Was plant based meat a fad?

straightcash

All Star
Daps
Yes, all "new" food is a fad. Humans have been on earth for 300 thousand years. We have had plenty of time to discover everything we like to eat from all the edible resources on earth.
anything new likely went undiscovered for a reason.

Modern eating habits are largely a product of the last 100 to 500 years though.

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
We have a low bar for intellect within our populace, this will likely apply to many and it may apply to you .. and if it does, don't feel bad that it does, it applies to significantly more than 90 percent of our populace who either; don't know how to, don't prioritize or can't interpret the ingredients of the foods they eat

Even when confronted with this proposition you may even point that finger at me for saying it, as you feel safety in hiding behind the consensus validation

But these people don't eat whole foods - like items that are a food themselves, some way or another natural and of the Earth, not product that are a concoction of ingredients

So when you say "plant based meat" do you even know what you are referring to? Are you referring to soy protein or maybe pea protein coagulated with seed oils and other binders, have you looked at the ingredients? ... That's "plant based" or more commercially manufactured processed food product? Why don't you call it what is, or better yet ... Call it what YOU call it after taking a look at it, not what you were told to call it

How low is the bar of investigation for you before you put something in your body?

It is actually my own inequity that I am not able to say this in a kinder way ... On a widespread basis people are just not intelligent, which is okay.. I've learned to value other traits like kindness and confidence

Being willing to eat things without knowing what is in them is as irresponsible as doing drugs without knowing what is in them, this is something that can, at minimum, carry the same stigma ... But the sheeple haven't orientated to think that way yet
Yap elsewhere:camby:

Absolut

Legal Bookie
Daps
Reppin
Las Vegas
Said it in these threads about Petri dish meat before. If you have a product that is essential to human life (food in this instance) and in extreme cases of emergency like an earthquake, floods, hurricanes etc and it’s let behind by tens of thousands of people who are scrounging for every morsel in a supermarket, it is not going to be sustainable long term. Whole shelves in otherwise empty markets full of beyond meat, and tofu patties etc. no one eats that shyt

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Plant based sausage isn't bad but it's mainly in an "oh, that's not bad" way. Not an "oh, I need to buy this again and again" way. If I want sausage I usually want it slow cooked on top of the oven in the skillet, oils and fat alongside a bunch of onions and garlic making my entire house smell good. The plant stuff can't replicate that. Sure onions and garlic are gonna smell great no matter what but that oil/fat from the sausage takes things to another level. Or if I'm making some tomato sauce...I want that sausage in there slowly cooking flavoring my sauce. Another thing you can't do with the plant stuff.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Yes, all "new" food is a fad. Humans have been on earth for 300 thousand years. We have had plenty of time to discover everything we like to eat from all the edible resources on earth.
anything new likely went undiscovered for a reason.

Breh, nearly all of agriculture including almost every single food in the modern human diet was invented in the last 10,000 years, so by your argument ALL supermarket food from the milk to the beef to the fruits to the vegetables should be bushed because humans didn't eat it for their first 290,000 years on Earth.

And that's not even accounting for processing.....the food that Americans ate in the second half of the 20th century, the food you consider "normal", was NEVER a part of the human diet until after the Industrial Revolution.

Sinnerman

Veteran
Daps
There's a lot of real vegetarian recipes and such if being vegetarian is your thing. Otherwise just eat real meat

Wildin

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Don't need plant based meats when there are plants that are already a good substitute such as artichoke hearts. If you can get them frozen you are lucky.

I only have one store that has them frozen and they are 5.99 a bag and it's like 2 cups. It's not a lot. You can get cans of it for like $2. And there's easily 3 dozen things you can do with them raw, cooked, baked, fries, grilled.

Throw them in the air fryer with a little salt and pepper and your good.

I threw a can in some beef stock. Whipped up some taco seasoning from scratch. Some onion, a tomato, cilantro.....it's a damn shame I cut out eating chips and tortillas.

But I will be trying a street taco salad.

Once I cut bread out of my diet I'll be back at 11% body fat. Bread is pretty much my only source of added sugar. I could buy better bread but even the best ain't the best. I just want to cut it out completely.