Was Listening to Issac Hayes on Youtube and Was Recommended this Japanese 80's Artist [Check Update]

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN
:ohhh: yo this is crazy, I was looking for this thread today!!!

i've been on this CITY POP kick for a few days now...this shyt sounds so good :blessed:

City Pop: A Guide To Japan's Overlooked '80s Disco – Telekom Electronic Beats

City pop is a genre of Japanese popular music that was popular in the 1980s and featured a “cosmopolitan” image that appealed to those who benefited from the so-called post-war “economic miracle,” an economic boom that took place in Japan between the end of World War II and the Cold War. City pop can sound like anything from soft, album-oriented rock to sophisticated boogie disco, yet the term is often used in a narrow sense in Japan. It’s an established genre, and city pop records have been compiled in many published guide books for collectors. Outside of Japan, city pop might be viewed as general 1980s Japanese music, and now that Japanese music has become trendy, city pop has begun to be uncovered and even reissued.

Spiritual Stratocaster

Jesus is KING
Supporter
Daps
Was listening to Hung on My Baby by Issac Hayes and was recommended this video. Never heard of her and listened to it out of curiosity. I was shocked. The music at least is pretty dope chillout jazz tune.Could imagine listening to this on a late night drive and feeling relaxed.

:leon: Someone needs to sample this shyt. The intro is pretty chill and sounds good. Of course I don't understand a word she says after that.
@Fatboi1

Got some decent Jazz guitar in there at 3 minutes in. Figured I share since I felt I found a little gem.

This song is fukking piff :ohlawd:

Bucciarati Joestar

Honorary Joestar
Daps
Reppin
M O R I O H @ Tdot.
these joints was also recommended...........i have them on replay. SMOOOTH AF

Showered by this neon night
I wonder what you do to satisfy that empty heart
Do you invite a man into your arms
And make believe he played the perfect part
And played it just for you

My lady
She smoking black holes at the moon
Thats my lady

THE BASS ......bumpin

Last edited:

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN
Stumbled upon this article about City pop...this paragraph near the bottom though :picard::

https://beardedgentlemenmusic.com/2017/08/23/japanese-city-pop-1980s/

The genre faded away with the financial crash of 90’s leading to what was known as ‘the lost decade’
a place where City Pop’s dreamy and unwavering optimism had no place.

The modernism of the 80’s Japan very quickly became the postmodernism of its journey into the 90’s
and as the capitalist dream became a memory its soundtrack followed and became the relic of a decade remembered for its now burned out ambition;
the ‘bubble’ had burst and Japan had awakened from its decade long dream into a less care-free reality.

tenor.gif

VelourSocks

Absentee Mind But The Wisdom Reach Mine
Daps
Reppin
Yoshi City
Anyone got any Spotify playlists for music similar to this

This shyt is jamming

A1aaa

Respectful Fade Runner & Card Puller
Daps
It's not from the 80s/90s, it's very current actually (last year). I've been bumpin this recently, and the album was pretty dope.

this is FIRE :wow:

i miss tokyo... was there for a few months last year. it's :wow:

rantanamo

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Stumbled upon this article about City pop...this paragraph near the bottom though :picard::

Japanese City Pop:A Trip back to Japan's Capitalist Fantasy of the 1980’s

The genre faded away with the financial crash of 90’s leading to what was known as ‘the lost decade’
a place where City Pop’s dreamy and unwavering optimism had no place.

The modernism of the 80’s Japan very quickly became the postmodernism of its journey into the 90’s
and as the capitalist dream became a memory its soundtrack followed and became the relic of a decade remembered for its now burned out ambition;
the ‘bubble’ had burst and Japan had awakened from its decade long dream into a less care-free reality.

tenor.gif

Sounds just like 80s style R&B in the US, which was decidedly upscale in appearance and sophisticated in production. Faded as the Bush I economy faded and we went with more street stories and new jack beats.

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN
Sounds just like 80s style R&B in the US, which was decidedly upscale in appearance and sophisticated in production. Faded as the Bush I economy faded and we went with more street stories and new jack beats.

Sade was considered yuppie music in the 80’s, she was criticized for it - new wave was also seen as upscale and promoted a certain lifestyle

I don’t think that applies to RNB, quiet storm only promoted themes around love and love making (fukkin’)

City Pop was music exclusively for that lifestyle and driving around in your nice car in Hong Kong at night - that lifestyle went away, so did the music

Last edited: