Watching Captain Marvel again after binge watching Ms Marvel….

Ghost Utmost

The Soul of the Internet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the Aether
It was fine.

But some of the Marvel entries have been electrifying so even "fine" is not really good enough for this type of movie.

A bit unfair, but it's a good problem to have. Making some pieces so good that your fans get spoiled on pure magic. And get mad when the next work is only above average.

The_Truth

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I mean, you can say the same thing about the first Iron Man. Once he builds the suit he wasn’t tested.
But most of his character development came BEFORE he gets in the suit. In the beginning of the movie, Tony is a self-absorbed playboy who thinks nothing about how his actions affect others. Then he gets a hole blown in his chest, is taken prisoner by a terrorist organization, and comes face to face with the consequences of people using the weapons that he built. We actually get to SEE Tony struggle in real time before he becomes Iron Man.

LordDeathwatch

Valar Morghulis
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore, MD / Charlotte, NC
She has the same problem as Superman in film; she's so powerful that there's very little to actually threaten her so the audience has to empathize with her dilemmas in saving others because she's never in danger. Unfortunately Brie didn't have enough charisma onscreen to make that connection with the majority of the audience, thus the backlash (outside the usual suspects).

Spider Man is an everyman that tries to make a living while saving people, Batman is a normal dude fighting crime and trauma, Ironman is a normal guy fighting crime globally and trying to correct his own mistakes, Cap and T'Challa were normal then enhanced but still deal with human issues and aren't invincible.

If you're going to be OP, you have to be charismatic and have a story compelling enough for audiences to care because you are never realistically in danger. Supes, Thor, Hulk, etc. all had to meet that bar but next to none in the first film.

Dwayne_Taylor

Superstar
Daps
I know casuals don't care about comic source material but this movies sucks IMO, in part because they reduced Monica Rambeau to Carol's child sidekick and wrote Monica's father out of her story so her mother could be in a weird relationship with Carol.

Monica should have had her own franchisee, she is not Carol's black friend.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
The problem it suffers from is that you don't really get the impression that she earned anything. The best hero journeys are ones where they fail at some point, learn, get back up, are tested and ultimately prevail. Once she gets her powers, she's not really tested at all. She just cuts through people with no problem. If you look at the other top Marvel origin movies - Iron Man, Thor, Cap, Black Panther, they all have to go through a lot before eventually emerging triumphant. This is what CM was lacking, as well as that Brie wasn't all that charismatic. It had enjoyable moments, Talos was great, and I always like seeing the cosmic side of the MCU but overall just ok IMO. I'm hoping The Marvels fixes a lot of that.
I think the part of the movie that was supposed to be her "going thru something" is her Black girlfriend scolding her about how she changed and who she was before she left and then she has to used that when the Supreme Intelligence is putting her down or whatever. It’s not much but I think that was supposed to be a break thru for her.

I liked the Kree Sci fi vibes early in the movie alhough it is short lived. Also Talos was great and I liked how they adapted the Mar-vel storyline from her comic book origin. But yeah still bottom tier although there are probably 5 or so worse MCU joints.

Bar Razor

All Star
Daps
I mean, you can say the same thing about the first Iron Man. Once he builds the suit he wasn’t tested.

This movie was about the Kree kidnapping Brie and wiping her memory. They trained her for 6 years. She had her powers but they but shackles on her.

All this movie was about was rediscovering who she was. And as far as adversity, she went thru or her whole life.

The timing of this movie is what through people off.

And Ant-Man 2 is another underrated movie. It set up a lot of shyt in the MCU. But since Ant-Man 2, and Captain Marvel came out after Infinity War and before there were no higher stakes (both movies had minor stakes and small plots), they both got overlooked. People only saw them as filler until End Game.

Tony goes through the type of character development in the cave Carol never has in the whole film. come on now. Additionally, he's tested when he's almost killed by Stane sabotaging his heart and then just barely beats Iron Monger. Nothing like that in CM. CM isn't connecting with people overall, which is why instead of giving her a proper CM 2 sequel, it's "The Marvels" that will focus on Photon, her and Ms Marvel. I actually like the character, and want her to get better but not going to ignore the obvious flaw - that Marvel seems to see as well. Again, hopefully they see what can be improved, and do so in the sequel.

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:
Tony goes through the type of character development in the cave Carol never has in the whole film. come on now. Additionally, he's tested when he's almost killed by Stane sabotaging his heart and then just barely beats Iron Monger. Nothing like that in CM. CM isn't connecting with people overall, which is why instead of giving her a proper CM 2 sequel, it's "The Marvels" that will focus on Photon, her and Ms Marvel. I actually like the character, and want her to get better but not going to ignore the obvious flaw - that Marvel seems to see as well. Again, hopefully they see what can be improved, and do so in the sequel.

Danvers sacrificed herself during the mission that gave her powers. She blew up the engine knowing it would kill her.

Rell84shots

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
Maaaaan, I watched it finally after listening to these white boy incels and it was cool!

Shyt, I watched buzz light year and that was cool too!

Ima stop listening to these suckers and watch whatever tf I wanna watch…
:stopitslime:
White incels hated it because of feminism, I hated it because they made Monica idolize a white woman when the person she was closes to was her father Frank.

Bar Razor

All Star
Daps
Danvers sacrificed herself during the mission that gave her powers. She blew up the engine knowing it would kill her.

My man, there's a reason that Carol isn't getting a sequel in her name, despite the first one earning over a billion. Imagine a Black Panther sequel (if Chadwick had lived), being called "The Wakandans" or Iron Man sequel being called "Boyz in da Armor". Carol's journey didn't resonate like it should have, part of which is the perception that she Rey'd it. Now you may think that's inaccurate, and that's fair, but Marvel seems be looking to course correct in her next feature.

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:
My man, there's a reason that Carol isn't getting a sequel in her name, despite the first one earning over a billion. Imagine a Black Panther sequel (if Chadwick had lived), being called "The Wakandans" or Iron Man sequel being called "Boyz in da Armor". Carol's journey didn't resonate like it should have, part of which is the perception that she Rey'd it. Now you may think that's inaccurate, and that's fair, but Marvel seems be looking to course correct in her next feature.

You mean like Captain America 2, where you had Black Widow and Falcon share the screen? Or Captain America Winter Soldier where everyone was in it.

Or Thor 3, where Thor shared the screen with Loki, Hulk and Valkyrie.

Or Spider Man who had hella cameos.

Or Dr Strange 2 where there were hella cameos

Obviously, the MCU has evolved. More characters are crossing over into movies. And the fact that there are 2 characters that share the name Marvel, it would make sense to call it something else. I would’ve done the same thing. I kinda think Marvel is also past full fledged origin stories at this point.

Bar Razor

All Star
Daps
You mean like Captain America 2, where you had Black Widow and Falcon share the screen? Or Captain America Winter Soldier where everyone was in it.

Or Thor 3, where Thor shared the screen with Loki, Hulk and Valkyrie.

Or Spider Man who had hella cameos.

Or Dr Strange 2 where there were hella cameos

Obviously, the MCU has evolved. More characters are crossing over into movies. And the fact that there are 2 characters that share the name Marvel, it would make sense to call it something else. I would’ve done the same thing. I kinda think Marvel is also past full fledged origin stories at this point.
Right, but all those sequels you named had the names of the characters in the title, and featured additional characters like Marvel movies have evolved to do. They were clearly marketed as the solo character's sequel movies - and though they feature other characters the main focus was still on them. Carol, in only her second movie mind you, is not getting a "Captain Marvel 2" title - but rather "The Marvels" which by all indications will focus on the three somewhat evenly. I would submit to you that this wouldn't be happening if Marvel felt her movie had resonated like some of the others. It would be a clear "Captain Marvel 2" and would have had guest stars like the other movies. I'm going to bet it will be "Shang Chi 2" or "Shang Chi and the.... (or whatever it will be called)". They obviously seem to feel that, based on the overall view of the first movie, putting "Captain Marvel" in the title would be a detriment. So it's now a team joint.