Watched Jason’s Lyric For The First Time. Highly Disappointed

RaspberryFitted

Boyz In Motion Member
Daps
Reppin
G-Co
You mean to tell me you got a retired Vietnam war veteran with a mental illness, his ex-wife traumatized by the change in his behavior, two brothers — one which killed the dad trying to protect the mom while the other was in & out of jail (likely suffering from that trauma)… with great foundation with the backdrop being mid 90s Houston…

AND THE MAJORITY OF THE FILM IS A LOVE STORY CENTERED AROUND JADA fukkING PINKETT :mindblown:

no focus on how a traumatic event can lead two brothers on two separate paths??!? We had to get TWO sex scenes of Jason and Jada but damn near none of Josh’s growth being an ex-con or how his mother is dealing with the pain?!?

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
You mean to tell me you got a retired Vietnam war veteran with a mental illness, his ex-wife traumatized by the change in his behavior, two brothers — one which killed the dad trying to protect the mom while the other was in & out of jail (likely suffering from that trauma)… with great foundation with the backdrop being mid 90s Houston…

AND THE MAJORITY OF THE FILM IS A LOVE STORY CENTERED AROUND JADA fukkING PINKETT :mindblown:

no focus on how a traumatic event can lead two brothers on two separate paths??!? We had to get TWO sex scenes of Jason and Jada but damn near none of Josh’s growth being an ex-con or how his mother is dealing with the pain?!?
Movie is trash, with a good soundtrack

Controversy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Philly
When you fall in love with a woman you think you're gonna spend the rest of your life with, you have to face the trauma that could potentially hinder your relationship

I know you don't see the point of it OP, but blk men have to emotionally/spiritually overcome demons to love the right woman properly

RaspberryFitted

Boyz In Motion Member
Daps
Reppin
G-Co
When you fall in love with a woman you think you're gonna spend the rest of your life with, you have to face the trauma that could potentially hinder your relationship

I know you don't see the point of it OP, but blk men have to emotionally/spiritually overcome demons to love the right woman properly
The film didn’t give us a strong reason to buy into their “love”. A few dates, he rented out a bus… I GUESS the conversation on the train tracks about wanting to go anywhere is cool.

the plot should of been focused on Jason unpacking his trauma before transferring to Dallas for that Assistant Manager position… along with trying to get his brother on the right path and worrying about how his mother will be without him. Would of been essentially the same exact theme you stated: a black man leveling up but learning how to leave his past behind.

There was no need for Lyric.

AMcV'88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, Downtown, Switzerland
keep it a buck, theres a couple movies from then that if you were to watch it for the first time now they'd be garbage.

Love & Basketball and Love Jones are two that come to mind. especially Love Jones
like somebody thats seen those twitter screen caps, tumblr gifs etc and how cool they make that movie look on there is going to be so disappointed when they actually watch it.

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
keep it a buck, theres a couple movies from then that if you were to watch it for the first time now they'd be garbage.

Love & Basketball and Love Jones are two that come to mind. especially Love Jones
like somebody thats seen those twitter screen caps, tumblr gifs etc and how cool they make that movie look on there is going to be so disappointed when they actually watch it.
And both of them shyts made it into the Criterion Collection because the owners felt guilty when they got called out for the omission of Black films :mjlol:

Love Jones I let slide because it never saw a blu-ray release until now but Love and Basketball already had one. I guess the WNBA aspect is the "cultural touchstone" that made it worthy :comeon:

AMcV'88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, Downtown, Switzerland
And both of them shyts made it into the Criterion Collection because the owners felt guilty when they got called out for the omission of Black films :mjlol:

Love Jones I let slide because it never saw a blu-ray release until now but Love and Basketball already had one. I guess the WNBA aspect is the "cultural touchstone" that made it worthy :comeon:

Boomerang should've got it before those two
but they need to give us the Paid In Full Criterion Collection.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga

Love Jones holds up very well for me and hell, its pretty topical for a LOT of the miscommunication issues plaguing black relationships today.

Love & Basketball though has aged terribly