison to the most cinematic things. So you are kind of keeping pace with Naughty Dog or Cyberpunk," he said. Laidlaw witnessed the rise of cinematic RPGs firsthand at BioWare, and said that while working on games like Jade Empire and Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, they had simple tools for quickly creating most conversations.

"We would drag a stage into a level and that essentially had lights and cameras and a set of animations and stuff. That became a tool that we could use to put a symbol to a conversation. We would call those 'bronze' conversations, but a 'gold' conversation would be, we'd put some art on it. You get someone to do slow zooms, rotates, and Dutch angles and everything. And you had to budget those, so we would very consciously be looking at our scenes and going 'well how many golds can we afford?'"

"I do think what you guys tackled with Cyberpunk was so phenomenally aggressive and I'm terrified at what that must have done to all of you," Laidlaw said, bringing it back to Sasko's comments. "It was like the unbroken perspective of Half-Life 2 but with all the branching and stuff from all your titles. It was a phenomenal achievement, I think, but I imagine expensive in a deeply personal level on top of the money."

What about procedural generation?​

Laidlaw mentioned Wildermyth as an example of a game that effectively used procedural narrative, pointing out it should be possible to build tools that allow for more effective (and cheaper) procedural storytelling.

"I think we are on the precipice of really figuring out procedural narrative," said Strix Beltran, the narrative director of Hidden Path Entertainment's upcoming D&D RPG. "We haven't done it yet. But there are a lot of people working on it. And I think that is going to be a game-changer."

Beltran predicted that procedural narrative tools will help "crack the code" of pricey triple-A game development by making it easier to tell larger-scale stories, though they won't be a cure-all.

"I love story-forward, story-first content," Beltran said. "That is where I live. That's, I think, why a lot of people love the BioWare style, because we really get to have that. And we have to figure out how to do it cheaper going forward…

"There is a thought trap here that is really easy to just accidentally fall in. Where we just go, 'Cinematics are quality. Cinematics are the best thing. If you have good cinematics, you're the best game.' I think we inherited some of this from when prestige narrative really became the thing on TV. We're like, 'Oh, we're going to take all of that and we're going to put it in videogames. We're prestige narrative too! Look how fancy we are, we're the best.'

"I think sometimes even as devs we have to take one step back and go, 'Well no actually, prestige narrative 'gold' cinematics are a tool that we can use and not the thing that makes us good.' And I think we've accidentally trained audiences to think that way too—that if you have the best cinematics you're the highest quality game. What is quality? I don't want to interrogate how you judge a game, but there's so many things that make a game good. I prefer to focus on emotionality, like what actually reaches into a person and grabs them and makes them remember Morte, 20 years later, as opposed to, 'Wow, I could see the sunlight off of that water in that cutscene with that waterfall mist.'"

Our RPG roundtable also included Josh Sawyer and Lis Moberly of Obsidian Entertainment, and covered a range of topics, including tabletop systems that videogames should steal from and their favorite NPC companions. You can read more and listen to the whole 80-minute conversation right here(opens in new tab).

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Yup, nikkas be giggling when I say stuff like the industry is currently in a bubble when it comes to Triple A titles but it's facts and should be common sense for people that actually pay attention to gaming news.

Triple A games are a huge risk most are hail Mary passion projects now.

Edit: or super by the metrics and numbers... meaning regurgitated trends that have shown to be profitable in recent years. Currently that's what most are.

The best games now are double A indie games.

Consolidation isn't happening because of XYZ, it's happening because stuff cost too much to make.

And on top of costing a ton, the industry is changing so you can't work people like you use to (which is good for employees but bad for gamers) games are taking longer and longer to come out and the gamers are so cynical and bougie now that a triple title that took 6 years to make can get negative press and reviews for any kind of problem.

Jim Ryan ain't just talking when he said they need COD revenue. They count on that to offset the cost of these games and deals.

Last edited:

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Devs are expected to deliver more and more on the same human/technology/monetary budget. I think the wall has already been hit which is why we are getting less and less AAA games every year.
It was going to happen eventually. I think the PS3/360 era was when the downward trajectory started. A lot of "mid tier" developers started to phase out and games weren't as experimental because one low selling game could mean the closure of the company

Fctftl

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Devs are expected to deliver more and more on the same human/technology/monetary budget. I think the wall has already been hit which is why we are getting less and less AAA games every year.
I agree, the bloated cost is hampering the industry, which is why we are seeing a smaller output of diverse AAA games compared to the the 360, ps2, ps1, and SNES gens.

I know @Gizmo_Duck will make a thread called "is this the greatest year for games ever?" like he does every year, but the truth is output and risk taking has stagnated for the big dogs. cost production and expectations go up, much more money to lose, more devs go with whats already been proven to work.

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yup, nikkas be giggling when I say stuff like the industry is currently in a bubble when it comes to Triple A titles but it's facts and should be common sense for people that actually pay attention to gaming news.

Triple A games are a huge risk most are hail Mary passion projects now.

The best games now are double A indie games.

Consolidation isn't happening because of XYZ, it's happening because stuff cost too much to make.

And on top of costing a ton, the industry is changing so you can't work people like you use to (which is good for employees but bad for gamers) games are taking longer and longer to come out and the gamers are so cynical and bougie now that a triple title that took 6 years to make can get negative press and reviews for any kind of problem.

Jim Ryan ain't just talking when he said they need COD revenue. They count of that to offset the cost of these games and deals.
That is the stone cold, sad truth.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
It’s also why most big budget games are leaning towards the same “cinematic” tropes. Gotta be as safe and universally appealing as possible. Can’t be too difficult. Can’t lean too much into comedy, or any one distinct artistic/narrative style. Gotta be flashy and kinda shallow.

I’ve been having much more fun with more mid level games lately. They usually offer something more unique and challenging in both gameplay and setting/narrative.

num123

Speak like a child
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area/Chicago
All that is great but i am not trying to hear that shyt from someone that worked on CP77. All of that doom and gloom but you could not put out a properly functioning game at launch even with massive crunch time, cut content and features. A lot of this pain is due to poor planning and management of the development process, not because the customer expects too much or comparing the game to others.

Sorry if the customer expects a working game at launch and even more sorry that customers compares your game to others to illustrate how many features or standards are missing from the game.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
All that is great but i am not trying to hear that shyt from someone that worked on CP77. All of that doom and gloom but you could not put out a properly functioning game at launch even with massive crunch time, cut content and features. A lot of this pain is due to poor planning and management of the development process, not because the customer expects too much or comparing the game to others.

Sorry if the customer expects a working game at launch and even more sorry that customers compares your game to others to illustrate how many features or standards are missing from the game.
Did you read the article breh?

They talked about the challenges and complexity of that game.

It was extremely more detailed and complicated than the witcher, trying to get it working on the same hardware.

Last gen versions probably should have been dropped, but they achieved something really great with what they did release.

BobbyWojak

Superstar
Daps
Yup, nikkas be giggling when I say stuff like the industry is currently in a bubble when it comes to Triple A titles

And they have no one to blame but themselves, focused on the wrong things, pushing scale and graphical fidelity over design and innovation because it's easier to market, they've been on this since the beginning of the 7th generation. Let them fail, it'll be better for all of us.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I agree, the bloated cost is hampering the industry, which is why we are seeing a smaller output of diverse AAA games compared to the the 360, ps2, ps1, and SNES gens.

I know @Gizmo_Duck will make a thread called "is this the greatest year for games ever?" like he does every year, but the truth is output and risk taking has stagnated for the big dogs. cost production and expectations go up, much more money to lose, more devs go with whats already been proven to work.
I think we've had great years for gaming, and this year alone already has bangers that can put it in the running for goat goty.

But people don't really enjoy games like they did back in the day.

Truth be told a lot of the games from decades past that we consider goated are a bunch of great games yes, but even at the time outside of the usual suspects, they were games that were 7 and 8's.

Now dudes don't even look at 7, 8 or 9's games as potential goat games.... And if a game like that does win *ahem it takes two* there is probably a bit more than meets the eye. Truthfully I blame that on the game awards, the only games that matter to people are the ones that make it on there, if you didn't make trending gaming news do you really exist long term?!? *Rhetorical question

3 of my goty games that dropped last year don't even get mentioned regularly sifu, triangle strategy and chain echos, And these games are rated pretty high all 8 and above I believe.

The problem is the big dogs are the only games people put eyes on and remember.

A handful of game awards and the only one that the general gaming public cares about is basically the equivalent of the MTV movie awards.

TLDR; the last 6 years or so have been great for gaming goat years. But peoples options, taste, likes, habits, expectations and environments have changed so much that we/they don't enjoy things like we did 15 years ago or longer.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
And they have no one to blame but themselves, focused on the wrong things, pushing scale and graphical fidelity over design and innovation because it's easier to market, they've been on this since the beginning of the 7th generation. Let them fail, it'll be better for all of us.
You kinda gotta go for what people are buying. Games cost so much to make now you gotta aim for the largest market just to make your money back.

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It's what we were spending our money on, though.

num123

Speak like a child
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area/Chicago
Did you read the article breh?

They talked about the challenges and complexity of that game.

It was extremely more detailed and complicated than the witcher, trying to get it working on the same hardware.

Last gen versions probably should have been dropped, but they achieved something really great with what they did release.
How much of issues they experienced were general game issues vs inefficiency and mismanagement? How much of the pain felt from the development process was from normal problems or incompetence?

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
It's why Nintendo will always have a leg up it comes to these games for the time being.